Searching for a post concerning cruise ship and cargo ship with cars colliding

KBS1607

36 minutes ago, KBS1607 said:

Any help would be appreciated. 

May not be as helpful as you would like, but in the spirit of "any help" I am suggesting that you try searching the internet initially as there will most likely still be reports on the incident which you will be able to read, some of which may include the name of either ship. With a name, you could try searching CC again as those search words would be more specific than general ones, or you may find that any news reports you can read will answer any questions you may still have.

or if you are lucky,  others will have better memories or suggestions.

Edited by edinburgher

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2022/09/12/viking-cruise-ship-collided-cargo-vessel/10359940002/

I googled "cruise ship and cargo ship colliding" and this was 1st entry of many........

locations, North Sea, Atlantic off Spain, Med. Sea

OP - google may be your friend

Edited by evandbob
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, evandbob said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2022/09/12/viking-cruise-ship-collided-cargo-vessel/10359940002/

I googled "cruise ship and cargo ship colliding" and this was 1st entry of many........

locations, North Sea, Atlantic off Spain, Med. Sea

OP - google may be your friend

That article mentioned several problems Viking has had (and didn't mention that Viking Sky problem a few years ago!).

But it also mentioned a Viking cruise ship on the Mississippi River.  How is a foreign ship sailing and transporting passengers within the USA?

Curious!

GC

16 minutes ago, KBS1607 said:

I did try a google search first and it was not helpful. 

As I said in my post it was YEARS ago and google seems to have a short memory >

You mean that 2022 was "YEARS ago" and Google couldn't find it (it did find it), or there was another Viking cruise ship and car cargo ship collision that was indeed "YEARS" ago?

GC

24 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

But it also mentioned a Viking cruise ship on the Mississippi River.  How is a foreign ship sailing and transporting passengers within the USA?

Curious!

It isn't.  It is a US built at Chouest's LaShip shipyard in Houma, LA, owned by Chouest, a US offshore vessel corporation and leased to Viking, US flagged and US crewed.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

It isn't.  It is a US built at Chouest's LaShip shipyard in Houma, LA, owned by Chouest, a US offshore vessel corporation and leased to Viking, US flagged and US crewed.

Ah, thanks very much.

This is cost-effective for them, obviously (or so they hope).

Is this an arrangement that isn't possible for ocean-going ships so the passenger cruises wouldn't need to have the foreign port or distant foreign port requirements, and there might be more like the NCL POA?  I thought part of the problem was the prohibitive cost of ship-building in the USA.

Thanks as always for your input!

And Happy Thanksgiving. 🙂 

GC

1 hour ago, KBS1607 said:

It was a long time ago that I read it; but I think it’s a pretty famous post. I tried searching but didn’t have any luck. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

I don't know about posts on CC, but a fairly quick search found:

2008:  Passenger ship Zenith struck Pax/RORO ship Aegean Pearl

2008:  Near miss between Costa Atlantica and car carrier Grand Neptune

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Ah, thanks very much.

This is cost-effective for them, obviously (or so they hope).

Is this an arrangement that isn't possible for ocean-going ships so the passenger cruises wouldn't need to have the foreign port or distant foreign port requirements, and there might be more like the NCL POA?  I thought part of the problem was the prohibitive cost of ship-building in the USA.

Thanks as always for your input!

And Happy Thanksgiving. 🙂 

GC

Chouest builds "boats" not "ships".  So, building something similar to Viking's longboats is doable, if tremendously more expensive than building one in Germany.  But, Viking had no choice in the matter, if they wanted to cruise the Mississippi, they had to build a boat in the US, regardless of cost.  The US Maritime Administration, tasked with supporting US flag shipping, did a study a few years back, and found that operating a US flag vessel (that is the daily operating cost, not the cost to build, since you can have a foreign built US flag vessel (but it can't operate in Jones Act or PVSA trades, just international trade)) was 3 times the operating cost of a foreign flag vessel.  Of that operating cost, crew cost (wages, benefits, taxes) was nearly 5 times what a foreign flag crew would cost.  And, this was for a cargo ship, where there is a crew of about 20, not the hundreds or thousands on a major cruise ship.  Further, as the ship would be flagged in the US, the cruise line would have to pay corporate tax on all revenue generated by the ship (cabin fares, excursions, onboard purchases and packages), that are tax free for foreign ships.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thanks again.

