Getting Text messages on my phone?

framer

If your connected to Wi-Fi and have a iPhone then yes, you will be able to get/send texts from other iphones. If on android you can use WhatsApp to get texts.

Im sure there are other apps that use Wi-Fi to text, just haven’t used them.

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been playing with it over the last few minutes and confirm that in airplane mode but then turning wifi on and connecting it with just wifi that I can send and receive text over my normal wifi.  It is an iphone.  I just hope texts make it through MedallionNet.

Thanks

2 minutes ago, framer said:

I've been playing with it over the last few minutes and confirm that in airplane mode but then turning wifi on and connecting it with just wifi that I can send and receive text over my normal wifi.  It is an iphone.  I just hope texts make it through MedallionNet.

Thanks

It has for us👍😊

Cheers

We are on the Emerald Princess right now. We purchased a 4 device wifi plan and are traveling with our adult son and his wife. We text each other  as well as others back home. No problems at all. I have a pixel 5a. My daughter in law has an iPhone. We can send and receive texts both with  Android users or iPhone users.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, erber said:

We are on the Emerald Princess right now. We purchased a 4 device wifi plan and are traveling with our adult son and his wife. We text each other  as well as others back home. No problems at all. I have a pixel 5a. My daughter in law has an iPhone. We can send and receive texts both with  Android users or iPhone users.

And you have cellular data OFF?

21 minutes ago, no1racefan1 said:

I'm confused by some of these answers. Why would I buy wifi if I can't use my phone to communicate? I thought that was the whole point.

There is at least one contradictory post so your confusion is understandable. You can certainly use your phone to communicate via WiFi. That's been my experience as well as the majority of responses.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, no1racefan1 said:

I'm confused by some of these answers. Why would I buy wifi if I can't use my phone to communicate? I thought that was the whole point.

You can’t use your phone number to receive calls or texts - it only works if you use a app or service that uses WiFi (data) and not cellular 

I have a Samsung Galaxy S22 (Android) and have had most of the different versions since the S3. I was never able to get text messages while on Medallionnet while the rest of my traveling companions with iPhones could. On the cruise just prior to the one I'm on right now I switched to Google Messages instead of the default Samsung text app. I can now receive texts just like my friends.  I wish I had discovered this a long time ago!

• Like 2

There is a huge difference between connecting to WiFi (paid INTERnet Service) and connecting to Princess MedallionNet (free INTRAnet for Medallion Class APP).

I have had success with my iPhone with and without paid INTERnet service and iMessages.  Others have not been so successful.  I don't know why I could and they couldn't.  I believe there must be some little mouse in my phone working overtime. 

To answer the OP's question, YES, if you purchase WiFi and place your phone on airplane mode, you will be able to receive texts, make wifi calls, and do FaceTime. Be sure to turn on WiFi calling feature.  

• Like 2

From my experiences, using an IPhone, and having AT&T as my carrier, if I’m in airplane mode, I can only receive text messages from AT&T subscribers. My sister did not purchase a Wi-Fi package, but she was able to send and receive text messages to her family using her AT&T plan, while in airplane mode. So, if you have AT&T, you can text other AT&T users without paying for a plan. You won’t be able to access anything else though. 

• Like 1

We just returned from a European cruise last month. We had no cell service anywhere on our Samsung Android phones as our carrier doesn't offer foreign service. We knew this ahead of time so planned to use email & FB messenger to stay in touch with loved ones back home (which worked fine BTW).

Imagine our surprise when we started receiving texts from home once we connected to the ship's wifi. Worked fine the whole cruise.

In general internet speeds were amazing compared to prior cruises. So much so I did a live from thread that I would never have bothered with under the old internet.

2 hours ago, framer said:

And you have cellular data OFF?

Yes, Cellular data is turned off. I go into airplane mode, first connect to Intranet and then connect to Internet by buying the princess wifi plan. My carrier is Google Fi. I love being able to send and receive regular texts. Not everyone has Whatsapp or Messenger. It is very convenient. 

• Like 1

SMS based text message do not go over WIFI or the internet. They are a separate network. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS

You cannot get SMS messages in airplane mode on an iPhone.

You can use iMessage over the internet while in airplane mode if your iPhone is connected to a WIFI network that has access to the internet:

https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/about-imessage-iph4e9799206/ios

On a Princess ship you need MedallionNet to connect over the internet:

https://www.princess.com/en-us/ships-and-experience/princess-medallionclass/medallionnet

On my cruises I would get backed up SMS messages when we got into port and I took my iPhone out of airplane mode. I had MedallionNet and texted my children who also had iPhones throughout the cruise while in airplane mode but those texts were all iMessage texts. I don't know if Android has an equivalent internet based text protocol but it wouldn't surprise me if they did.

Bobby