Volcano in Iceland

scubacruiserx2

Iceland is on high alert for a possible volcanic eruption near the Blue Lagoon . The town of Grindarvik had to be evacuated and over 800 earth quakes recorded since Midnight . Story here 

https://www.foxnews.com/world/iceland-officials-say-high-volcanic-eruption-possibility-hundreds-earthquakes-hit-region?intcmp=fb_fnc&fbclid=IwAR0H1b5MmrMhUIaHfNmJ1_iI1hySU5J63W-tuaM9anVmAMmqpCFKFsx2HUY

We hope and pray for the people there and hope that our trip on the Nieuw Statendam there isn't on ice .

💗

Edited by scubacruiserx2
  • Like 3

This is not an explosive eruption like 2010 and it seems the experts agree that this eruption Will Not result in air traffic delay. Still can cause lots of damage, but it's more of an oozer absent of gigantic ash clouds. 

https://yle.fi/a/74-20059823#:~:text=Potential volcanic eruption in Iceland will not impact,Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull volcano resulted in massive flight delays.

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 2

When we left for our cruise on the Eurodam on Sunday, November 5th our flight from Vancouver was delayed because of “volcanic ash”.  We missed our connecting flight to Ft Lauderdale because of it.   Seems it travels very far so monitor your flights. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

When we left for our cruise on the Eurodam on Sunday, November 5th our flight from Vancouver was delayed because of “volcanic ash”.  We missed our connecting flight to Ft Lauderdale because of it.   Seems it travels very far so monitor your flights. 

Hi :)...... yes, ash can certainly travel great distances!

Your Vancouver flight was delayed due to an explosive volcanic eruption in Russia. The eruption that will happen in Iceland is not expected to be explosive, this will not likely produce any significant ash cloud so flights aren't expected to be delayed due to this particular volcano (but your advice is solid,  it's always good to monitor flights).

Of course, just because the Iceland Volcano is not likely to cause flight disruptions doesn't mean it won't cause major problems for the people living (and traveling) near. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Hi :)...... yes, ash can certainly travel great distances!

Your Vancouver flight was delayed due to an explosive volcanic eruption in Russia. The eruption that will happen in Iceland is not expected to be explosive, this will not likely produce any significant ash cloud so flights aren't expected to be delayed due to this particular volcano (but your advice is solid,  it's always good to monitor flights).

Of course, just because the Iceland Volcano is not likely to cause flight disruptions doesn't mean it won't cause major problems for the people living (and traveling) near. 

What really bothered us about our first flight was they said it was delayed from 6am to at least 8am.  Then 20 minutes later saying to start boarding that they were taking a different route.  We could have made our connecting flight after all but apparently the airline decided to cancel us & our friends on it plus there were a ton of others who missed their flight.  Luckily we have trip interruption insurance that should cover the hotel we had to get at Calgary airport & our meals.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, canadianbear said:

What really bothered us about our first flight was they said it was delayed from 6am to at least 8am.  Then 20 minutes later saying to start boarding that they were taking a different route.  We could have made our connecting flight after all but apparently the airline decided to cancel us & our friends on it plus there were a ton of others who missed their flight.  Luckily we have trip interruption insurance that should cover the hotel we had to get at Calgary airport & our meals.  

You poor thing. Just super bad timing. Appears that there were only a couple delays/cancellations that dayt, and they only lasted a few hours.

Hopefully you had a good time in Calgary and your trip insurances will reimburse you completely!!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

You poor thing. Just super bad timing. Appears that there were only a couple delays/cancellations that dayt, and they only lasted a few hours.

Hopefully you had a good time in Calgary and your trip insurances will reimburse you completely!!

Thanks. It wasn’t a good start for our first holiday in almost 4 years that’s for sure.  By having our friends with us we had a good time & lots of laughs in Calgary.  We contacted our insurance while in Calgary & all should work out.  Just so thankful we travelled 3 days prior to the cruise.  A fellow on our flight had a cruise the next day & wouldn’t make it.  

• Like 4

Clouds sometimes have curious silver linings ...for some.

Last major Iceland Volcano that delayed flights for days, weeks was right before the start of our HAL Statendam Mediterranean cruise.

We had arrived in Barcelona a few days earlier, and were more than surprised when on embarkation day, the registration clerk scratched out our cabin numbers and wrote in what appeared to be  a coveted smaller 00 number.

Yes, they had upgraded us to a Neptune Suite at check-in because there had been so many last minute cruise cancellations due to the Iceland volcano shut down air connections, the ship was sailing at far less than full capacity.  Our already checked-in luggage with the old cabin number now had to find its way to its new home. 

It is never good to benefit from others misfortunes, so I do hope those passengers who had to cancel all got their full refunds. But it does make quite a story, since we were still fairly new to HAL. They made this complimentary upgrade "investment"  in us, as new passengers. We have now returned this favor, with our own enduring long-term HAL passenger loyalty. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

Clouds sometimes have curious silver linings ...for some.

Last major Iceland Volcano that delayed flights for days, weeks was right before the start of our HAL Statendam Mediterranean cruise.

We had arrived in Barcelona a few days earlier, and were more than surprised when on embarkation day, the registration clerk scratched out our cabin numbers and wrote in what appeared to be  a coveted smaller 00 number.

Yes, they had upgraded us to a Neptune Suite at check-in because there had been so many last minute cruise cancellations due to the Iceland volcano shut down air connections, the ship was sailing at far less than full capacity.  Our already checked-in luggage with the old cabin number now had to find its way to its new home. 

It is never good to benefit from others misfortunes, so I do hope those passengers who had to cancel all got their full refunds. But it does make quite a story, since we were still fairly new to HAL. They made this complimentary upgrade "investment"  in us, as new passengers. We have now returned this favor, with our own enduring long-term HAL passenger loyalty. 

If that had been us I would have been concerned DH would like the NS balcony so much that he wouldn’t book below again.  That has already happened with a veranda that we got a smokin’ deal on. 🥴

• Like 4

canadianbear - I'm glad you and Mr. Bear have trip interruption insurance. I'm always surprised when I meet people on cruises who say they never get it. My stepfather and I would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

This is not an explosive eruption like 2010 and it seems the experts agree that this eruption Will Not result in air traffic delay. Still can cause lots of damage, but it's more of an oozer absent of gigantic ash clouds. 

https://yle.fi/a/74-20059823#:~:text=Potential volcanic eruption in Iceland will not impact,Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull volcano resulted in massive flight delays.

Almost certainly correct, this should be much more a "lots of lava" event, like their last several, with almost no impact outside the local area.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BetsyS. said:

canadianbear - I'm glad you and Mr. Bear have trip interruption insurance. I'm always surprised when I meet people on cruises who say they never get it. My stepfather and I would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. 

Since we are in a Neptune suite the cruise, flights & hotel add up so we bought the whole coverage through our Pacific Blue across insurance.  I’m the same-would rather have it than not. 

• Like 1