Share your Queen Mary 2 memories

JT1101

First let's be clear the ship is not going anywhere. This is just for us to share with others memories we have made on this remarkable ship:

I remember the friends I have made who still are with me today. They span the whole age, locale and other gamuts. 

I remember learning what French Toast means in the UK as opposed to the USA (I'm American). 

I remember the trip where Stephen Payne was speaking and when he appeared in the program the attendance for the Cunard Insights speaker (from the New York Times) plummeted as everyone flocked to hear Payne, causing a standing room only crowd in Illuminations. 

I remember talking about marine diesels for probably an hour with Captain Philpin in King's Court of all places. It was later at night and for some reason he came through. 

I remember my first trip with Captain Hashmi in 2018 near Christmas (the one with all the storms) and how I did something not the wisest - laps on the promenade with frequent stops to look over the side in adventurous weather. Wound up drenched in seawater from the spray and shivering (too much loss of core heat). Went inside and one of the King's Court attendants saw me, took me to a seat and got me hot tea with lemon to help me heat back up. We chatted a bit and I said I was heading back to my stateroom to change out of the drenched clothing. 

When I got there my steward was eating with a laundry bag to take the sodden clothes (and leather jacket) to get cleaned and the leather treated for salt water. Obviously the attendant at King's Court who had my name called Housekeeping who paged my steward. Over and above the call!

There are more memories, how about you? 

• Like 2

Nice thread idea! I've made a few over the last couple of years.

Not exactly on the ship, but seeing the Discovery documentary on her construction when I was 7 years old. My family were already frequent cruisers on Princess, and I had managed to persuade my parents into trying Cunard & QM2 - we all got hooked, and now I continue to travel today.

On a related note, my first solo cruise on her to celebrate my 20th birthday. It was a five night trip to Bruges, Hamburg & Le Harve I believe (not 100% sure on Bruge, I'll have to find the booking confirmation) - was lucky enough to receive a gift from Cunard:
IMG_2851.thumb.JPG.bfaea8aeaf99075ee9c99055dedfbdf0.JPG

IMG_2850.thumb.JPG.18d29511d1d8bb264d251ff3a7969e36.JPG

Some of the issues that go on every now and again that stick out as well, not in a negative way are when we were given an extra sea before Hamburg as the weather had caused them to close the Elbe River, and arriving into New York at 3pm this summer.

One of my favourite memories was probably the first transatlantic crossing since the pandemic. The worry of testing positive for COVID before a trip I was so excited about and the relief when the negative text came through - being able to meet Stephen Payne and view his lecture on this great ship as well.

Lastly and most prominently was meeting my now girlfriend last year onboard while I was a solo traveller and she was travelling with family. We both share an interest for cruises and this ship in particular, and we now often cruise with Cunard together.

Lots of good memories and still more to be made. Of course, meeting so many people over the years during my time as a solo traveller I don't think I'll ever forget.

• Like 4

We believe every one of our sailings from the QE2, Caronia and QM2 is a Memory.

So, So many to note.

Norway sailing, Voyage thru the Panama Canal and some of the Maiden Voyages into Ports of Call for the First Time.

The several Captains, Commodores that honored our invitation to our Meet & Greets on Board.

Attending a Wedding on Board of another Passenger by the Staff Captain in the Board Room..

Yes, many too many to mention.

• Like 2

Boarding for the first time and immediately feeling as though I had come home. Having the same feeling every time I've boarded her since. 

Doing laundry in my ball gown on gala night (very few people want to do laundry on gala night, as it turns out, which makes it a very convenient time to sneak in a load.)

(And now I'm curious - what does French Toast mean in the UK?) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Coming into the Princess Grill a year after our first crossing to be greeted - ‘Good Evening Mr & Mrs Mickb - how nice to have you back’.  - probably only a good customer recognition programme - but we felt that we were walking on air - & all our preferences were remembered.

Never happened on any other ship!

• Like 3

First time we walked into the Queens Room in 2008 and ever since. I felt there really was a “sense of occasion” that Cunard marketing department likes to convey. Very unique at sea. 
Having DW offer to go into the PG kitchen and teach the chef how to make real gnocchi!

• Like 2

Boarding in Brooklyn for our honeymoon TA back to the UK, only for my new husband to realise that he'd left his new wedding ring in the hotel room in Manhatten! We eventually tracked it down and it came home solo on the following EB crossing! 

Sadly the shine was dimmed for the actual boarding but the rest of the trip made up for it. Favourite spot (apart from my beloved Commodore Club) was the low deck where you can sit inside just above the ocean and watch the sea. Perfect.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, neeuqdrazil said:

Boarding for the first time and immediately feeling as though I had come home. Having the same feeling every time I've boarded her since. 

Doing laundry in my ball gown on gala night (very few people want to do laundry on gala night, as it turns out, which makes it a very convenient time to sneak in a load.)

(And now I'm curious - what does French Toast mean in the UK?) 

I learned that American French Toast is called "eggy bread". 

I had ordered French Toast on the Queen and got this easy dish:

IMG_0180.jpeg

More memories:

I remember entering my stateroom and finding a bottle of champagne and a complimentary dinner for two in the Verandah compliments of Cunard. I even asked what the occasion was and was told just showing appreciation. 

I also remember one of the ship's photographers giving me pointers on how to take good pictures on a ship, even though that kind of hampers her potential income. She told me to hold the camera in one hand and use the other to either hold a rail or against a wall to get my motion aligned with the ship. Worked beautifully and I learned later how to brace to use two hands on the camera. 

8 T/As with my father including the big band cruise 2016 in which he sang in the choir they formed. Also carol singing Christmas 2017 westbound T/A ❤️❤️. Memories to be cherished forever.

And of course the chart room best bar at sea.

• Like 2

Aloha. Have been blessed to sail Cunard for decades in many of their ships and in various stateroom categories. In May 2004 when the QM2 was brand new I invited about 40 relatives to join my parents for a 50th wedding anniversary sailing. It was a memorable experience and I thank you for this thread.  Sad to say my father is no longer with us and my mom at 90 has dementia robbing her of all her experiences. Other relatives have also left us but the joy was priceless. We have sailed QM2 many times since and their other ships as well as my parents before my father’s passing and mom’s illness but fond memories will always be with us.  All the best!

• Like 2

Back when I was living in UK my mother held a few shares in Carnival. She received an invitation to visit the QM2 and I was thrilled to be able to accompany her on a special shareholder open day at Southampton, 24 May 2004. The programme (cover here) is one of my treasured possessions.

qm2tour2004.jpg

• Like 5

Being on board when her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II passed away. It was humbling to see how her death was honored by Cunard line. Participating in the inter- denominational church service which honored the Queen’s life and death, listening to Captain Hashmi deliver a memorial tribute, signing a book of remembrance and condolences, among other tributes. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, NE John said:

Sailing out of NY Harbor while on the QM2 bridge, a true once in a lifetime experience. Going under the VN Bridge, the personnel in the Bridge goes silent. DSCN0553_Original.thumb.jpeg.eafaa2e866744c7a7508f630022e86e8.jpeg

I probably shouldn’t have taken any photos on the bridge…

• Like 2

One of my favorite hangouts later in the day after the show was actually in one of those side tables in King's Court - you know the ones that overlook the Promenade. Especially when there is wilder weather I'd sit in there, sip hot tea and just enjoy the world and the majesty of the elements. 

I also liked being in the Golden Lion in the evenings. And hanging in Sir Samuel's in the late morning for one of the wonderful hot cocoa's. 

• Like 1