Jim_Iain Live - 2nd Half World Cruise - B2B Singapore to Down Under 11/25 – 12/21

Jim_Iain

We visited Fine Cut early last week , I also had the Dover sole which was really disappointing as Iain said. When I asked for St Francis Zinfandel the sommelier said only available by the bottle when I had been drinking it every night of the 40 nights!!

He said he would send to Luminae to rget a bottle and  I was served Layer Cake on the premise it wasn’t available.

The following evening in Luminae the chef came around the tables and asked how we enjoyed Fine Cut, I mentioned the Dover sole was very disappointing (as it was a favourite dish of my late husband was my reason for ordering). Before we left Luminae Dev our waiter asked if we would like Dover sole the following evening as the chef wanted to make amends for Fine Cut. Four of us had a fabulous meal and toasted departed loved ones

• Like 16

1 hour ago, Cap_D said:

Jim, I know it comes down to a number of factors and some of the issues have been provisioning, but curious about how much of the off aspects of the journey are the senior staff and managers vs LHB/corporate? 

We had some issues on Apex in March/April, but once we surfaced them then it was apparent that the hotel director Christophe, Yuksel, Eleana and others in Retreat, food and beverage guy that responded to a QR code submitted item, CD Brittany (who we engaged with because our child loved Jessica's magic show) all worked together to correct, recover, and at times wow.  So, we had a great over all trip.  They were top of their game in terms of working with what they had, even if towards the end of their 3 months, as it was just before the TA.  One difference, we were not on an epic itinerary.  I read your Apex posts at the time, and I believe you had some of the same senior officers and crew.  Of course, cutbacks on staff whether directly or indirectly can still impact upper suite guests, lack of supplies, bad logistics at a port and so on could all have messed things up and exposed riffs.  

PS - I typed my message above before I read Jim's response to Alexandra @Norwaylady

I think the CD is incredible.   I think the problem is the HD and possibly his management style.   May just be where I visit on the ship but have not seen hide nor hair of him so far, but don't attend the Senior officer parties.   

In regarding to reply to my complaints sent directly to him,  Nothing ...Nada.   Not even a form letter.    I did however get an acknowledgement from the Retreat staff,  Cellar Master and Captain Club Manager of the concerns later pointed out.

I was for the most part impressed with Apex and it's staff.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, emmas gran said:

We visited Fine Cut early last week , I also had the Dover sole which was really disappointing as Iain said. When I asked for St Francis Zinfandel the sommelier said only available by the bottle when I had been drinking it every night of the 40 nights!!

He said he would send to Luminae to rget a bottle and  I was served Layer Cake on the premise it wasn’t available.

The following evening in Luminae the chef came around the tables and asked how we enjoyed Fine Cut, I mentioned the Dover sole was very disappointing (as it was a favourite dish of my late husband was my reason for ordering). Before we left Luminae Dev our waiter asked if we would like Dover sole the following evening as the chef wanted to make amends for Fine Cut. Four of us had a fabulous meal and toasted departed loved ones

That is so nice.   I have to say the Dover Sole in Murano is by far our favorite.   The staff in Luminae is incredible.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Jim_Iain said:

I think the CD is incredible.   I think the problem is the HD and possibly his management style.   May just be where I visit on the ship but have not seen hide nor hair of him so far, but don't attend the Senior officer parties.   

In regarding to reply to my complaints sent directly to him,  Nothing ...Nada.   Not even a form letter.    I did however get an acknowledgement from the Retreat staff,  Cellar Master and Captain Club Manager of the concerns later pointed out.

I was for the most part impressed with Apex and it's staff.  

Glad to hear that as we are boarding the Apex in April...our first edge class...

Hey, Jim...something to do in Auckland...

https://www.bungy.co.nz/auckland/sky-tower/skyjump/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Alexandra,  I have to agree with your assessment of Edge.   Things are just off.   If I could put a finger on it would be the HD and his training of staff.    Celebrity loves to use "Our Most Loyal Guests"  "Modern Luxury" and "Attention to Detail".    Our experience on this ship have missed the mark on all of them.

