Nassau Blue Lagoon Excursion Safety Warning

desibee

1 hour ago, samiam0403 said:

Just saw this on another site - people are making jokes about how it's no big deal since it's shallow warm water in the middle of the day, and ignoring the fact that a woman died. People are awful. 

I've also seen these comments on various FB and IG posts, people claiming "its shallow, and clear and you can see land, they have life jackets on...what's the big deal"  I guess they don't think about the panic that sets in when you realize you are on a SINKING BOAT.  People have kids that are scared, seniors, people who can't swim, and just the crowd response to an emergency- it's chaos. I feel terrible for the family of the person who died, and the ones who were just enjoying vacation and had this happen. We were on that boat(or one of the same ones) a month ago, so it's definitely scary to think about. 

• Like 7

I’m aboard Indy and talked to a family who were on the tour boat.  They said they were on their own for a while helping each other out of the boat.  They had to grab life jackets, which as anyone who has been on these boats knows are not always stored in an easily accessible manner.  They said that took a while to get on everyone.  Lots of panic.  They said the crew scrambled to the top deck leaving the motor running and the prop was churning up the sea bottom. One of the other boats that eventually arrived was yelling at the boat crew to turn the engine off.  Lots of people with bruises.  Lost wallets, phones, this family took their passports and they were lost.  The father said he really feared for their lives.  He said it was two big waves that hit them along the side.  It was very windy in Nassau yesterday and you could surf in the waves coming in outside the breakwater.  It was a ship purchased excursion.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

I just saw one of those ferry/boat ship excursions loading a lot of people onboard in Nassau next to the ferry we were taking to Paradise Island.  Not a surprise.  How sad for the families!  My husband and I were just shocked at how many they stuff onboard.  It's not just Nassau.  It's all over.  

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Was it exclusively RCCL on this excursion or were passengers from other ships on it as well since most lines sell Blue Lagoon excursions.

I have been on these ferries a couple of times and have met people from other cruise lines on them.   

The ferries also sell their own tickets online vs buying from cruise lines.

Probably unknown right now if it was solely royal passengers onboard this particular ferry.

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 1

The public memory of such tragic occurrences is very short.  Give it a week or two and they will be flocking back to purchase tickets again, if available.  

It is possible to think of and be sympathetic to the tragic circumstance and discuss the issues, fortunate or not, at the same time.  Sometimes, it's just a matter of proper timing, though.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ret MP said:

The public memory of such tragic occurrences is very short.  Give it a week or two and they will be flocking back to purchase tickets again, if available.  

It is possible to think of and be sympathetic to the tragic circumstance and discuss the issues, fortunate or not, at the same time.  Sometimes, it's just a matter of proper timing, though.  

True, accidents happen, everywhere. Seen many posted on Cruise Critic in last 26yrs. Couple yrs ago had Tour Bus flip with Passengers from our Royal Ship and a Celebrity, Injuries and Death. Then was on Panama Canal Cruise last month, massive rain with over yr worth in 2hrs. Was at a stand still, Trees came down, rock slide with a Huge Boulder landed 10 feet from our Van as we were hit with rocks and mud. We had to ride threw water in back of a Police PU, walk across a Bridge covered with water. Took us 6+ hours get the 3 miles back to Ship. Doing same Cruise next Oct, this wouldn't stop me from taking same Excursion 

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What happened is a tragedy. RCI is responsible for not reviewing the conditions of what they are subcontracting. It is not the first time that an accident happens due to the poor conditions of the Bus, Boat, Helicopter, etc. I remember the Bus that crashed recently on a tour to the Yucatan pyramids, a Helicopter crashed in Alaska, etc.

• Thanks 1

I am not a fan of Blue Lagoon mostly because of the caging of marine animals so they can collect revenue on said caged marine life.  Will never do any excursion anywhere that does this.

There was a fatal shark attack at Blue Lagoon in the last 12 months as well.  This was caused by people throwing food into water for whatever reason and a lady who was snorkeling in the area got caught up in the feeding frenzy created by the food and bleed out from the shark biting her.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Tyler414 said:

I am not a fan of Blue Lagoon mostly because of the caging of marine animals so they can collect revenue on said caged marine life.  Will never do any excursion anywhere that does this.

There was a fatal shark attack at Blue Lagoon in the last 12 months as well.  This was caused by people throwing food into water for whatever reason and a lady who was snorkeling in the area got caught up in the feeding frenzy created by the food and bleed out from the shark biting her.

Here's more on a deadly shark attack like the one mentioned above (there are a few stories of attacks from recent years involving excursions):

https://abcnews.go.com/International/american-killed-shark-attack-snorkeling-bahamas-police/story?id=89417815

Edited by Cap_D

Interestingly I just pulled up the page to look at shore excursions for my Feb Anthem cruise and ALL of the Blue Lagoon excursions are now marked SOLD OUT. Yesterday only the Dolphin Encounter and Beach Day was - and none of the others were marked as “only X spots remaining”. 

So it looks like RCCL is pulling them for the time being. (Though like I said, at least Disney cancelled all their Blue Lagoon excursions yesterday because of the winds.)

Just noting that at least my posts and a few others were moved from the Celebrity board.  Hopefully these are found by anyone considering Nassau excursions or ferry/tender operators and resellers generally.  

Edited by Cap_D

1 hour ago, Cap_D said:

Just noting that at least my posts and a few others were moved from the Celebrity board.  Hopefully these are found by anyone considering Nassau excursions or ferry/tender operators and resellers generally.  

Unless they violated the forum rules, I honestly don't know why they would be removed.  Luckily this info can be viewed with a search engine.  This is a pretty serious issue re the ferry that hopefully is addressed.  It's a pity that Royal and Celebrity do not have reviews of their excursions like Carnival does as this would definitely be helpful in choosing an excursion for a family.  Luckily in this day and age people make videos like the one I watched on Tiktok.  So important to really research excursions and ports and not just blindly pick.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jean87510 said:

Unless they violated the forum rules, I honestly don't know why they would be removed.  Luckily this info can be viewed with a search engine.  This is a pretty serious issue re the ferry that hopefully is addressed.  It's a pity that Royal and Celebrity do not have reviews of their excursions like Carnival does as this would definitely be helpful in choosing an excursion for a family.  Luckily in this day and age people make videos like the one I watched on Tiktok.  So important to really research excursions and ports and not just blindly pick.

My posts were moved to this "Bahamas" board, so not deleted.  Fully agree it's a serious issue with the ferry, and like rideshare and other forms of transportation there is some degree of risk that hopefully those that can address it (cruise lines, local govts etc) step in.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jean87510 said:

IDK what X has done, but as of right now all the excursions on RCCL to Blue Lagoon have been marked “Sold Out”. Yesterday only one was for my Feb Anthem cruise - none of the others even had the “X amount of spaces left”. So they aren’t selling any right now.