Hal's new policy for changes is not nice

Oceansaway17

Just now, Bostonjetset said:

But a refundable deposit could be cancelled and rebooked without any loss to the passenger. Who cares if it’s a different reservation number?  You keep mentioning the  reservation number changing but why does that matter if you are getting all your money back?  It sounds like the real issue is the no refundable deposit. I don’t know any cruise line that lets you move a nonrefundable deposit to a new itinerary without some sort of fee or loss to the passenger. 

Royal won't keep your deposit, they will yes charge you a fee but they will accommodate you.

Just so you know, when a reservation number is cancelled, then a new one brings into play new promos and lots of neat little things they can use to argue with you and charge or deny.   Why does it even have to change. It is their way of overcontrolling and keeping deposits of a person who just wants to move to another itinerary on the same ship.  

I have met TA  while travelling on other ships and they do NOT like HALs way of doing things.  It loses the trail and is not what competition does.

In the past I have never lost money with NCL for any changes or cancel.  Even one time when I actually had an NRD.  Usually, they have Ref deposits.

I guess HAL has to be a bit mean because of all the longer cruises with the expensive rooms and folks making changes.   

I do criticize them for their pricing, promos, and practices.   I hope all the other lines do better over the next several years and that HAL goes in the tank.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Royal won't keep your deposit, they will yes charge you a fee but they will accommodate you.

Just so you know, when a reservation number is cancelled, then a new one brings into play new promos and lots of neat little things they can use to argue with you and charge or deny.   Why does it even have to change. It is their way of overcontrolling and keeping deposits of a person who just wants to move to another itinerary on the same ship.  

I have met TA  while travelling on other ships and they do NOT like HALs way of doing things.  It loses the trail and is not what competition does.

In the past I have never lost money with NCL for any changes or cancel.  Even one time when I actually had an NRD.  Usually, they have Ref deposits.

I guess HAL has to be a bit mean because of all the longer cruises with the expensive rooms and folks making changes.   

I do criticize them for their pricing, promos, and practices.   I hope all the other lines do better over the next several years and that HAL goes in the tank.  

Royal deposits are mostly nonrefundable which is why I rarely look at them. Their refundable deposits cans be hundreds of dollars more than their advertised deals. And if they charge $100pp to make a change, how is it any better than just losing a $100 deposit with HAL to cancel and rebook?  $100 is $100. 

HAL often has discounted deposits when they are nonrefundable. I usually won’t book them unless they are the really cheap $1 or $25 deposits because if I lose that who cares? I would never pay a $500 deposit that couldn't be refunded like Royal often asks for. Some people do though. Just know what you are getting into. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Bostonjetset said:

Royal deposits are mostly nonrefundable which is why I rarely look at them. Their refundable deposits cans be hundreds of dollars more than their advertised deals. And if they charge $100pp to make a change, how is it any better than just losing a $100 deposit with HAL to cancel and rebook?  $100 is $100. 

HAL often has discounted deposits when they are nonrefundable. I usually won’t book them unless they are the really cheap $1 or $25 deposits because if I lose that who cares? I would never pay a $500 deposit that couldn't be refunded like Royal often asks for. Some people do though. Just know what you are getting into. 

one more time folks.

I was told early in the year if I purchased the Protection plan with a NRD, I could make changes.

And the agent did admit that it has now changed. Where is that fair that a new policy effect things already booked.

I hope all of you have your drinks, taxes, shore excursions all increase because of a recent policy change.   HAL just seems to do whatever crap they want to.   I have lost respect.

I was hoping to share information to help others and instead ya all just flame me.

I hope HAL makes more changes and some of you then change your mind.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Oceansaway17 said:

you miss the point.  Other cruise lines allow changing a sailing to another one and moving deposit.  They might charge a fee of $100 but they DO NOT cancel a reservation number and then open up a new number and use that as an excuse to steal the deposit.   Oh I was told 8 months ago when I had an issue of not purchasing up front the protection and that time I was allowed to move sailing but could never purchase protection.

HAL IMHO has too strict rules on deposits and they won't make changes to a reservation but rather cancel and start all over again. That is when the web of deceit comes out.

