Hal's new policy for changes is not nice

Oceansaway17

I wanted to change my sailing to another date for next year and yes, I bought the protection plan.

So now the new policy is any sailing you cannot ask to move to another one and transfer the deposit.  I even bought the protection plan.

So, my $300 deposit is lost but oh if I filed a claim, I could get back just $90.  how nice.  

Ok something is wrong with this policy and no other line does this to folks. Not the sister companies or others.

HAL wants your money but does not want to handle changes. They insist on making a new booking all over again. So now in the last 12 months I have lost 500 dollars due to their so-called policies that frankly is disgusting IMHO.

Say what you want about CCL or NCL or others, they would never treat me this way.   Just so mean to lock in a person and not allow any changes.

It all has to do with Non refundable deposits and buying the protection plan does not matter.  But I was not asking for it back.  I wanted to move my cruise back two weeks on the same ship out of Copenhagen.

Sorry HAL but your games with deposits and bookings are not competitive.   I would never give a penny to any more of your ships and so now I just need to find a way to get off their private sales brochures.    Hope you all think twice before booking with HAL because I cruise all others and I know I would not be losing my money for asking for a change.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I rarely book a non refundable deposit but if I do, I know the terms and conditions and honestly, if you are savouring book and advance fare or HIA.

I am not a fan of non refundable deposits but there are times they have to be done.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

This is why we always book with refundable deposits.

even if refundable they will not transfer to another sailing.

HAL seems to have a computer system that wants to create a new number to changes.

Other lines do not do this.   As one who tries to travel on a lot of them.  TRUST me when I say HAL has the worse setup and they hide behind their so called promo codes.  

Like I said, making changes is not something they want to nor keeping reservation number the same either.

I was told a year ago if I did want to make a change it would be find if I had vac Protection.  So I did add it at the time of booking, and now they have again updated their rules.

Just called the mariner society and all she did was stick me with someone who could not help and was told upper management treats all changes as cancel and restarts.      And he was nasty to tell me other cruise lines does this too.   Nope they do not RCI, Celebrity, Disney will let you make changes and just charge $100 fee.   

So for all you who just love HAL, just know they play games with your money that other cruise lines DO NOT.   Sure wish I could meet that CEO of HAL to chat.  Because CCL is looking better and better.

• Like 1

HAL has offered these lower rates for a while now. When you accept the fare/offer, you are accepting those terms- to get what you booked: date, rate, location. If you want the option to make changes later, book under different terms and pricing.

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Just called the mariner society and all she did was stick me with someone who could not help and was told upper management treats all changes as cancel and restarts.      And he was nasty to tell me other cruise lines does this too.   Nope they do not RCI, Celebrity, Disney will let you make changes and just charge $100 fee.   

It's $100 pp, so typically $200 for Celebrity to make a change.

2 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

It's unfortunate, but shouldn't you at least be eligible for 80% of the deposit with your protection plan?  That would be $240 back, so at least out only $60.

I just glanced at the plan, and that was how I read it.

It’s likely she’s subtracted the cost of the protection plan in figuring out the total loss. That’s what I would do.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

HAL has offered these lower rates for a while now. When you accept the fare/offer, you are accepting those terms- to get what you booked: date, rate, location. If you want the option to make changes later, book under different terms and pricing.

this is a rather cloudy area and not spelled out.   their promos is all about the price and they have such small confusing fine print that IMHO makes them despicable. 

3 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

But if you cancel before final payment, you get it all back.

We don't use HAL insurance. When we've had to change itineraries, our insurance was applied to the new booking. Of course, that may be because in FL the insurance fee is refundable if you cancel before final payment and don't make a claim.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

this is a rather cloudy area and not spelled out.   their promos is all about the price and they have such small confusing fine print that IMHO makes them despicable. 

I think they are kinda clear - for example these are the 2 options - one is reduced non-refundable deposit and the other is refundable (higher cost fare) image.thumb.png.c4031cbf25be913527c3747a5dfddebd.png

and then when you click through details for flexible fare - it states it a "refunadable" deposit

image.thumb.png.a36ce8154a07ba73ab2ddc707c8b9f12.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

I think they are kinda clear - for example these are the 2 options - one is reduced non-refundable deposit and the other is refundable (higher cost fare) image.thumb.png.c4031cbf25be913527c3747a5dfddebd.png

and then when you click through details for flexible fare - it states it a "refunadable" deposit

image.thumb.png.a36ce8154a07ba73ab2ddc707c8b9f12.png

but they forget to tell you if you want changes to your sailing, you must cancel and then start all over again.  They make more work and confusion that other lines.

by the way, I do not always get that prompt.     I am beginning to think one MUST use a TA for HAL to read all the fine print and to handle the unclear issues.    

• Like 1

That is not a new policy.  They have for many years offered three fare levels.  Many of the small deposit sales are non-refundable but recently they actually would give you your dollar back if you changed your mind.  I don’t think it was about being nice but more to keep the bookings clear of holds that people changed their minds about.   A good travel agent can help you avoid the pitfalls. 

My policy is book refundable deposits only and use third party insurance.   

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

but they forget to tell you if you want changes to your sailing, you must cancel and then start all over again.  They make more work and confusion that other lines.

by the way, I do not always get that prompt.     I am beginning to think one MUST use a TA for HAL to read all the fine print and to handle the unclear issues.    

