Your cost of "non-included" dining is going up...

cruisedoctor

3 hours ago, MissP22 said:

So now in addition to the regular tip each day an anything extra we usually give at the end of the cruise, we can also expect an 18% for the add on's as well. 

Have they missed anything? 

“Have they missed anything”. Lol. The potential could be long. I guess we need to prepare ourselves on what will be next. I’m sure this will apply to all cruise lines. Once one start something new, the rest will follow. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Sure.  They have yet to add a service charge for delivering bags to the cabin and from the cabin to the terminal at end of voyage.

For once, we've avoided that surcharge by carrying our own luggage. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

Only if you choose not to buy into their overpriced package. 

To my mind the  plus package is underpriced. If I had to pay by the drink it would cost me well over $100 per day just for cocktails 

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, memoak said:

To my mind the  plus package is underpriced. If I had to pay by the drink it would cost me well over $100 per day just for cocktails 

That is provided you drink the max of alcoholic drinks per day (at their listed prices) even on port days, plus maybe 8 or 9 coffees per day and not to mention numerous waters, staying hours on the phone & internet to boot. 🙄

You quickly realize that the package is highly weighted in their favor. 

Convenient, yes, but not really cost effective for most people. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guest Snaxmuppet
2 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

That is provided you drink the max of alcoholic drinks per day (at their listed prices) even on port days, plus maybe 8 or 9 coffees per day and not to mention numerous waters, staying hours on the phone & internet to boot. 🙄

I am not so sure about that.

The Plus package seems like it wouldn't require much in the way of drinks to come out on top if you have an internet device.

At £50 a day for UK passengers that seems pretty good value to me.

Would most people get that value from it? I think that most would come close or exceed it IMO. A lot wouldn't and that is why it is worth each of us asking the question.

For me... I get the Premier package and get value from it every day <hick!>

With the pricing as it is... if you think you would definitely get value from the Plus package then it is worth asking might you get value from Premier because it is just £15 extra per day but you actually get quite a lot more for that £15 IMO.

YMMV

16 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

I think you need to check your math. The drinks I have are priced at around $12 per drink. I have around 10 per day plus a few lattes. Even without the coffees that would come to $120 per day. That is double the price of the package

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

I am not so sure about that.

The Plus package seems like it wouldn't require much in the way of drinks to come out on top if you have an internet device.

At £50 a day for UK passengers that seems pretty good value to me.

Would most people get that value from it? I think that most would come close or exceed it IMO. A lot wouldn't and that is why it is worth each of us asking the question.

For me... I get the Premier package and get value from it every day <hick!>

With the pricing as it is... if you think you would definitely get value from the Plus package then it is worth asking might you get value from Premier because it is just £15 extra per day but you actually get quite a lot more for that £15 IMO.

YMMV

The premier package does not do much for me   I take cruises between 10 and 21 days. I sail in a full suite so that gives me a free specialty dinner, I rarely drink anything that is over the plus package, I don’t take photos and sail on ships that do not have an Alfredo’s so the extra price of premier really doesn’t pay off for me

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Not even close.  I come out way ahead.

But I value nearly everything the package offers, not just alcohol.

I take two exercise classes per day, for one 🙂

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Can you provide a breakdown with your math?

It appears to be incorrect.

Edited by startedwithamouse
  • Like 1

Guest Snaxmuppet
56 minutes ago, memoak said:

The premier package does not do much for me   I take cruises between 10 and 21 days. I sail in a full suite so that gives me a free specialty dinner, I rarely drink anything that is over the plus package, I don’t take photos and sail on ships that do not have an Alfredo’s so the extra price of premier really doesn’t pay off for me

As I said... YMMV

I wouldn't expect many people to value the Premier package but some will... me included 🙂

I am a pretty liberal tipper, and I don't see that behavior changing in the future.  I added this disclaimer to emphasize that the following is for humor purposes only.  Not philosophies are implied.

350349372_303097274387808067289.jpg.87c09d98c0a7c19474ce9c8420012776.jpg

Not related, OK, very remotely related, is a sign I saw in the vet's office:  Rambunctious children will be given a cup of Espresso and a puppy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, memoak said:

I think you need to check your math. The drinks I have are priced at around $12 per drink. I have around 10 per day plus a few lattes. Even without the coffees that would come to $120 per day. That is double the price of the package

If it's a great a value as you perceive it to be just wait till Princess increases the price in the near future because they claim they're not making sufficient profit.

• Like 2

Let's try and bring the thread back to the topic at hand of the tipping  being added to dining rather than debating the value of the packages with cocktails.  Though I do love a good cocktail debate and plan on putting my premier package to good use next week!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Al1952 said:

Yep same for me, 39 x2 plus 18% for the sterling steak house, great meal still worth it

I still want to know if I will pay 18% of perceived value on included or gifted speciality restaurant dinners 

Guest Snaxmuppet

I just wish that this whole crew appreciation thing was scrapped. Tipping... yes, I get that and long may it continue to reward good service... but adding it to the bill automatically, and not giving it directly to the staff concerned, is nothing more than just a way to justify increasing the price by 18% IMO. I would much prefer to see a bit more honesty and Princess (and everyone else for that matter) just increase the price and do away with this facade that this 18% is some kind of crew appreciation. It really isn't IMO.  OK, some of it might get through to the crew, but it would be a whole lot more honest if they just charged us more and paid the staff a better wage.

This "will it be added or won't it"... and "shall I tip or is it already covered in the CA" business would disappear and we could just enjoy the cruise without all this complication.

Sorry to rant but it wrangles me with the whole dishonesty, sleight of hand, trick that Princess (and the other lines) pull and we just have to suck it up.

Edited by Snaxmuppet