Other cruise lines will keep same reservation number, allow for changes with a fee.   

Those of you who just love HAL policies just wait until one bites you in the a***.  there is a better way and even CCL handles changes much better. 

By these boards standards I am new to cruising (15 cruises four different lines), have used both refundable and non-refundable bookings. Knowing what non-refundable means I only choose that option when I am 100% certain I can make that cruise. All my cruises booked 6 months or more out I book refundable.

Of the few cruises I have changed my booking # always changed.

As for HAL's policy being too strict that's subjective. I find things I like and dislike for deposits to final payment dates with all the lines, it's up to us to read the contract and accept them or not before we sign.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Guess I am in the process of testing this out.  Have a $1 deposit on a Dec 2024 sailing with/HIA and CO that we no longer want.  Hoping to move it to another cruise this summer (new booking), but guessing by all the comments here I should just write that all off.  Sad.  As the OP stated, I do this all the time with Princess and NCL as our plans constantly change.  Guess I'll need to be more wary when we make future plans with HAL.  And yes, I use a PCC as they can usually beat any quote I can get using other sources.

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, scooter6139 said:

Guess I am in the process of testing this out.  Have a $1 deposit on a Dec 2024 sailing with/HIA and CO that we no longer want.  Hoping to move it to another cruise this summer (new booking), but guessing by all the comments here I should just write that all off.  Sad.  As the OP stated, I do this all the time with Princess and NCL as our plans constantly change.  Guess I'll need to be more wary when we make future plans with HAL.  And yes, I use a PCC as they can usually beat any quote I can get using other sources.

Good luck to you but I don't think you will have great success. The $1.00 deposit sale is so limited time wise. You may get your deposit back but it's doubtful you can transfer it to a new booking. I think you are likely to find a new cruise but it will be priced at current rates and deposit amounts. I think you will have noticed from this thread that it is probably a good idea to book with a refundable deposit unless you don't mind losing the deposit if plans change.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Here's what I think the OP's beef is about:  They have great perks, and don't want to lose them. But they will lose them if they cancel and rebook.  They probably don't want to have to pay the Have It All rates to get the perks they had (or some of the perks they had) on this reservation number.  But I think most of us on here know that is how HAL handles things, and the OP didn't.

Unfortunately, I don't know how other lines handle this.

L.

• Like 5

The OP IS correct in stating that other lines WILL "MOVE" a booking to another sailing.....booking number and all.

RCI has done this a couple times over the years at NO Charge.

Just this past week, we moved a booking on Celebrity from one ship to another, there was a charge of $100 PP. Booking number remained the same.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, L454S said:

The OP IS correct in stating that other lines WILL "MOVE" a booking to another sailing.....booking number and all.

Just this past week, we moved a booking on Celebrity from one ship to another, there was a charge of $100 PP. Booking number remained the same.

I have done the same on HAL but often to get a different date, sale or sailing I may have to forfeit some perks from the original deal.  No one who wants to stay in business let’s a customer keep doubling down on perks while maintaining an original low price offer.  

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 5

Never, ever rely on what “someone says”.  Read.  I am amazed how many questions are asked on this board when the policy is clearly stated in written form on the website.  At least most questioners ask prior to booking.  

I do think it would be beneficial to have a 24 hour look back period for cruise reservation similar to what airlines have.  Of course it wouldn’t help the OP who I assume  waited until a better deal came out and now wants to double down.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bostonjetset said:

I agree.

I currently have and NCL, Celebrity and Princess bookings (as well ad HAL) . Apart from NCL, if I change my Celebrity cruise it will cost me $200 in change fees. If I move/cancel my Princess cruise it is $200 cancellation fee.  I typically book HAL with FCD's for deposits, so if I want to change/move the cruise, it's $200 lost deposit.

They are all just variations of the same thing (except for NCL)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, L454S said:

Yes, but did all of the perks from the original booking also transfer to the new one? 

17 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

So now the new policy is any sailing you cannot ask to move to another one and transfer the deposit.  I even bought the protection plan.

So, my $300 deposit is lost but oh if I filed a claim, I could get back just $90.  how nice.  

