Virgin's Resilient Lady

25 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I understand.  When my NY girlfriend first visited Australia, she was only entitled to two weeks' leave.  I told her to tell her boss (who had met me) that I said it is too far to travel to Aust for two weeks leave.  He let her have three weeks' leave.  Unheard of.  Not that he wasn't generous.  He even gave me free travel dollars.  She is now coming out again in Feb.  4 days in Auckland, 4 days in Brisbane and 4 days in Sydney. So things haven't changed on the amount of leave front. 

Yes, we are lucky here aren't we?  Even in the UK I think it's only 3 weeks.  Your cruise sounds very interesting with the overnights.  We were on a Holland America cruise in March around NZ (so-so; not enough for us to do, I watched movies quite a lot and never done that on a cruise before!)  At Tauranga we hired a car and drove to Rotorua, but everyone who spent the day in Tauranga raved about it.

13 minutes ago, Ondine said:

I saw Emma Cruises youtube and she said that she could get Diet Coke at certain bars.  I understand that you get coke from a fountain (?) if the machine is there but if not then you are given cans of coke from the other bars.  Son lives on coke so we will find out in 2 weeks. ...

I look forward to your report. 🙂

It's been a long time since I've seen post-mix Diet Coke, but at least some venues still offer it in bottles or cans. Maybe that's what VV are doing??

41 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

There were two recent offers. The first one was to buy a Virgin cruise (up to 6 nights) for 79,999 Velocity points. That one is finished.

The second one runs until the end of November and involves getting 50% off the cruise fare (not fees and taxes) if you enter "VirginAustralia" as an access key when you book online.

Wow that’s a hell of a deal! Shame we booked months ago!! Again, you saw it on the website? Or on an email from them? Thanks for that information. 

1 minute ago, helkatred said:

Yes, we are lucky here aren't we?  Even in the UK I think it's only 3 weeks.  Your cruise sounds very interesting with the overnights.  We were on a Holland America cruise in March around NZ (so-so; not enough for us to do, I watched movies quite a lot and never done that on a cruise before!)  At Tauranga we hired a car and drove to Rotorua, but everyone who spent the day in Tauranga raved about it.

Yes we are lucky.  Some workers get 5-6 weeks.  We have driven in NZ quite a lot, but only one cruise on Celebrity Century which we loved.  I had heard HAL was for an older crowd.  However some elderly people are young at heart.  Yes I liked Tauranga, where had my best shop in NZ, plus Maunganui for a holiday.  We had holidayed at Rotorua, so had no need to drive there. 

1 minute ago, helkatred said:

Wow that’s a hell of a deal! Shame we booked months ago!! Again, you saw it on the website? Or on an email from them? Thanks for that information. 

I received an email from them as I'm a Virgin Airlines Member.  Yes great deal being able to cruise half price in summer school holidays.  

18 minutes ago, arxcards said:

They have US staff?

I thought the support centre was based in Asia.

All my calls have been transferred to Florida, USA, even though I phoned the Aust number.  There is a US number also.  They are still on holidays for Thanksgiving. It is 1.11 am Friday 24/11 in Florida at present. 

Paid for my cruise on Virgin's Resilient Lady in full today.  Sent a copy of my booking to both my daughters and expected an excited response, but no response.  Instinct told me to phone daughter in Australia to check all was OK. Oh no their emails showed $0 paid.  Now I was worried.  This wasn't a good start.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ondine said:

It is the perk for their loyalty program at the moment.  They status match. Hopefully the link will take you there.  Priority boarding/laundry/$100 drinks tab etc.  Not bad.

https://www.virginvoyages.com/sailing-club

I don't belong to any cruise loyalty programmes,  Destination driven, rather than ship driven.  '

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I don't belong to any cruise loyalty programmes,  Destination driven, rather than ship driven.  '

I see that Gold status or higher with Virgin Australia also qualifies. That'll never be me though; when I fly, it's usually on points.

12 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Resilient Lady is completely different to any other ship re services etc. laid back and no dressing up, I woul like it.

You'd definitely like it because it is an adult only ship with some questionable humour.  See if you can see Trivia their style.  

I'll wave to you as we cruise past en route to Melbourne (23/1)  You'll need your binoculars.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Colin 2905 said:

I see that Gold status or higher with Virgin Australia also qualifies. That'll never be me though; when I fly, it's usually on points.

When I fly overseas, I fly business class whichever is the cheapest.  Certainly never Qantas, although I've organised tickets for Americans business class from US.  My daughter got an upgrade on points, 50,000 Brisbane to Singapore this month, with Qantas I think.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Paid for my cruise on Virgin's Resilient Lady in full today.  Sent a copy of my booking to both my daughters and expected an excited response, but no response.  Instinct told me to phone daughter in Australia to check all was OK. Oh no their emails showed $0 paid.  Now I was worried.  This wasn't a good start.  

Woohoo - Phoned Virgin Voyages this morning - all sorted received an email confirming I'd paid in full.  BTW I've found all phone service personnel are friendly and super helpful at solving problems.  

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, 2022cruisey said:

Just looked at a quick cruise for 2 nights, Melbourne to Burnie and return in a sea terrace -  $1396.   That is $350 per person per night.  If it reduces by half I’ll be interested.

It is half price this month, cruise cost only, not taxes and insurance which are extras.  Great special for a balcony cabin.  I just did a quick calculation of mine solo balcony restricted view 8th deck $288 per night.

We had a cruise credit to use up.  We had been booked on the maiden voyage out of Melbourne this year but life got in the way.  Actually, I was wrong, they are not both out of Brisbane.  My husband booked them while I was at work.

It's a four night Sydney-Newcastle-Mooloolaba-Brisbane followed by a seven night Brisbane-Port Douglas-Cairns-Brisbane 

I'm looking forward to giving Virgin a go but I am also an early to bed early to rise person.

Apparently, restaurants, shows, and fitness classes have to booked on the app as soon as possible or you can miss out.

6 minutes ago, onlyslightlymad said:

We had a cruise credit to use up.  We had been booked on the maiden voyage out of Melbourne this year but life got in the way.  Actually, I was wrong, they are not both out of Brisbane.  My husband booked them while I was at work.

It's a four night Sydney-Newcastle-Mooloolaba-Brisbane followed by a seven night Brisbane-Port Douglas-Cairns-Brisbane 

I'm looking forward to giving Virgin a go but I am also an early to bed early to rise person.

Apparently, restaurants, shows, and fitness classes have to booked on the app as soon as possible or you can miss out.  I understand you can turn up and wait for a vacancy but I'll understand more in January. 

my restaurant bookings open on 28/11 for cruise departing 12/1. I'd like to do Nth Qld cruise again.

• Like 1