Jim_Iain Live - 2nd Half World Cruise - B2B Singapore to Down Under 11/25 – 12/21

Jim_Iain

7 hours ago, terrydtx said:

The Edge got her bottom cleaned before she left the Med for this cruise to the lands down under. NZ has also been on our bucket list along with Australia. We board in 40 days for our 6 week adventure, as long as you and Iain haven't used up all the fun from the Edge, LOL

They’ll definitely do another cleaning in AU before entering NZ, especially with all the warmer waters we’ve been through since then.

Pacific Explorer had a clean in AU just before the crossing, but still wound up with 4 small pieces of life on the hull when she reached NZ - which ultimately was enough to be rejected from entering.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mchell810 said:

@Redking  I hope you will do a blog of your Scenic cruise; I enjoyed your last one.   Scenic has been off my radar, but I'd love to know more about that line.

I'm glad you enjoyed my unfinished symphony 🤣 thank you. I'll do something, not sure what yet. Scenic doesn't have a dedicated CC forum. There's a pretty active FB group. Not sure if I'm allowed to mention that here 🤔 I'll definitely post to my IG account which is public.

... and back to the lovely Edge and Jim.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Redking said:

I'm glad you enjoyed my unfinished symphony 🤣 thank you. I'll do something, not sure what yet. Scenic doesn't have a dedicated CC forum. There's a pretty active FB group. Not sure if I'm allowed to mention that here 🤔 I'll definitely post to my IG account which is public.

... and back to the lovely Edge and Jim.

Just an FYI -- bc you mentioned it I checked and it seems Scenic has a CC forum now.  Until recently I thought they only did river cruises so hearing from someone who sailed an ocean voyage with them would be great.  I learned a lot from Jim's Ponant blog. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, mchell810 said:

Just an FYI -- bc you mentioned it I checked and it seems Scenic has a CC forum now.  Until recently I thought they only did river cruises so hearing from someone who sailed an ocean voyage with them would be great.  I learned a lot from Jim's Ponant blog. 

Thanks for that, I'll check it out. Jim did an excellent job, as always, of giving an objective comparison.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

They’ll definitely do another cleaning in AU before entering NZ, especially with all the warmer waters we’ve been through since then.

Pacific Explorer had a clean in AU just before the crossing, but still wound up with 4 small pieces of life on the hull when she reached NZ - which ultimately was enough to be rejected from entering.

I was wondering the same thing especially if the Edge was sailing through tropical countries and sometimes staying overnight?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

All-inclusive of Lycra suit, snorkeling equipment, fins and wet suit (winter months

Snorkel Multiple sights at the stunning outer Great Barrier Reef

The Lycra suit may be mandatory as the months of October to May is stinger season up North?  My sister & her family had to wear one snorkelling about 8 years ago in the Great Barrier Reef.  However on my honeymoon with my husband at the GBR 28 years ago (in April) it wasn't needed - maybe with climate change the stinger season is longer?

7 hours ago, hcat said:

Colors in the last few pics are  vibrant and amazing!

I admit I do post production editing before I posted.   With the Vibrant colors -  I really pushed some of the settings -   I normally hit edit.... re-crop and then start with each of the settings and either increase or decrease.      I find the pre-sets just don't give me the results I want.  

I've never taken the time to learn Photoshop---   I need to go back to finish those modules of Iphone Photography Academy -- the 80% discount with the timer is always on sale

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Redking said:

Had to read this a couple of times Jim to work out what you were saying. Having two ships with Eclipse in the name is confusing.

We're sailing on the SCENIC Eclipse II ( https://www.scenicnz.com/tours/journey-across-the-pacific-easter-island--french-polynesia/13777)  not the Celebrity Eclipse in March, hence being unfaithful to X  🤣. Still a darn that we won't get to meet up though! Loved the Samoas. 

Ahhh....I know Celebrity has 2 ships that will be doing the TP.        I'm on their website now... looks interesting.   We will never go back to exclusively sailing Celebrity and will be booking closer to cruise date instead of years in advance.  

Itinerary/Ship  will be priority over cruise line.    Celebrity has been really elimination some of the longer cruises in lieu of Caribbean short cruises.  

• Like 5

8 hours ago, hcat said:

You can see if they have underwater cameras im photo dept..I know it sounds like heresy  but they do a decent job..you can edit later

On the ship the have Go-Pro that are waterproof.    I bought one and used it once and then gave to our son.   I really didn't like it.

4 hours ago, MarKay525 said:

Jim - you've seen so many absolutely beautiful waterfalls - thank you so much for all your photos! Kay

I do have a passion for waterfalls buy may have to quit climbing up and down in hot climates.  The other thing I have loved all my life are Caves. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FeebeeH said:

The Lycra suit may be mandatory as the months of October to May is stinger season up North?  My sister & her family had to wear one snorkelling about 8 years ago in the Great Barrier Reef.  However on my honeymoon with my husband at the GBR 28 years ago (in April) it wasn't needed - maybe with climate change the stinger season is longer?

I can imagine.  We were in Caines once when the reef spawned and the Box Jelly Fish came in.   We were warned to beware of them.   I presume we will have them as they asked us our sizes a couple months ago to have them aboard.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I can imagine.  We were in Caines once when the reef spawned and the Box Jelly Fish came in.   We were warned to beware of them.   I presume we will have them as they asked us our sizes a couple months ago to have them aboard.

I think that'd be a nightmare for me.  Interesting that they asked for your sizes a couple of months earlier, shows that your tour company is prepared and well-thought out.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I do have a passion for waterfalls buy may have to quit climbing up and down in hot climates.  The other thing I have loved all my life are Caves. 

Caves are off my activities these days......As I get older,  confined areas make me nervous. 

Our last waterfall and pools walk was in Dominica..  Very beautiful tropical environment, but I lacked enough energy to do the last downward hike..I waited at a bench for Sal to complete it.  There was plenty of shade but heat and humidity  def affect breathing and stamina.! 

Hope you are feeling better with your hydration routine.

8 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I admit I do post production editing before I posted.   With the Vibrant colors -  I really pushed some of the settings -   I normally hit edit.... re-crop and then start with each of the settings and either increase or decrease.      I find the pre-sets just don't give me the results I want.  

I stopped trying to do post production on my pictures.  I am at a distinct disadvantage in that I do not have normal color vision.  i am not technically color blind but I have what was diagnosed as a blue green hue deficiency where I cannot distinguish between certain shades of colors.  What you see is what you get with my pictures. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Worming our way through the barrier reef.  🪸 

The pilot aboard has incredible knowledge of the reef 

IMG_1293.thumb.jpeg.a2bc89412a90799e045a175f45736b26.jpeg

Then we turned Northeast then southeast again

IMG_1297.thumb.jpeg.ba9b130013e65ee9bbe3eb665bfeaeaf.jpeg

Lots of reef islands. 

IMG_1276.thumb.jpeg.45908e7446310cd147b13e9e97566b86.jpeg

wow just beautiful blue colors.   thanks for sharing.   following along.  Not sure if I will ever get down under as the flight is long.  I have booked and cancelled twice.

12 hours ago, FeebeeH said:

I think that'd be a nightmare for me.  Interesting that they asked for your sizes a couple of months earlier, shows that your tour company is prepared and well-thought out.

They have been incredible.   Since we have a rather short stop in Yorkeys Know they will be bringing their boats to our tender location instead of us being shuttled the 30 minutes to their location.

• Like 5