Thanks for the heads-up. Many pax aren't aware of the different policies within the industry.

For myself, I dislike booking the expensive refundable fare. Often, hundreds or thousands more. Instead, I find that last-minute fares work well. Add a HAL protection package and good to go.

Particularly in these days where HAL offers $1 and $99 deposits. BTW, that's a Good Friday deal coming this week.

59 minutes ago, DE Solo said:

Yes, but did all of the perks from the original booking also transfer to the new one? 

Not sure what "perks" you refer to.

My perks are provided by my travel agent, such as OBC(with RCI and Celebrity) or fare discount (Princess or HAL). Sometimes a free dinner for 2 at specialty dining.

Rarely we get OBC from the cruise line. But that would not transfer over to the booking, only the offer for the "new" booking, if any.

6 hours ago, L454S said:

Thanks for agreeing.

1 hour ago, HappyInVan said:

Thanks for the heads-up. Many pax aren't aware of the different policies within the industry.

For myself, I dislike booking the expensive refundable fare. Often, hundreds or thousands more. Instead, I find that last-minute fares work well. Add a HAL protection package and good to go.

Particularly in these days where HAL offers $1 and $99 deposits. BTW, that's a Good Friday deal coming this week.

I would not even take a free cruise from HAL at this point

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, leerathje said:

Here's what I think the OP's beef is about:  They have great perks, and don't want to lose them. But they will lose them if they cancel and rebook.  They probably don't want to have to pay the Have It All rates to get the perks they had (or some of the perks they had) on this reservation number.  But I think most of us on here know that is how HAL handles things, and the OP didn't.

Unfortunately, I don't know how other lines handle this.

L.

How rude to assume perks.

I do not drink or gamble or use internet on ships so do not make unkind comment.

I wanted to change my Iceland cruise to a Norwegian only cruise due to what is happening in Iceland with earthquakes and volcanic activity.

And I was in an interior room.

HAL just doesn’t want make changes only new booking or cancellations.

3 hours ago, rodndonna said:

I agree.

I currently have and NCL, Celebrity and Princess bookings (as well ad HAL) . Apart from NCL, if I change my Celebrity cruise it will cost me $200 in change fees. If I move/cancel my Princess cruise it is $200 cancellation fee.  I typically book HAL with FCD's for deposits, so if I want to change/move the cruise, it's $200 lost deposit.

They are all just variations of the same thing (except for NCL)

And Disney as well. Both NCL and DCL will reply to any requests for changes by saying “no problem I will be happy to help”

I DO NOT hear those words from

HAL any more and that is why I started this thread.

If I have helped anyone then you are welcome.  The rest of you, well keep your faith in a company who won’t use the above words that NCL and DCL does.

5 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I do think it would be beneficial to have a 24 hour look back period for cruise reservation similar to what airlines have.

HAL does allow a 24-hour courtesy hold which I've used a few times when I need to check out competitor itineraries or timing issues. If I were unsure of booking for any reason, I'd use that as a way to keep a cabin/price while gaining some time to commit fully.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Oceansaway17 said:

And Disney as well. Both NCL and DCL will reply to any requests for changes by saying “no problem I will be happy to help”

I DO NOT hear those words from

HAL any more and that is why I started this thread.

If I have helped anyone then you are welcome.  The rest of you, well keep your faith in a company who won’t use the above words that NCL and DCL does.

I really don’t think Disney as a comparison is fair. Of course they have superior service. They are Disney and their cruises can cost double what an HAL cruise costs. That’s like saying Neiman Marcus has better customer service than Macy’s. It’s a given. 

NCL may have been better terms for moving cruises and keeping the same reservation number but I just got off the Bliss last week and the onboard experience was not nearly as good as HAL (except the Broadway style shows). No free room service. No free on demand movies in stateroom. Only once daily cabin cleaning and always at different times that were inconvenient. Adult area hot tubs closed for the whole cruise. Nightmarish tender operations. The point is that every line has pluses and minuses. NCL has far more minuses IMO than HAL does. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Bostonjetset said:

I really don’t think Disney as a comparison is fair. Of course they have superior service. They are Disney and their cruises can cost double what an HAL cruise costs. That’s like saying Neiman Marcus has better customer service than Macy’s. It’s a given. 