In any organization, the corporate culture starts with leadership.  The attitude, attention to detail, interaction with customers, is all about leadership by example.  This explains how it can vary ship to ship.  But that said, if Corporate has cut, cut, cut to the bone, even the best leader cannot overcome that.

I’ll whine about wine!  I agree with @terrydtx !  The prices of the wines by the glass are silly compared with the quality.   Life is too short to drink bad wine, or pay through the nose for mediocre wine.  We will plan to sample the great Aus/NZ wines ashore.  I can’t help but feel this is another revenue grab by Celebrity.  

On a positive note, we are delighted to see lovely the pics of the food in Luminae.  At least the presentation looks marvelous ❤️  Do they have any locally inspired options?

We are about to make final payment on our Edge B2B  Aus/NZ cruise.  This is a retirement celebration trip for us.  It’s a little unsettling to hear highly experienced X cruisers state the Edge is “off”.  We booked this cruise during an amazing Retreat experience over 2 years ago on Equinox. Now, the product and the experience sound like they are nowhere near the same  level.  I’m hoping @Jim_Iain’s survey comments are taken to heart and there is some remediation.  Have the Zeniths or Retreat guests had an opportunity to speak with LBH?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

The real negative.  Even though seated facing the windows.  The noise level was like grand central station.    Then the light show began.  

The whole feel was off with staff just doing a fine dining service but zero interaction.   At end of meal said it was our table and enjoy as long as you wish and disappeared. 

Hi Jim. I really enjoy reading about your travels and love your photographers eye. We met briefly on an October 2021 Pacific costal cruise on the Millennium. It was my first cruise post pandemic and I recognized you so I said hello and gave thanks for your excellent contributions to CC.

My impression of the Edge being off is similar to yours and, while I will be on the Ascent in January, I am looking forward to my S class sailings more.

I sailed the Edge Oct 2022 and it turned out to be my least desirable Celebrity ship. Why? Too much noise in the dining venues including Luminae. Too many suites so the retreat is not as intimate and unique as M and S class ships. The retreat lounge is like an airport lounge rather than a nice social gathering space. We were in a RS and prefer the RS on the S class by a long shot. The S class RS is 40% bedroom/bathroom and 60% living space while the E class is the opposite. Two light filtering doors between the bedroom and living area does not add to the privacy between rooms that a suite should offer. The chairs by the window look cute but really are not comfortable for me. Then the lack of a door between the bedroom and bathroom?  Sure, the toilet has a door, but to me one of the advantages of a suite is the extra space that can be utilized if one person wants to rest or sleep without being disturbed. Oh, have you hit your head on the TV yet???  

Many posts have said that if you want the Retreat experience, sail on the E class ships because of the sundeck and forward views. I disagree and I am probably wrong as far as what most desire. I will say that the modern aesthetic may look nice, but I prefer function over form. As for service it is easier to give special attention to 4.5% (S class) of the passengers vs 12.5% (E class). 

Sorry for the long winded reply. Have a great trip!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

49 minutes ago, dlh015 said:

Glad to hear that as we are boarding the Apex in April...our first edge class...

Hey, Jim...something to do in Auckland...

https://www.bungy.co.nz/auckland/sky-tower/skyjump/

I will quote Iain ----- You've got to be kidding ---- No way in He! !   

Iain has a fear of heights and that would definitely be off the table.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

I am enjoying following you along. We have tried most of the luxury and premium lines.

We have only one X cruise to Alaska this summer and will hold off booking X until things improve. 
Our next cruise will be in April on the Explora Journeys. They have only been operating since August. The reviews were shaky to start but are improving very quickly. 
Heike Berdos is the hotel manager. We have cruised with her when she was with Azamara. 
She was wonderful. So excited to try a brand new cruise line. 
Jim, I think you would really enjoy this line so check it out. Their price range is very close to the other luxury lines. Cheers, Heather 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I most agree with you.  I would be the one who would get the snapping and breaking of the ropes and then plop into the unknown.

