If you cruise Princess, take your own RATs

On 11/15/2023 at 3:01 PM, arxcards said:

Take care.

Personally, I think any ship that doesn't provide free screening tests for cabin contacts has rocks in their heads.

I am in shock!  Any cruise line that does this deserves the result!!  Common sense has gone out the window. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

They don't want the numbers to get out.

I think they see it as a cost, and I see their point. All other ailments require the "patient" to pay for the required medical services, and then recoup the cost against their travel insurance policy. The cost of those tests is over the top, unless it also includes having a nurse assist/supervise the test.

Barb had a blocked ear from diving some years back, and the ship shop didn't have any drops so directed me to the medical centre. Wondering about how much this was going to set me back, I was charged $US12 for ear drops and a syringe/catheter as well as advice from the nurse. Fair to say I was rapped at how HAL Oosterdam handled it.

• Like 2

On 11/16/2023 at 8:04 AM, MMDown Under said:

My daughter had a Covid injection prior to travelling overseas recently.  Seems the Covid injection currently is not the latest version available.  Govt approved the latest one in Oct but it is not available to the Public yet.  I have been waiting for the latest version.

Hi Marion,

Where do I find information about the latest jab, or which version it is? I'm heading o/s in 30 days and I'd like to have a booster. I'd obviously like the latest one but I'm running out of time for it to be effective. I'm actually more worried about the 20 hours in planes pre-cruise, plus the time in airports than the cruise itself!

The Australian Government has accepted the latest advice from the Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation (ATAGI) on the use of new COVID-19 XBB 1.5 vaccine as part of the National COVID-19 Vaccine Program. 

All available COVID-19 vaccines continue to provide strong protection against serious disease. The new XBB 1.5 vaccines have been found to provide modest improved protection against the COVID-19 strains circulating in the community. The XBB 1.5 vaccines will be available along with the existing bivalent vaccines.

Providers can order this new vaccine, with doses being delivered ready to administer from 11 December 2023. Sites that receive their orders earlier than this date can commence administration as soon as they receive them. 

1 hour ago, mum and son said:

Hi Marion,

Where do I find information about the latest jab,

The Qld CHO in his latest report said that the majority of hospitalised COVID patients were older people who had not been vaccinated within the last 6 months - and encouraged those who are not "current' to get a booster . He mentioned nothing about any new/latest vaccine being necessary 

• Like 1

On 11/15/2023 at 11:51 AM, Relaxing Robbies said:

We are currently cruising on Majestic Princess and brought along our own supply of 5 RATs. I used 2 of them with a negative test followed by a positive test the next day. My husband has since been doing his own test daily and fortunately is still testing negative. We have used all our own tests so my husband went to the medical centre to ask if they could supply him with any RATs. They are happy to supply one if he agrees to pay $38 for a single test.  No thanks, considering he does not have any symptoms.

There has not been a single mention of covid since we boarded the ship. Even at boarding we were no longer asked any questions about our health. There does not seem to be any mention of covid or Princess’ policies in relation to covid anywhere on their website. It is like they think it no longer exists. I guess if you charge $38 for a RAT to self administer a test, then people don’t bother unless they are very ill. Maybe they have a deliberate policy to deter testing now, because if you don’t test, then there is no covid on the ship?

Somehow I misread this as two tests for $38. Yes, you would want to be sure you had it to avoid paying $38 each day.

How are you now that your cruise is over? Were you otherwise looked after during your ISO?

11 hours ago, arxcards said:

Somehow I misread this as two tests for $38. Yes, you would want to be sure you had it to avoid paying $38 each day.

How are you now that your cruise is over? Were you otherwise looked after during your ISO?

We returned home yesterday. I still have a stuffy nose, but I was fortunate that I was never very sick. I did not even require panadol.

Princess did look after me quite well in isolation. Dining room menus and suite breakfast menus were delivered to me each day so that I could order my meals for the next day. Apart from one occasion, the meals arrived about 12.30 for lunch and 6pm for dinner, and selected times for breakfast. The meals arrived hot. One day when guests were ashore in Noumea I received a nice note and some lovely chocolates.

• Like 3

On 11/20/2023 at 6:05 PM, mum and son said:

Hi Marion,

Where do I find information about the latest jab, or which version it is? I'm heading o/s in 30 days and I'd like to have a booster. I'd obviously like the latest one but I'm running out of time for it to be effective. I'm actually more worried about the 20 hours in planes pre-cruise, plus the time in airports than the cruise itself!

new version from 11/12.  when do you go?