NCL may have been better terms for moving cruises and keeping the same reservation number but I just got off the Bliss last week and the onboard experience was not nearly as good as HAL (except the Broadway style shows). No free room service. No free on demand movies in stateroom. Only once daily cabin cleaning and always at different times that were inconvenient. Adult area hot tubs closed for the whole cruise. Nightmarish tender operations. The point is that every line has pluses and minuses. NCL has far more minuses IMO than HAL does. 

Sorry you had bad experience on NCL.

might have been a one off thing as usually they are good.

Disney is a fair comparison if talking about money issues and customer experience as they are better

than HAL.

I have been following this thread and trying to figure out what the "real" issue is.  I have had trouble figuring out what is the big deal - HAL is the one saddled with paperwork to cancel and rebook.  So OP must be out something.  Here is my guess and OP can correct me if I am wrong.  

OP booked with a non-refundable deposit (which we all know costs less, sometimes lots less) but bought insurance to recoup deposit if cruise cancelled.  It is a bit unclear but if OP has to cancel (if HAL requires cancellation and rebook), OP will recoup deposit but is out the cost of the insurance plan which won't transfer over to the new cruise. Or maybe OP is out some portion of deposit.  And OP will have to buy another insurance plan.  There may also be an issue about what the necessary deposit is on the new cruise compared to existing deposit on the booked. cruise.  I don't know how that works.  Bottom line, OP is bearing the consequences of selecting a non-refundable fare.

I have trouble seeing this as a deceptive practice by HAL.   I admit I have been tripped up by the small print in the endless T&C with HAL and other cruise lines, but I don't see why HAL should be expected to allow changes on cruises the way the OP wants.  If I book a hotel with a major chain for a stay in NYC, I would not expect I could just switch it to Philadelphia.  I would have to cancel and rebook. 

The cruise lines have their games and the passengers have theirs.  When HAL announced the OBC for AARP membership that was for future cruises only, how many cruise critic posts did we see of folks cancelling a cruise and then rebooking to get that extra money?    There are lots of other hints on these boards so savvy cruisers can game the system, all very legitimately, to reduce costs or increase OBC or whatever.  As posted above, we usually have a choice to book refundable or a non-refundable.  Choices have consequences.

What am I missing?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, badtwin said:

I have been following this thread and trying to figure out what the "real" issue is.  I have had trouble figuring out what is the big deal - HAL is the one saddled with paperwork to cancel and rebook.  So OP must be out something.  Here is my guess and OP can correct me if I am wrong.  

OP booked with a non-refundable deposit (which we all know costs less, sometimes lots less) but bought insurance to recoup deposit if cruise cancelled.  It is a bit unclear but if OP has to cancel (if HAL requires cancellation and rebook), OP will recoup deposit but is out the cost of the insurance plan which won't transfer over to the new cruise. Or maybe OP is out some portion of deposit.  And OP will have to buy another insurance plan.  There may also be an issue about what the necessary deposit is on the new cruise compared to existing deposit on the booked. cruise.  I don't know how that works.  Bottom line, OP is bearing the consequences of selecting a non-refundable fare.

I have trouble seeing this as a deceptive practice by HAL.   I admit I have been tripped up by the small print in the endless T&C with HAL and other cruise lines, but I don't see why HAL should be expected to allow changes on cruises the way the OP wants.  If I book a hotel with a major chain for a stay in NYC, I would not expect I could just switch it to Philadelphia.  I would have to cancel and rebook. 

The cruise lines have their games and the passengers have theirs.  When HAL announced the OBC for AARP membership that was for future cruises only, how many cruise critic posts did we see of folks cancelling a cruise and then rebooking to get that extra money?    There are lots of other hints on these boards so savvy cruisers can game the system, all very legitimately, to reduce costs or increase OBC or whatever.  As posted above, we usually have a choice to book refundable or a non-refundable.  Choices have consequences.

What am I missing?

Sounds like you got it.

Substitute “wants to do Norway in place of Iceland” for NYC and Philadelphia.

• Like 3