Staff wages are they based on the ship occupancy

Bjh2018

20 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I think I have less faith in the math skills of the average sales clerk than you do.

Again, I think you are wrong to assume a person would need to do this on a calculator at the register.  

Edited by ldubs

12 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Geez, Is this not exactly what I have been saying (to the extent I'm probably boring people to tears)? 

And I agree with you! 😄 

I don't agree with the other poster who keeps making the argument that people who get tipped don't want to be paid a fair wage instead.

2 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Personally I view including the tax in the price as just another way the government anesthetizes us against seeing the tax, just like tax withholding from our paycheck.

do you not see the tax on shop receipts and on pay slips?

We do here - GST  (like VAT in UK) is shown on receipts on items it applies to and tax taken is shown on payslips from employers.

46 minutes ago, Kristelle said:

do you not see the tax on shop receipts and on pay slips?

We do here - GST  (like VAT in UK) is shown on receipts on items it applies to and tax taken is shown on payslips from employers.

Yes - but it is less visible — the amount you pay is the marked price (which often includes up to 20% VAT).  Having the tax specifically added to the posted price makes it clear.   

Frankly, I prefer to pay that 5% or 8% or so and see it as an add on than to have a 20% tax built in.  Having it so visible tends to make it harder for government to squeeze it out of the consumer.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Isn't including the tax in the price the way VAR works?  I know that when I bought a mid-level cue from France the price I paid turned out to be less than listed because I wasn't subject to VAR so it got backed out.

Personally I view including the tax in the price as just another way the government anesthetizes us against seeing the tax, just like tax withholding from our paycheck.

Yes, that's the way the VAT tax works, but not the way things work in the USA. Are there tax exempt organizations in Europe, and if so how are purchases by them treated? Maybe someone from Europe who knows this could answer.

22 hours ago, MacMadame said:

And I agree with you! 😄 

I don't agree with the other poster who keeps making the argument that people who get tipped don't want to be paid a fair wage instead.

Oh no.  So sorry.  I misunderstood (a not uncommon thing for me).  

21 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Yes, that's the way the VAT tax works, but not the way things work in the USA. Are there tax exempt organizations in Europe, and if so how are purchases by them treated? Maybe someone from Europe who knows this could answer.

Can't speak for European mainland, but in UK, which has 20% VAT added to the price of non-exempt goods. Note - some basic foods, children's clothing/shoe, etc do not have vat added.

VAT is charged on every transaction, but only the end user actually pays. Therefore, when an article moves through the supply chain, each purchaser pays VAT, but claims the tax back. The end user pays the tax and unless they are tax exempt, cannot claim it back.

A tax exempt business/organisation will claim back any tax paid on goods and materials they purchase. At least that's how the system worked when I lived in UK.

• Like 1