CruiseNext dept gets commissions!

fstuff1

Never knew this till recently.

They get commission for cruises booked.

And I'm betting they get commissions for CruiseNext certificates sold.

That would  explain why they are pushing people to buy $1000 worth :o

Edited by fstuff1
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

Sales people getting commissions?    Crazy world I tell ya.   

Never thought of them as sales people.

Shrug.

So restaurant personal that sells additional dining packages on board get a commission too?

Edited by fstuff1

I would have been way more surprised if you'd said that they didn't get commission. It's not something I've thought about, but I kind of took it for granted. Why else would they push so hard to sell?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Asawi said:

I would have been way more surprised if you'd said that they didn't get commission. It's not something I've thought about, but I kind of took it for granted.

Why else would they push so hard to sell?

I just thought they were told to sell a 4pack of CN certs as much as possible.

2 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

Never knew this till recently.

They get commission for cruises booked.

And I'm betting they get commissions for CruiseNext certificates sold.

That would  explain why they are pushing people to buy $1000 worth 😮

Yes, of course.  And that is why they act very similarly to time-share salespeople right down to the confusing/misleading statements.   

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

Yes, of course.  And that is why they act very similarly to time-share salespeople right down to the confusing/misleading statements.   

Well, i thought of them NOT mentioning that the onboard credit you receive for buying CN can be used to pay for CN is from  ncl instructions.

Ncl wants the buyer to spend/waste that obc in the shops onboard.

but yes, i agree with you about misleading in selling those.
for the other things they do (running Platinum benefits, informational talks in the Atrium), i think they do fine.

Edited by fstuff1

42 minutes ago, Vegasvolfan said:

They clearly said in all presentations I saw that you could use obc to pay for cruise next.

I don't think I have ever heard them say that, certainly not voluntarily.  I agree with what's been said, they want you to think that OBC has to be used for other stuff, essentially increasing your onboard spend.  There is no doubt in my mind that is their plan and intention.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

I don't think I have ever heard them say that, certainly not voluntarily.  I agree with what's been said, they want you to think that OBC has to be used for other stuff, essentially increasing your onboard spend.  There is no doubt in my mind that is their plan and intention.

I haven't heard them saying it when buying the certificates. On every Cruise next presentation I've seen they've said it though. Very clearly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

Cruise next i just thought they were told to sell a 4pack of CN certs as much as possible.

They(some) try the double up line.

"If you have nothing you want to spend your OBC on we can double the number to 8 CN  as an alternative"

Viva, no drop box for CN they wanted to talk to you.

Constant line everytime we went past.

Even first day when latitudes have to sign up for events they spent ages selling so just delayed people that just want to book their perks.

Also started doing quizzes to promote CN.

That's on top of the sales/itinerary updates.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, julig22 said:

Where does it say they get a commission for booking cruises?

Last I checked (which was early October), credit for onboard bookings goes to the agent that booked the cruise you are on.

I know my TA says the same as does the CN personnel I’ve interacted with.

7 hours ago, julig22 said:

Last I checked (which was early October), credit for onboard bookings goes to the agent that booked the cruise you are on.

I suspect it's two separate commissions and I suspect the OP is using the term "commission" liberally, but not necessarily incorrectly.

A CN salesperson could be incentivized to book cruises.  That incentive is likely some form of referral bonus/fee which is common in many lines of business.  That referral fee could be considered a "commission" according to the English language definition of "commission".  The CN salesperson's incentive/commission is likely completely separate and different from a booking agent's commission. 

I have no idea if that is how it works with NCL, but it certainly is plausible.  That is the way many businesses work, including my own.  If one of my employees directly generates some upsell with an existing customer, they get a bonus that has no impact on the salesperson's commission. 

Next post will be that the spa employees are on commission lol. 

I would expect all sales people on the ship to be incentivised by commission and or sales targets. This isn’t new news. 

I’ve found the CN people to be nice and not pushy, yes they said what about 8 certificates I said no I need X amount. They never pushed it from there. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, julig22 said:

That's what the cn person said.

Maybe they get commission only for cruises sold that weren't xferred to a ta?

3 hours ago, PATRLR said:

I suspect it's two separate commissions and I suspect the OP is using the term "commission" liberally, but not necessarily incorrectly.

A CN salesperson could be incentivized to book cruises.  That incentive is likely some form of referral bonus/fee which is common in many lines of business.  That referral fee could be considered a "commission" according to the English language definition of "commission".  The CN salesperson's incentive/commission is likely completely separate and different from a booking agent's commission. 

I have no idea if that is how it works with NCL, but it certainly is plausible.  That is the way many businesses work, including my own.  If one of my employees directly generates some upsell with an existing customer, they get a bonus that has no impact on the salesperson's commission. 

Ah.. ncl paying commission twice.

Never thought of that.

Edited by fstuff1

3 hours ago, DominicAUS said:

I would expect all sales people on the ship to be incentivised by commission and or sales targets. This isn’t new news. 

I’ve found the CN people to be nice and not pushy, yes they said what about 8 certificates I said no I need X amount. They never pushed it from there. 

Yes, but to me, reaching a  target goal to get a bonus is not commission.

Ie: A Xmas bonus if the company does well.

Yes cn people are nice.

But them starting out saying would you like 4 (or 4each if a couple) if asking to buy cn is off-putting. 

I'd rather them say how many would you like.

Yes, they don't push it after I say I only want 2

Edited by fstuff1

I thought it was a little off putting for the CN guy to ask everyone in line who were there to sign up for the behind-the-scenes tour if they have purchased their CN certificates.  I can see why they'd do it (if they can't sell, they'd be out of a job), but if we were eligible for a free tour, we are aware of CN.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SomewhereGirl said:

I thought it was a little off putting for the CN guy to ask everyone in line who were there to sign up for the behind-the-scenes tour if they have purchased their CN certificates.  I can see why they'd do it (if they can't sell, they'd be out of a job), but if we were eligible for a free tour, we are aware of CN.

It's the reason the CN people handle it, it gets wallets in front of them for something free and an opportunity to convert it into a sale. Otherwise shore ex could do it but they are chasing their own sales.

2 hours ago, SomewhereGirl said:

Perhaps because there might be people on line to sign up for a free tour that were not entitled to?

Kind of like asking the folks on the ticket holders line if they have tickets.

2 hours ago, SomewhereGirl said:

This is a real problem as they restrict any latitude perk booking to first day and can result in long lines.

That's a lot of people on some cruises to service and many like us don't want a sales pitch at sign up time or 30mins+ wait for a 30 second interaction.

They need to separate the loyalty support first day sign up from the sales of CN/cruises.

• Like 3