Thoughts, impressions, and observations for the World Cruise.

3 minutes ago, island lady said:

OMG...it was great!  One of the best tours ever...and love those small group tours.  Just not into "cattle call bus tours".  😬

We did an all day “walking” tour of Buenos Aries a few weeks ago.  Booked through Viator.  Only three of us.  Guide was an English teacher on summer vacation.  Nanci and me.  Other person was from Andorra.  Meeting someone from Andorra?  What are the odds?  “Walking” because we did use bus system since attractions in BA are spread out.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, island lady said:

From what I understand from various sources...and even our tour guide today who lives up in the mountains...the large group from the ship, still never made it to Machu Picchu.  Not sure when they are coming back.....assuming sometime tonight.  

Well that sucks.

I just went up to look up Machu Pichu urban myths of things that could happen to people who go there.  Instead I clicked on the Urban Dictionary page about Machu Pichu, well that was an eye opener. 😂

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

15 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Well that sucks.

I just went up to look up Machu Pichu urban myths of things that could happen to people who go there.  Instead I clicked on the Urban Dictionary page about Machu Pichu, well that was an eye opener. 😂

Dangit people!  First you have me looking at Silversea cruises and now you have me reading Urban Dictionary!  This thread is sending me down rabbit holes left and right! 🐰 😝

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

22 minutes ago, ILCTCRUISER said:

We did an all day “walking” tour of Buenos Aries a few weeks ago.  Booked through Viator.  Only three of us.  Guide was an English teacher on summer vacation.  Nanci and me.  Other person was from Andorra.  Meeting someone from Andorra?  What are the odds?  “Walking” because we did use bus system since attractions in BA are spread out.

Wow...indeed my kind of tour.  Happy you lucked out as well.  🥰

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jakeil7 said:

Dangit people!  First you have me looking at Silversea cruises and now you have me reading Urban Dictionary!  This thread is sending me down rabbit holes left and right! 🐰 😝

Hi Alice!!  😁

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

That's sucks, for them to give it a go and still not complete the excursion.

From what I saw on one of the FB blogs, royal arranged some great tours in lieu of MP.  Looks like those posting had a really nice time.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

From what I saw on one of the FB blogs, royal arranged some great tours in lieu of MP.  Looks like those posting had a really nice time.

Wonder if they gave those the option to opt out for a full refund for that excursion once they knew they weren't going to make it to MP?

Edited by Jimbo

8 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Wonder if they gave those the option to opt out for a full refund for that excursion once they knew they weren't going to make it to MP?

I suspect royal will refund a portion of the excursion to MP for those that paid for it.   

Remember they did get off ship, fly everyone to Cusco to hotel hoping the train would be running the next day while working on a back up plan.   

I think everyone onboard is fully aware that ports and plans will change for many different reasons and will enjoy visiting all the new places.   Based on the Serenade blog they had a very nice day exploring the area and are still having more exploring today back in Lima.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

Where is Bucky's chef's hat?  

He didn't want to wear it.  We had a choice of wear or not two wear.  It was a bit too warm in there with the burners going, so I simply tied my hair back and Bucky went free fly.  😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Exactly.  No one expects things to be perfect....that is part of the adventure.  You make it up as you go, get creative (as we did yesterday) ....then you sail away to the next experience.  That is what traveling is all about.  🥰

And if we were so concerned about saving money...(as someone not on this ship can't seem to get over the money part of it  🤔)....we would not have booked this cruise or tours in the first place. 

We are all here for the experiences...be they good or bad...happy or sad...we are out here doing it and having the time of our lives and making the best of what we are dealt...that is life.    😍 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, doghog said:

The Chef is wearing it. Bucky would be a Junior Chef. 😉

LOL...was what I was thinking as well.  Though it was cute our guide was calling all three of us "Chefs".  😄  Was really fun watching Bucky get into the cooking...he does not do that very often and loved it.  The wine and beer helped also.  😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Exactly.  No one expects things to be perfect....that is part of the adventure.  You make it up as you go, get creative (as we did yesterday) ....then you sail away to the next experience.  That is what traveling is all about.  🥰

And if we were so concerned about saving money...(as someone not on this ship can't seem to get over the money part of it  🤔)....we would not have booked this cruise or tours in the first place. 

We are all here for the experiences...be they good or bad...happy or sad...we are out here doing it and having the time of our lives and making the best of what we are dealt...that is life.    😍 

I think the money aspect is purely out of curiosity and not about saving money or how much you can afford.  As in, what does a trip like this cost for the average cruiser onboard?  It's one thing to know the base price, but quite another to know what is spent to actually get a great/full experience.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, island lady said:

You did make me laugh with that one.😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hi. We will be on one segment - Istanbul to Ravenna (June 7-20) - but have been following along from the start. This is our first cruise since 2019 and really looking forward to revisiting some new, and several familiar, Greek, Turkish and Italian ports.

Has anyone posted current Cruise Compasses for Serenade? Is there a link someone can share? I check royalcaribbeanblog.com, but the latest is from October.

On 1/27/2024 at 9:25 PM, pstone1 said:

Thanks for posting!  We did not receive this letter yet, but just did a little research and have decided we’ll book a private tour first thing tomorrow morning for Lima, Day 2!  Hope you have a fantastic time on your MP adventure!

John went, I stayed on ship

• Thanks 1

On 1/28/2024 at 6:36 AM, pstone1 said:

We just booked that tour for our (now) second full day in Lima!  It’s with Haku Tours but through Viator, as round trip transportation from the Port was included.  It looks great and in addition to the City Tour, it includes the Monastery with a visit to the catacombs, dinner, and the Magic Water Fountains for $105 each!

Fountains and a city tour through Royal was $59

20240130_191723.jpg

20240130_192704.jpg

20240130_192852.jpg

20240130_193634.jpg

• Like 15

On 1/28/2024 at 8:13 AM, island lady said:

The letter was on our door very early this morning.  Another of those commercial ports, no walking on pier...shuttle to terminal.  From what we can see...huge truck traffic back up trying to come into the port.  Enterprising locals setting up their stands on the dock.  😉  

20240128_075557.jpg

20240128_075648.jpg

20240128_075654.jpg

20240128_075710.jpg

I picked up several things and had a Pisco Sour. John sent me back out for this. $15 and they let me walk on with it.

20240131_094401.jpg

• Like 7

On 1/28/2024 at 4:04 PM, Etta1213 said:

Can any body tell me what the price range was for this full world cruise? Am assuming they sold all the cabin categories, just like regular cruises? Am really hoping Royal considers this a wonderful success and continues to offer it.

Started at $59K pp for insides plus $4K in taxes

Edited by CSHS1979
  • Like 2

On 1/29/2024 at 6:58 PM, ILCTCRUISER said:

Enclosed balconies are representative of the time when Spain was under Moorish control.  Veiled women could go out onto the balcony and lower their veils w/o being seen.

Very common in Cusco 

20240128165755_IMG_1082.thumb.JPG.4c137d761918a7ebbdd7b31a4c7b725b.JPG

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BND said:

I think the money aspect is purely out of curiosity and not about saving money or how much you can afford.  As in, what does a trip like this cost for the average cruiser onboard?  It's one thing to know the base price, but quite another to know what is spent to actually get a great/full experience.

Good point...but IMHO...I only care about what I spend.  Not interested in what others spend...that is their business and their personal decision.  😉   I am happily getting a great/full experience as it is what we make it.  

• Like 11