Enjoying your thread.  You both are the cutest dudes with interesting clothes.  

9 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

LOL!!  I was joshing of course...love Iain's respond...DW said almost exactly the same thing...

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, 81Zoomie said:

In any organization, the corporate culture starts with leadership.  The attitude, attention to detail, interaction with customers, is all about leadership by example.  This explains how it can vary ship to ship.  But that said, if Corporate has cut, cut, cut to the bone, even the best leader cannot overcome that.

I’ll whine about wine!  I agree with @terrydtx !  The prices of the wines by the glass are silly compared with the quality.   Life is too short to drink bad wine, or pay through the nose for mediocre wine.  We will plan to sample the great Aus/NZ wines ashore.  I can’t help but feel this is another revenue grab by Celebrity.  

On a positive note, we are delighted to see lovely the pics of the food in Luminae.  At least the presentation looks marvelous ❤️  Do they have any locally inspired options?

We are about to make final payment on our Edge B2B  Aus/NZ cruise.  This is a retirement celebration trip for us.  It’s a little unsettling to hear highly experienced X cruisers state the Edge is “off”.  We booked this cruise during an amazing Retreat experience over 2 years ago on Equinox. Now, the product and the experience sound like they are nowhere near the same  level.  I’m hoping @Jim_Iain’s survey comments are taken to heart and there is some remediation.  Have the Zeniths or Retreat guests had an opportunity to speak with LBH?

So far no local inspired options but had a couple in OVC.   

Have not even spotted LBH.     Just came back from the Zenith 1st Gathering... I thought she might make an appearance but just Captain Matt and his Senior Staff.   Did have an opportunity to speak to HD, FB Director and Guiseppie. 

Wonder if LBH will meet with Zenith's at the Lunch.   Date and time not yet announced.   

I did notice today that The Club was closed off for Private Function -  pots of coffee on table.  I have heard she is not here in an official capacity and is on vacation.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Alexandra,  I have to agree with your assessment of Edge.   Things are just off.   If I could put a finger on it would be the HD and his training of staff.    Celebrity loves to use "Our Most Loyal Guests"  "Modern Luxury" and "Attention to Detail".    Our experience on this ship have missed the mark on all of them.

sorry to hear about the EDGE,   Recently I went on the Summit out of Boston and she is a beautiful and nice ship. I was on her last in 2016 and was amazed at the upgrades, I love that ship so much I am doing her a 3rd time next year from Vancouver to Alaska.  Have a safe trip home.

20 minutes ago, billc23 said:

Hi Jim. I really enjoy reading about your travels and love your photographers eye. We met briefly on an October 2021 Pacific costal cruise on the Millennium. It was my first cruise post pandemic and I recognized you so I said hello and gave thanks for your excellent contributions to CC.

My impression of the Edge being off is similar to yours and, while I will be on the Ascent in January, I am looking forward to my S class sailings more.

I sailed the Edge Oct 2022 and it turned out to be my least desirable Celebrity ship. Why? Too much noise in the dining venues including Luminae. Too many suites so the retreat is not as intimate and unique as M and S class ships. The retreat lounge is like an airport lounge rather than a nice social gathering space. We were in a RS and prefer the RS on the S class by a long shot. The S class RS is 40% bedroom/bathroom and 60% living space while the E class is the opposite. Two light filtering doors between the bedroom and living area does not add to the privacy between rooms that a suite should offer. The chairs by the window look cute but really are not comfortable for me. Then the lack of a door between the bedroom and bathroom?  Sure, the toilet has a door, but to me one of the advantages of a suite is the extra space that can be utilized if one person wants to rest or sleep without being disturbed. Oh, have you hit your head on the TV yet???  

Many posts have said that if you want the Retreat experience, sail on the E class ships because of the sundeck and forward views. I disagree and I am probably wrong as far as what most desire. I will say that the modern aesthetic may look nice, but I prefer function over form. As for service it is easier to give special attention to 4.5% (S class) of the passengers vs 12.5% (E class). 

