Breakdown of Gratuities since latest increase

8 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

I’m just curious if anyone has the breakdown since the increase to the gratuity was changed to 18.00. 

It is all smoke and mirrors - nobody has the correct breakdown and each ship is making up their own break-down numbers - so no need to even ask - it just does not make any sense to ask!

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

It is all smoke and mirrors - nobody has the correct breakdown and each ship is making up their own break-down numbers - so no need to even ask - it just does not make any sense to ask!

And to add to the confusion, people on here will post numbers as a fact, when in reality only RC knows. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

And to add to the confusion, people on here will post numbers as a fact, when in reality only RC knows. 

Actually not even the employees know and they don't get a set amount per passenger but a way more difficult calculation with all kinds of factors that contribute! Such as the magic 10 on the survey - just to even get a chance to get a decent payout of the bonus aka grats!

Edited by cruiseboy89130
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Years ago before they added "other workers" when I started Cruising per person, per day it was $1.25 each for Waiter and Room Attendant, 50 cents for Asst Waiter

Back then they actually got a set amount per passenger - these days Royal holds all back and calculates the "bonus" the way they want - factoring in all the points they want - such as the survey, on board revenue and more!

• Like 4

13 hours ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

12 hours ago, Billy Baltic said:

Well there is the official breakdown that people were posting, direct from Customer service. I had a copy from the old gratuity rate, I would assume it's the same with just a slight increase in each area. 

image.thumb.png.49ca6a15d0bbd32d41615d171a03bafe.png

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Scottdalfonso said:

Well there is the official breakdown that people were posting, direct from Customer service. I had a copy from the old gratuity rate, I would assume it's the same with just a slight increase in each area. 

No it is NOT official - as you very well know in the other thread there were 4 or 5 different break-downs from different ships - all on little paper slips - they all made up their own little slips to get rid of the question.....just because it is printed on a little slip of paper, does not make it official or true....

And since there is a complex formula and NOT a a set amount per passenger - the slips are nothing but a lie to begin with!

Edited by cruiseboy89130
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

No it is NOT official - as you very well know in the other thread there were 4 or 5 different break-downs from different ships - all on little paper slips - they all made up their own little slips to get rid of the question.....just because it is printed on a little slip of paper, does not make it official or true....

And since there is a complex formula and NOT a a set amount per passenger - the slips are nothing but a lie to begin with!

I have not actually seen other versions of this... and how is there not a set amount per passenger? Every passenger pays the same thing. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Scottdalfonso said:

I have not actually seen other versions of this... and how is there not a set amount per passenger? Every passenger pays the same thing. 

There are many diffrent versions of the slip  on this board alone!

Royal has its own way of how they want to calculate the bonus for the employee.....and how they want to pass on the money....it does not go 1:1 to the employees for sure!

• Like 2

I didn’t post this because I’m getting paid (that’s a ridiculous comment) or to annoy anyone. I simply asked if anyone has the paper with the revised breakdown of the new gratuity amount.

I was just curious if they increased the daily amounts distributed to each group equally  (attendant, server and other) or if one of the groups were getting more with this change. They all work so hard, I was curious as to how Royal sees each group.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

I didn’t post this because I’m getting paid (that’s a ridiculous comment) or to annoy anyone. I simply asked if anyone has the paper with the revised breakdown of the new gratuity amount.

I was just curious if they increased the daily amounts distributed to each group equally  (attendant, server and other) or if one of the groups were getting more with this change. They all work so hard, I was curious as to how Royal sees each group.

I'm curious... are you curious where the extra money is going for your air fare?  What about for groceries?  Food?  Clothing? Cars?  Heck, even base cruise fares. A LOT (most?) things are going up in prices.  Why are people so worried about the breakdown for gratuities?  Heaven forbid some employee is getting an extra 50 cents from me over the course of a one week cruise.   

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Billy Baltic said:

14 hours ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

Actually not even the employees know and they don't get a set amount per passenger but a way more difficult calculation with all kinds of factors that contribute! Such as the magic 10 on the survey - just to even get a chance to get a decent payout of the bonus aka grats!

2 hours ago, Scottdalfonso said:

I'm curious as to the breakdown. The gratuities are an additional cost that is charged to all of us, separate and apart from the cruise fare.  If gratuities are supposed to go to the crew on my behalf, then I want to know that they make it to them.  I would feel scammed if I found out that very little or none of the gratuities that I paid made it to the crew.  Just because Royal takes it upon themselves to "streamline the recognition process for their crew" rather than have us do it directly doesn't mean that we don't need to know how that money is being allocated. 

There should be more transparency in the gratuity process and that would shut down future threads on this topic.  Royal can put an end to these gratuities threads very easily.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, nu_cruzer1 said:

I'm curious as to the breakdown. The gratuities are an additional cost that is charged to all of us, separate and apart from the cruise fare.  If gratuities are supposed to go to the crew on my behalf, then I want to know that they make it to them.  I would feel scammed if I found out that very little or none of the gratuities that I paid made it to the crew.  Just because Royal takes it upon themselves to "streamline the recognition process for their crew" rather than have us do it directly doesn't mean that we don't need to know how that money is being allocated. 

There should be more transparency in the gratuity process and that would shut down future threads on this topic.  Royal can put an end to these gratuities threads very easily.

You are being scammed

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

In a restaurant on land do you know how much the waiter tips out to the cook, dishwasher and in some places even the manager? In some jurisdictions tip money can be used for performance bonuses or even towards part of the wages. They don’t have to tell you any of this. Ships follow the laws of their flag country and don’t have to tell you anything. Find a cruise line you trust treats their employees well is all you can truly hope for.

• Like 1

On land based restaurants, I give my waiter the tip.  The waiter knows how or whether the tips will be divided up.  If management came to my table and told me to give them my tip so they can give it to the waiter, I would have questions/concerns about that.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, nu_cruzer1 said:

When you buy a couch, do you know how much of your money goes to the sales staff?  Delivery drivers?  

As I understand it, if you want to give money directly to an RCI employee, no one is stopping you.  And you can opt out of the automatic gratuity.  So, problem solved.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

When you buy a couch, do you know how much of your money goes to the sales staff?  Delivery drivers?  

As I understand it, if you want to give money directly to an RCI employee, no one is stopping you.  And you can opt out of the automatic gratuity.  So, problem solved.

When you buy a couch the furniture store does not ask if you would like to add on a preset arbitrary amount of money to the transaction.

• Like 9