LEAVE YOUR CBD HOME ....

Capt_BJ

1 hour ago, Chads2600 said:

I think how they handled it was a bit extreme.  I for one will never cruise with Carnival.

You for one - but there are millions of others who will take your place because this issue does not impact them. I do not think the executives at Carnival will be losing any sleep over your refusal to sail with them.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

On 11/16/2023 at 3:57 PM, dallasdan said:

Do you think she may been belligerent to the carnival security team?  Why wouldn't they just throw it away and let her board.  I find it hard to believe they would have denied her boarding over a legal substance that isn't allowed on board.  If you brought scissors or some other item not allowed don't they just confiscate it?

Because it is not legal on the ships ..  she tried to get by  and got caught

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 11/16/2023 at 9:47 PM, dlphn501 said:

This is the stupidest thing I've ever read.  I get it's a prohibited item on board.  But as someone else mentioned, so are scissors.  How many people have small scissors in their bag on the daily and don't even think about it?  Maybe she has an Rx for it.  And if she does it's even more stupid.  "Yes, you may bring Oxy on board no problem, but please leave your pain relieving gummy bears at home" *eye roll*

Before people come at me, I am adding that I know most people don't have an Rx for it and just try to sneak it on.  But many people do.  Also adding that I am none of these people, but I do still have an opinion.

Having a prescription may be a defense in her court case but it won't get her onboard

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Then a prescription wouldn't have done anything for her.  The cruise line will not accept a "doctor's note" to carry on prohibited  items

What the heck are you talking about? She never claimed to have a prescription...

6 hours ago, RD64 said:

You for one - but there are millions of others who will take your place because this issue does not impact them. I do not think the executives at Carnival will be losing any sleep over your refusal to sail with them.

and in fact, some new cruisers will sail Carnival because of this.

• Like 3

1. 7 hours ago, dallasdan said:

My point that I was trying to make is I doubt she was banned for life because of the CBD.  She must have went full Karen mode. 

2. This is my speculation.

CBD is listed in Carnival’s list of prohibited items, BUT they also say that they will confiscate the item prior to embarkation, without compensation.

HOWEVER, if you combine this with the Code of Conduct part of the cruise contract, THEN they could take the more extreme action. I wasn’t there; I don’t know how the person in question responded. However, she might have been upset if she medically relies on the CBD, and got heated, so Carnival decided to take the more extreme action of banning her for life.

BUT, if its JUST based on her having the CBD gummies, then, yes, that is very extreme.

On 11/16/2023 at 5:21 PM, mz-s said:

Maybe, maybe not. The letter explaining the ban seemed to suggest it was due to behavior as much as it was the drug. But at the same time, to piggyback off your example scissors are not a schedule I drug - so I don't think they needed any reason other than the drugs to ban her.

CBD is not a schedule I drug.

It may be illegal in a number of ports, and against Carniaval rules - but it is not a schedule I drug, and is legal under US Federal law.

Can the dogs actually detect CBD in all forms?  Actual cannabis edibles with THC, I get that, but CBD (unless they are full spectrum with traces of THC possibly), I'm shocked that they can detect anything.  Also, where do you need a prescription to buy CBD products anymore?  I live in one of the most conservative states in the country, and you can buy CBD products in the grocery stores, LOL.   I understand that it's the Carnival rule, and that CBD isn't legal in every country, so I'm not arguing that point, but I'm genuinely shocked that a drug dog can be trained to sniff out all products containing CBD.  It makes me wonder if there was another reason that she was singled out.

Edited to add:  Just saw where they were doing a search due to her carry-on containing nail clippers.  Maybe the title of the thread should be Leave Your Nail Clippers at Home, LOL!

Edited by ryanpatricksmom
addition

On 11/17/2023 at 5:23 PM, ProgRockCruiser said:

You don't know how they handled it.  All anybody has are the second- and third-hand retellings of what was printed in the on-line stories and nothing but supposition beyond that.

Exactly this.   

even if the lady herself gives a "first hand" account of what went down, we're only getting HER SIDE of the story.  (which I guarantee will be presented in a way that makes her look all shiny and pretty...  while making Carnival the evil horn wearing bad guys)

the news has no idea...  they report whatever they need to in order to get views.  Its very rarely the TRUTH or the WHOLE story (and by very rarely, I mean like almost never!)...  they spin the story however they need to, to create drama and generate views. 

(honestly, I can't believe anyone watches the news anymore...  unless they're watching it as they would NCIS or Seinfeld, a purely fabricated show for entertainment only)

so we will never know what truly happened...  but I also believe that she likely got belligerent when they told her she couldn't bring them on board and made a fuss and turned it into more than it needed to be.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Only if the THC level is low

No, CBD is still not a schedule I drug no matter what the THC content is.

The THC - a SEPARATE DRUG - is a schedule I drug.

If your Tylenol is contaminated with heroin - that doesn't make acetaminophen a schedule I drug.

1 hour ago, happy cruzer said:

Would be nice to know the full story.  Will we ever?

Maybe.

If her lawsuit goes forward - there is a chance we'll get discovery, because she (and Carnival in defense) will be attempting to make breach of contract claims.

7 hours ago, Incognito1 said:

That's as long as the THC is less than 0.3%(???forgot the exact number).  

CBD contains no THC.

The gummies someone has may contain BOTH CBD and THC.

The contamination with THC doesn't make CBD a schedule I drug.

Aloha. I am very tolerant and respectful of everyone and their opinions and my opinion is that this issue is no different than alcoholism and if you need to take it on a cruise and can’t do without it you should seek professional help.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LouChamp said:

Aloha. I am very tolerant and respectful of everyone and their opinions and my opinion is that this issue is no different than alcoholism and if you need to take it on a cruise and can’t do without it you should seek professional help.

Regarding CBD products (with no THC required), which was the product in question for this post: your argument is invalid, because many people have prescriptions or doctor recommendations for retail-available low/no-THC CBD to treat conditions, and they want to take them aboard but can't / shouldn't.  This isn't akin to an alcoholic that can't imagine existing without drinking, this is potentially someone who is taking a pain-management treatment on doctor's order.

So while there are recreational users of "CBD gummies", there are many who aren't.

In fact, I bet that the number of truly prescription/doctor-recommended users of CBD products (that in theory need no THC content) far outnumbers the people bringing on "low/no THC" CBD products for recreational use.  The "recreational users" will be instead smuggling on high THC products, because that's what they are looking to enjoy.

If you are referring to pot smokers or users trying to specifically take high-THC products on-board, then I will simply respond that many recreational users may not need the products, but are willing to take their chances to "enhance their enjoyment of the cruise".  And that's their choice to run the gauntlet, and they will have to reap the consequences if caught.

• Like 5