Shoehorns?

Cruise-y

In looking through the “Before You Sail Guide” for the nth time, but the first with NC….

Who still uses shoehorns and clothes brushes as amenities? Aren’t these early 1900s artifacts? 

If you do use them, I really want to know. And why. Are you stretching your shoes? Brushing lint from your morning jacket? And why is Crystal providing them?? I’m befuddled. Thanks.  

5 minutes ago, Cruise-y said:

Who still uses shoehorns and clothes brushes as amenities? Aren’t these early 1900s artifacts? 

If you do use them, I really want to know. 

Definitely still use them - and size matters - I like ‘em long! 

Now what do I use them for? - well that would be telling 

• Haha 5

Several reasons for using a shoehorn.  First, it helps to preserve the heel counter, so that your shoe stays in shape.  Second, if you are wearing a laceless loafer, it makes for easy entry into the shoe.  And even with laced shoes, its an simple way to slide in your foot, especially if you have a high instep.

As for the clothes brush -- do you really want flecks of lint or thread or even dust showing on your nice black outfit?

I always liked the Crystal shoehorns with the spring fitting.  Wonder if they still have those, or if they went the way of OC.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cruise-y said:

In looking through the “Before You Sail Guide” for the nth time, but the first with NC….

If you do use them, I really want to know. And why. Are you stretching your shoes? Brushing lint from your morning jacket? And why is Crystal providing them?? I’m befuddled. Thanks.  

Well this is a first kind of question. 

In all the years I have been with CC I don't think I've seen this one come up.  

Yes they provide both.  

Shoehorns are the long ones. Yep ,I use them every evening while on-board.

Their purpose has not changed. Great for dress shoes and they prevent hurting your ankle and ruining the back of shoes.  Nice amenity which by the way luxury hotels provided regularly way beyond the early 1900's. Today, most do not for a simple reason. Save money. Do you remember when lots of amenities were provided?  Far less today in Hotels.

Clothes brushes. On occasion we use them.  

So rather than befuddled think of it as a couple of nice amenities whether or not you use them.

And if you think they are from the dark ages, note that Amazon has tons of shoehorns for sale. These are the long ones.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=shoe+horns+with+long+handles&crid=1W9ML440RG0DQ&sprefix=shoe+horns%2Caps%2C105&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_6_10

Same goes for lint brush/roller.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=lint+brush&crid=2NSM2D9KABQD0&sprefix=lint+brush%2Caps%2C117&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

You might want to start a thread on why they provide a bathtub. 

Keith

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I know I’m gay and we”re a special kind of demographic when it comes to accessories and amenities sometimes, but all the gay men I know here locally use shoehorns with dress shoes.  🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Vince

• Like 7

I use a shoehorn everyday for no matter what type of shoe I'm wearing.  I use the long type and did buy mine at amazon a long time ago. Its the only way to protect the heel of the shoe from collapsikng and lets me glide my foot into the shoe.  its very comfortable. they are a necessary part of a man's ammenities like shaving mugs, shaving brushes and razors.  Its nice to know the Crystal provides them on the ship. Now my duffle bag will have more room in it for other necessities.

Edited by USC Adventurer
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A shoehorn and clothes brush are essential items. A long shoehorn is also useful as a back scratcher or even for retrieving certain dropped items.
 I did miss the white towelling slippers. There were none in our room and I forgot to ask our butler. 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, comas said:

A shoehorn and clothes brush are essential items. A long shoehorn is also useful as a back scratcher or even for retrieving certain dropped items.
 I did miss the white towelling slippers. There were none in our room and I forgot to ask our butler. 

They still provide the slippers.

The room stewardess could have provided them.

Keith

• Like 3

Except when you have your travel scissors handy (always packed in checked baggage).  Then they can become customized open-toe.  That way, slippers made for men's size 9 fit my 13s (with a little overhang fore and aft).  Bob S.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Loafers, dress shoes - always! One of the reasons I can still wear certain pairs of Italian leather shoes that I purchased many years ago (classic ones that never go out of style) - keeps the leather and the back of the shoes in great shape.

Edited by RD64
Additional

Well I have to admit, in full disclosure, that when I first read it in the guide and posted here, I was mistakenly thinking shoe trees, not shoe horns. Complimentary shoe horns I kinda get. Trees not so much. But I suppose those of you with nice Italian shoes probably use trees too. So mea culpa. 

However, I have no recollection of seeing either horns or clothing brushes on any previous Crystal cruises, so they must not have made an impression on me or my traveling companion and got tossed on the top closet shelf. 

53 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Also use trees.  They keep shoes in proper shape, and make shining easier.  Plus, if you get the cedar wood trees, they work to keep the insides fresh.

Agree 100%.  I always use shoe trees at home for all my dress shoes for all the reasons you mentioned.

When we travel we do put something in each shoe (cardboard like insert) so that they keep their shape and then when back home remove that and insert the shoe tree except in casual shoes such as topsiders.

Keith 

12 hours ago, Cruise-y said:

Well I have to admit, in full disclosure, that when I first read it in the guide and posted here, I was mistakenly thinking shoe trees, not shoe horns. Complimentary shoe horns I kinda get. Trees not so much. But I suppose those of you with nice Italian shoes probably use trees too. So mea culpa. 

However, I have no recollection of seeing either horns or clothing brushes on any previous Crystal cruises, so they must not have made an impression on me or my traveling companion and got tossed on the top closet shelf. 

That’s fair, they just hung/rested in the closet off to the side, with the tie bar…. If they’re not things you use, they’re probably not very memorable.

Notably though, both are original Crystal amenities.  Back in 1990, as with other luxury brands, both the shoehorn and lint brush were disposable plastic items.  With the focus on eliminating single use plastics, the nice metal/wood/leather items came into being. 

6 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

I just use wadded up socks.  Three pairs to a shoe.  And it then saves some room in the suitcase.

I do too!  I generally use the thickest crew socks to stuff shoes, since I only need 2 pairs instead of 3 for each shoe.  Haha

Re: shoe trees, I admit these are probably more generational…. My father had a pair of cedar shoe trees in all his leather shoes.  I only have a few pairs.  They are definitely something men still use though.

Vince

I wonder if the younger folks hearing shoe trees think it is a tree you plant which grows shoes.  Just saying.  😀

Another one is a push button phone or a rotary phone or a phone wired to the outlet. Better yet a party phone. They might think it's for a Party.  😀

Keith 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2