Thoughts, impressions, and observations for the World Cruise.

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Aww that's sweet...but not needed.  😉  

I stated from the beginning...this is not my live review...but simply somewhere for all of us to interact and post observations.  🙂   Plus since I am leaving on 2/11 and not rejoining again until July 10th in Barcelona...if this thread is to continue, my fellow cruisers will (I am sure) take over.  🥰

You are leaving Serenade on the same day that I depart from Odyssey.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, island lady said:

Yes, they are using the term "formal".   Though I don't think a lot of pax took the extra space in their already too packed luggage to take much of it.  Not to mention closet space limited.  

Though indeed have seen some "dressed to the nines"....but for us....dressy casual is about the best we will do.  😉 

I'm following a couple of HAL world cruises.  Some pax are using luggage that joins three nesting-size cases which link together for wheeling, as well as shipping cardboard cartons of other items. The luggage will go under the bed, and cartons can be discarded.  (Although, I remember being offered out-of-cabin storage for our luggage, long ago.)

Cruise papers include the notice that formal wear is required for entrance to all table service restaurants on the (many) formal evenings.

2 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

I remember doing a pasta class!  It was fun and we ate afterwards.  

When I got home, I decided to give the homemade pasta a go from my lesson on board.  It was fun and very tasty indeed!  😋

13 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

I'm following a couple of HAL world cruises.  Some pax are using luggage that joins three nesting-size cases which link together for wheeling, as well as shipping cardboard cartons of other items. The luggage will go under the bed, and cartons can be discarded.  (Although, I remember being offered out-of-cabin storage for our luggage, long ago.)

Cruise papers include the notice that formal wear is required for entrance to all table service restaurants on the (many) formal evenings.

Wow!!  😮 

Posted (edited)

Well, my egg did not break...but was cracked...so eliminated. 😉 I am totally surprised it was not a total splat.  That is way up there on deck 9!!  

Unreal amount of contestants...more than I have ever seen.  I think there were 37 of us.  Could not even get a look at my flight down, too many observers on the rail next to the launch area crowding me  out.  

After I was finished, I walked down and viewed the rest of the contestants from deck 8.  (I was #16).  Some really cool designs!  My favorite was the last one with the landing gear, but could not get a decent photo of it. 

A lot of contestants used the leftover balloons from the NYE balloon drop.  

20240102_093425.jpg

20240102_113659.jpg

20240102_114108.jpg

Edited by island lady
  • Like 10

Posted (edited)

During the egg drop event....captain came on the speaker to tell us we were going though 60 knot winds that came up suddenly from the east.  Hurricane force in fact.  One door up on 12 got jammed open, bringing in rain and wind all the way into the centrum like a fine mist.  Weird.  

Walking back to the cabin...realized the ship was tipped over a bit to starboard (wind hitting us hard on the port side).  Captain even had to go off course to steer to the west a bit to get out of the broadside affect.  Pretty wild off our balcony right now.  😮 

He told everyone to stay off the open decks, especially promenade deck #5.  Probably even more wild down there with the high seas.  

20240102_115957.jpg

Edited by island lady
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, island lady said:

Well, my egg did not break...but was cracked...so eliminated.

Just can't buy good eggs anymore. Graduations anyway. At least you tried. 🍷

So no before picture(s) of your egg drop apparatus? Maybe you should have borrowed a couple of Bucky's corks to attach to your egg drop apparatus. 😁

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CSHS1979 said:

Just once so far. John got 2

Agree, excellent soup. How about the appetizer, Asian Pork Tacos? I know John liked them as I do. I could have ordered more and made a meal out of them. 

Edited by doghog
  • Like 1

I just saw one of the vloggers do a short clip on YouTube, that they are running out of some of the wines. They mentioned Oberon Red, and they have already gone through 3 pallets. I’m not a wine drinker, but that must be a popular wine.

1 hour ago, doghog said:

Just can't buy good eggs anymore. Graduations anyway. At least you tried. 🍷

So no before picture(s) of your egg drop apparatus? Maybe you should have borrowed a couple of Bucky's corks to attach to your egg drop apparatus. 😁

OMG...I never thought about it.  Drats...sorry about that, should have taken a picture of it.  Though I did not even come close to winning...it was kinda cute with the blown up latex gloves on it.  You know...the kind you really don't want your doctor wearing when you walk in to see him?  😉 

• Haha 8

Well, my egg did not break...but was cracked...so eliminated. 😉 I am totally surprised it was not a total splat.  That is way up there on deck 9!!  

Unreal amount of contestants...more than I have ever seen.  I think there were 37 of us.  Could not even get a look at my flight down, too many observers on the rail next to the launch area crowding me  out.  