I have also never received the Advantage Fare (cruise only, refundable deposit) price online.  I have always had to call and request it.  I have never heard of anyone calling it a Flexible Fare.  I just tried a dummy booking for next year and had 2 offers - cruise only non-refundable and cruise plus HIA with a refundable deposit.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cbr663 said:

I have also never received the Advantage Fare (cruise only, refundable deposit) price online.  I have always had to call and request it.  I have never heard of anyone calling it a Flexible Fare.  I just tried a dummy booking for next year and had 2 offers - cruise only non-refundable and cruise plus HIA with a refundable deposit.  

I should clarify the one I showed was a short cruise (no HIA available). I was just trying to show the conditions (refundable vs non-refundable) are reasonable clear.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, cbr663 said:

Only by using a TA, or booking with a PCC can you get the Advantage Fare.  (There have been many threads on here about advantage fares, and how to book them.)  I would never book a non-refundable deposit on a cruise, just like I would never book non-refundable airfare.  For me, too many things can go wrong between booking and the actual trip for me not to.

L.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

For as long as I have been booking cruises on HAL I have always been under a policy that if I want to change to a different cruise, then I must cancel the first (with whatever refunds/losses that entails), and book the new cruise as a separate cruise. 

This is nothing new to me. 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

no what I was told.   Even the Mariner society would not help and each agent says something different.

I fell HAL is sneaky with promo codes, deposit rules and overall the way they handle bookings.

Other lines would do much better and I will have to give up on HAL for good but they had better choices for Norway for 2024 and 2025.

also HAL doesnt appear to like the word "Good Will" as upper management has told all agents, no changes or exception to the rules so do not ask.   

Good Will is not a factor - you as a consumer should be aware of all the facts - refundable or non refundable  before you hit submit. Perhaps it would have been better to use a travel agent or PVP.

Since you are now determined to give up on HAL - please remember that other cruise lines also have non-refundable fares, so be sure to make an informed decision.

• Like 10

The OP is using some rather colourful words to describe a company stand on a business transaction. They also suggest as fact that other cruise lines would do it differently. I would suggest a product was purchased, with terms and conditions and to allow for a lower fare it required a "Non Refundable" deposit. Now the OP wants a different product and wonders why they should forfeit the "Non Refundable" deposit, funny thing about non-refundable deposits, they are non refundable. If you want flexibility then buy the product that allows that.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 5

56 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

The OP is using some rather colourful words to describe a company stand on a business transaction. They also suggest as fact that other cruise lines would do it differently. I would suggest a product was purchased, with terms and conditions and to allow for a lower fare it required a "Non Refundable" deposit. Now the OP wants a different product and wonders why they should forfeit the "Non Refundable" deposit, funny thing about non-refundable deposits, they are non refundable. If you want flexibility then buy the product that allows that.

Exactly 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So let me think out loud and get it straight in my little mind.  HAL offers a non-refundable deposit, and if you accept those terms, you get a lower price on your booking.  When you later want to make a change, HAL simply holds you to the original agreement.  Is that wrong?  I cannot help but wonder that if a non-refundable deposit let you make changes, like with a normal refundable deposit, why would anyone ever book the higher cost refundable deal.

Where do I have this wrong?

Hank

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, bennybear said:

I too only book refundable fares.  Works for me. 

I asked the agent if I had a refundable fare could that be moved to a different sailing and they said NO.

So the issue is more than the deposit type. It is about making changes. Guess they do not like doing them.   Like I said before, I called NCL once and they told me no problem, things happen will be glad to make a change for you.  I DO NOT get this from HAL.  Lousy way to do business.  I merely wanted to share but it does appear some folks will argue and take HAL side.  oh well

Me thinks the do not have a good system for handling reservations.  All they want to do is cancel completely and start over.  Again, other lines even with Carn Corp do not re assign a new reservation number.  They keep the same one. HAL needs to keep up with then industry.   And some folks on cc need to stop adoring HAL so much.  

• Haha 2

Just now, Blackduck59 said:

I think your reservation probably did stand or does stand as originally booked, unless you cancelled it, which means you loose the NON REFUNDABLE deposit. Everyone makes choices you chose a product and put a deposit on it, then you wanted a different product.

I was not asking for a refund I just wanted to move the money to a more expensive sailing.

HAL really wants to satisfy the folks on 14 days cruises or longer and they want to satisfy those in expense suites.   a solo person in an interior room just does not deserve a break.

But hey you keep on loving HAL and thinking their business is wonderful.   Me nope.  Heck HAL doesnt really even want families or kids on their ships much either.  says a lot. 

6 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I asked the agent if I had a refundable fare could that be moved to a different sailing and they said NO.

So the issue is more than the deposit type. It is about making changes. Guess they do not like doing them.   Like I said before, I called NCL once and they told me no problem, things happen will be glad to make a change for you.  I DO NOT get this from HAL.  Lousy way to do business.  I merely wanted to share but it does appear some folks will argue and take HAL side.  oh well

Me thinks the do not have a good system for handling reservations.  All they want to do is cancel completely and start over.  Again, other lines even with Carn Corp do not re assign a new reservation number.  They keep the same one. HAL needs to keep up with then industry.   And some folks on cc need to stop adoring HAL so much.  

But a refundable deposit could be cancelled and rebooked without any loss to the passenger. Who cares if it’s a different reservation number?  You keep mentioning the  reservation number changing but why does that matter if you are getting all your money back?  It sounds like the real issue is the no refundable deposit. I don’t know any cruise line that lets you move a nonrefundable deposit to a new itinerary without some sort of fee or loss to the passenger. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3