Wow... you are a wonderful writer and hit the nail on the head.     You have hit all of our feelings.

The S-Class ships are our favorite.    

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, terrydtx said:

The wines by the glass are outrageous,  can you confirm that the PDP has a new cap of $20? Even with 20% tips included the bottle and glass pricing is just ridiculous. 

They have raised the cap to $20.50.   Having said that the waiters are not fully trained and one friend we knew was charged a $3.00 for a glass of wine over the $17 price and when he took it to Guest Relations she treated him like he was a crook -   after researching she gave him the credit without even an apology. 

Edited by Jim_Iain

From what I am sensing..we will have to check receipts, and our daily acct on  the Ascent.  X  seems to be getting more inconsistent...hard to  imagine!.

We enjoyed Edge 2x and Beyond . We are just checking off Ascent and Apex.....and  trying Silho again! It might be a good fit!

Glad we are not into wine.. Sal will order best available on our Classic Plan  with dinner.  I splurge on  Baileys after dinner..usually they don't bother with any  upcharge

Hope you enjoy the trip..

Bungee Jumping..  not for me!

• Like 2

Back after a few days of crazy.  Saturday we flew to Ft. Lauderdale, and Sunday we boarded the Symphony OTS.  So far it's nice, but we're in a suite (lower of the suite classes but a suite) and it's nice.  It's busy and huge, with a lot of kids, but there's a lot of venues for everyone. 

On Saturday we get off and go to the Apex.  

Originally, we had the Edge booked for the New Zealand cruise followed by the Great Barrier reef cruise next moth.  We moved it to March of  2025, which I'm now relieved about, since a lot can happen in a year.

Looking forward to hearing about New Zealand.

1 hour ago, maggie.1008 said:

I am enjoying following you along. We have tried most of the luxury and premium lines.

We have only one X cruise to Alaska this summer and will hold off booking X until things improve. 
Our next cruise will be in April on the Explora Journeys. They have only been operating since August. The reviews were shaky to start but are improving very quickly. 
Heike Berdos is the hotel manager. We have cruised with her when she was with Azamara. 
She was wonderful. So excited to try a brand new cruise line. 
Jim, I think you would really enjoy this line so check it out. Their price range is very close to the other luxury lines. Cheers, Heather 

I agree it sounds really appealing and reviews are improving. Food looks good. Enjoy your cruise and please share your thoughts if you've time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, billc23 said:

There are a few things missing here the EDGE compare to BEYOND

The RETREAT LOUNGE does not have a bar.

The WORLD CLASS BAR is not there.

The MOROCCAN SUNSET BAR not there.

IMHO if you have been on BEYOND you will never want to go back.

Edited by verizon
  • Like 3

They have raised the cap to $20.50.   Having said that the waiters are not fully trained and one friend we knew was charged a $3.00 for a glass of wine over the $17 price and when he took it to Guest Relations she treated him like he was a crook -   after researching she gave him the credit without even an apology. 

Is the $20.50 including the extra 20% gratuity because you are in Australia?

I believe fleet wide the cap is still $17 for the premium package.

Were onboard Reflection last week drinking nothing but wines priced at $19+ on the new menus w/o a surcharge. Some menus came out mid cruise !!! One wine was $13 and now $19- ABSURD !!!

• Like 2

Hopefully they will have this sorted out by the times we board next month.

6 hours ago, terrydtx said:

The wines by the glass are outrageous,  can you confirm that the PDP has a new cap of $20? Even with 20% tips included the bottle and glass pricing is just ridiculous. 

Extremely outrageous. $60.00 for a bottle of Grant Burge Shiraz when you can get a case of 6 from the winery for $119. The DW says she will enjoy more beer when we are there next year. Thinking I will just enjoy more scotch 

I expect they will find a reason to increase prices by the time we get there in April

• Like 1