After I was finished, I walked down and viewed the rest of the contestants from deck 8.  (I was #16).  Some really cool designs!  My favorite was the last one with the landing gear, but could not get a decent photo of it. 

A lot of contestants used the leftover balloons from the NYE balloon drop.  

20240102_093425.jpg

20240102_113659.jpg

20240102_114108.jpg

You never told us how you designed it. Did you cushion it with those nasty scrambled eggs from the buffet?

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

I just saw one of the vloggers do a short clip on YouTube, that they are running out of some of the wines. They mentioned Oberon Red, and they have already gone through 3 pallets. I’m not a wine drinker, but that must be a popular wine.

Wow...yup, that is Bucky's favorite  wine.  He has had a standing order for a glass of Oberon Cab with dinner for over 3 weeks now, but 2 nights ago...was told they are out.  

Now...they are even out of Kim Crawford SB, my go to wine.  Really bummed out about that one!!  There is no Sauvignon Blanc they have on board that even comes close to it.  😠

Sad, as up until now, there were no shortages.  Not sure what happened in Rio, but I guess they did not pick up any supplies...and being a large embarkation port, I saw a lot of supply trucks down there when we were docked up. Maybe they were just for the other cruise ships.  Not sure what happened, or why they did not bring on the wines.  It's not like we are a full ship.  

3 minutes ago, island lady said:

OMG...I never thought about it.  Drats...sorry about that, should have taken a picture of it.  Though I did not even come close to winning...it was kinda cute with the blown up latex gloves on it.  You know...the kind you really don't want your doctor wearing when you walk in to see him?  😉 

I can imagine that.  Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. 😵

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

You never told us how you designed it. Did you cushion it with those nasty scrambled eggs from the buffet?

No...but funny though!!   Parachute top with toilet paper streamer, and blown up latex gloves attached to the bottom for cushion.  😉 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, island lady said:

Wow...yup, that is Bucky's favorite  wine.  He has had a standing order for a glass of Oberon Cab with dinner for over 3 weeks now, but 2 nights ago...was told they are out.  

Now...they are even out of Kim Crawford SB, my go to wine.  Really bummed out about that one!!  There is no Sauvignon Blanc they have on board that even comes close to it.  😠

Sad, as up until now, there were no shortages.  Not sure what happened in Rio, but I guess they did not pick up any supplies...and being a large embarkation port, I saw a lot of supply trucks down there when we were docked up. Maybe they were just for the other cruise ships.  Not sure what happened, or why they did not bring on the wines.  It's not like we are a full ship.  

I guess they did try to replenish in Rio, but no luck. I do like the Kim Crawford SB when I have wine. I did a wine tasting in NZ in April, and their wines are so good…OK, I do drink wine sometimes, but prefer my Dirty Gin Martini…😉

• Like 1

During the egg drop event....captain came on the speaker to tell us we were going though 60 knot winds that came up suddenly from the east.  Hurricane force in fact.  One door up on 12 got jammed open, bringing in rain and wind all the way into the centrum like a fine mist.  Weird.  

Walking back to the cabin...realized the ship was tipped over a bit to starboard (wind hitting us hard on the port side).  Captain even had to go off course to steer to the west a bit to get out of the broadside affect.  Pretty wild off our balcony right now.  😮 

He told everyone to stay off the open decks, especially promenade deck #5.  Probably even more wild down there with the high seas.  

20240102_115957.jpg

I experience at least couple days weather/wind similar to this each yr, actually enjoy feeling like we're on a Ship. In 35+ yrs of Cruising only once got Sea Sick, not throwing up was in bed most one day. While on my first 13niter in North Atlantic about 12yrs ago, was also my first true Aft Cabin on highest passenger Deck. You know it's going to be real fun when hey stack/tie up all the Deck Chairs and Drain the pools

28 minutes ago, island lady said:

Now...they are even out of Kim Crawford SB, my go to wine.  Really bummed out about that one!!  There is no Sauvignon Blanc they have on board that even comes close to it.  

Agree. Our go to SB also. No matter the cruise line or ship. You and Bucky need to speak with the F&B manger before your next port stop with your requests. 😉 Enjoy your HH. 🍻

• Thanks 1

I have a slightly different question:

Will the Serenade be refurbished/refreshed after it gets back from the last leg of the WC?
Will the changes that they made the WC (for example laundry rooms) be left or torn down?

And is there any crew that will sail the entire 274 days like the cruisers or every segment will have a complete crew change? I can see fun in cruising for 274 days, but it is a lot of work days if a crew member is working for that long.

• Like 1