I knew that crew costs were much higher (from your previous posts - thanks! 😉 ), but I had no idea they were *that* much higher!

I also didn't realize that Mississippi River cruising was that popular, enough to add another boat, and one that is even more expensive to operate.

All very interesting.

GC

What size of ship can now access the Mississippi, and how far? 

On the last oil tanker I sailed on we went to St. James, Louisiana...somewhere between New Orleans and Baton Rouge. We were 44,000 dwt, and fully laden,  and that seemed quite large enough for me thank you very much 😀

Fascinating journey though!

3 hours ago, KBS1607 said:

That’s it!  Thank you so much. 

If you click on @SailorJackyou will get to his current postings.  One is a reference to his review of that cruise which was mentioned on the board here Whatever Happened to…

If you are not familiar with SailorJack his reviews are hilarious and usually linked in his signature.  Several evenings of great reading.  If you are reading at a computer (not tablet) cover your keyboard lest you spray your beverage all over it.  If you do choose to read them, try to start with the earliest as sometimes in a review he will refer to an earlier experience.  EM

Edited by Essiesmom

3 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

What size of ship can now access the Mississippi, and how far? 

On the last oil tanker I sailed on we went to St. James, Louisiana...somewhere between New Orleans and Baton Rouge. We were 44,000 dwt, and fully laden,  and that seemed quite large enough for me thank you very much 😀

Fascinating journey though!

The "head of navigation" for ships is the I-10 bridge in Baton Rouge, about another 55 miles upriver from St. James.  Been to Baton Rouge on a 46,000 dwt tanker, and docked with our bow under the bridge.  Cruise ships are limited to New Orleans, due to the height of the I-10 bridge there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LHT28 said:

American Queen  just under 4000 Tons   goes up to St Louis

not sure if there are larger  ships

A typical Mississippi River barge "tow" is 6-7 barges long (about 1200-1400 feet) and 5-6 barges wide (175-210 feet), with one tow boat pushing them along.  So, the average river tow is longer than most cruise ships, and have to wind their way around the bends of the river, and under bridges.  The barges carry as much freight in one of these "standard" tows as a 6 mile long train.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

A typical Mississippi River barge "tow" is 6-7 barges long (about 1200-1400 feet) and 5-6 barges wide (175-210 feet), with one tow boat pushing them along. 

Thanks I was thinking of  cruise type ships

I see  a Viking ship goes  to Memphis  from NOLA  

I thought that Viking was going to have ships like their river  boats in Europe

No worries

2 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Thanks I was thinking of  cruise type ships

I see  a Viking ship goes  to Memphis  from NOLA  built in Norway 

I thought that Viking was going to have ships like their river  boats in Europe

No worries

Not sure what you are seeing.  No Viking Ocean ship can go further than NOLA.  Viking did build a boat similar to their European "longboats", but as I say, the Viking Mississippi was built in Houma, LA, in order to meet PVSA requirements.  It is 10,000 gt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

If you click on @SailorJackyou will get to his current postings.  One is a reference to his review of that cruise which was mentioned on the board here Whatever Happened to…

If you are not familiar with SailorJack his reviews are hilarious and usually linked in his signature.  Several evenings of great reading.  If you are reading at a computer (not tablet) cover your keyboard lest you spray your beverage all over it.  If you do choose to read them, try to start with the earliest as sometimes in a review he will refer to an earlier experience.  EM

Is it possible to get to his oldest ones?  I’m on a tablet and usually prefer that. I couldn’t see anything that old just by looking at his reviews. I’m actually on a cruise and was telling my husband about that particular one.