where to stay 2 days pre-cruise from Rotterdam?

craig01020

I would have thought that central Amsterdam would be the obvious choice, if you've never been to the Netherlands before. If you stay somewhere near Amsterdam Centraal station, it'll be handy for jumping on a train to Rotterdam Centraal on the morning of your cruise departure. There's a direct train about every 10 or 15 minutes, taking about 40 minutes to get to Rotterdam.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, craig01020 said:

Just booked a cruise that leaves from Rotterdam...first time in Netherlands. I plan to fly in a couple of days early. Looking for tips on where to stay in Amsterdam, or Rotterdam, or somewhere inbetween.

Thanks.

Very close to the HAL embarkation at Wilhelminakade is Hotel New York in the former HeadOffice of Holland Amerika Lijn. Nearby, with free shuttle service to the embarkation hall is s.s. Rotterdam (number 5 in the row of HAL Rotterdam ships). Hotel New York is a few minutes walk to the embarkation accross the street and a few minutes more to the Metro.  The metro offers very short trips to the center of Rotterdam and for example to the railway station (Centraal Station). By rail you can travel easily to visit for example Delft, The Hague, Leiden, Haarlem, Amsterdam etc.   If however you would like to visit the windmills at Kinderdijk: just accross the bridge (seen from embarkation location) you could go there by Waterbus.  

If however you prefer staying in another town, you could consider Haarlem (very nice town and donot forget to visit Frans Hals Museum) or The Hague (maybe Hotel des Indes?). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rotterdam is fine, but definitely stay in Amsterdam. I frequent the Doubletree Centraal Station in Amsterdam which, as the name says, is pretty much right next to Centraal Station and the endless trains that criss-cross every corner of The Netherlands. Plenty of other hotels around there too, but that's where I stay and have always had good experiences. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Our last cruise was from Rotterdam and we stayed at the Hotel Nhow, a few hundred metres from where the ship docks.  Very convenient.  Rotterdam has lots of things to see, but ... since you've never been to the Netherlands before, I'd stay in Amsterdam and explore that city.  So much to see - museums, canal tour, Anne Frank house, a short train ride to Zaanse Schans, etc etc.   A friend recommended Banks Mansion to stay at in Amsterdam.

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know how to get a private car shuttle from Amsterdam to Rotterdam?  We will have 4 pieces of luggage, 2 regular and 2 carry on so I don’t think the train would work.

8 hours ago, ckgator said:

Does anyone know how to get a private car shuttle from Amsterdam to Rotterdam?  We will have 4 pieces of luggage, 2 regular and 2 carry on so I don’t think the train would work.

Google taxi Amsterdam Rotterdam, you will get enough taxi companies (or taxi partnerships) with their rates happy to take reservations. You will end up having a normal blue plate taxi, ranging from medium stations and sedans to Mercedes E class or Mercedes van. Black car services are offered less and are mostly the same taxi unless you opt for the real high executive ones.

Book a rate going 110-125-140'ish Euro for one way. Train and metro would be a bit over 40 Euro, perhaps a few Euro more for possible tram/bus in Amsterdam to one of the railway stations.

On 3/9/2024 at 10:31 PM, ckgator said:

Uber works very well in Amsterdam-- I've used it many times to get from Amsterdam to Schipol and also Rotterdam to the Schipol. Priced competitively with taxis but the benefit of just using your credit card. There's an app called Blacklane that works for something a little nicer-- more like a black car. Its more expensive than Uber but a little nicer and you schedule in advance. 

I wouldn't completely rule out the train-- platforms are even with the trains themselves, elevators in the station. And the train is by far the fastest and least expensive way to get to Rotterdam-- about 40 minutes vs over and hour by car. Very easy to do. 

Posted (edited)
On 3/10/2024 at 11:54 AM, FreestyleNovice said:

We will have 4 pieces of luggage, 2 regular and 2 carry on so I don’t think the train would work.

That is a normal amount of luggage, (some folks travel with more than that) especially if you are two persons as each would take one suitcase and one carry on and that would easily work for train travel.

Edited by edinburgher

On 3/10/2024 at 3:31 AM, ckgator said:

We have used staxi.nl several times and have them booked again for April.  Fixed price quoted online.

On 3/9/2024 at 10:31 PM, ckgator said:

We used Daytrip for Amsterdam to Rotterdam in October 2022 and the price was 152 Euros. We shared with a solo from our roll call so this cost was split in 3. Cost probably A little higher now but check out quoted price online.

• 3 weeks later...

We stayed at the Pulitzer (highly recommend) and the Kimpton DeWitt (do not recommend) back in May/June of '23.  I did a detailed live if you're interested in more info about the hotels, as well as what we did in Amsterdam and the surrounding areas.  I HIGHLY recommend a day trip to Giethoorn.