Thoughts, impressions, and observations for the World Cruise.

10 minutes ago, Tatra603 said:

Nope 

Just 2 options given.

Book an alternative cruise and get £100 per stateroom in OBC or get a refund.

No option 3 to board in Dubai and take the new itinerary to Cape Town.

We all know they'll repackage it and double the price, but I still reckon we should have been given first priority.

Instead we'll be involved in a bun fight for a very sought after cruise with no guarantee of success even though having booked the flight and hotel, I'll be in Dubai anyway. And I'll lose the nice stateroom I had.

That’s bad ☹️

And not fair.  I’d be peeved too.

We nearly booked the Dubai leg but the dates didn’t work for us. 

The new alternative (if it gets picked) sounds amazing, they probably aren’t offering you anything because they are going to put the prices right up. 
All the same - you should have been given an option to sail from Dubai.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Tatra603 said:

Nope 

Just 2 options given.

Book an alternative cruise and get £100 per stateroom in OBC or get a refund.

No option 3 to board in Dubai and take the new itinerary to Cape Town.

We all know they'll repackage it and double the price, but I still reckon we should have been given first priority.

Instead we'll be involved in a bun fight for a very sought after cruise with no guarantee of success even though having booked the flight and hotel, I'll be in Dubai anyway. And I'll lose the nice stateroom I had.

This is very bad form from RC.

Turns out us mini segmenters were considered second class passengers after all.

We recently had a cruise cancelled by Regent due to the ship (Regent Mariner) being on a World Cruise and needing to get from Abu Dhabi back to Miami. Their option was full refund (which we took) or book on one of 2 itineraries going around African (30% discount)....but nothing toward airline changes fees. The 2 new itineraries....while nice....were way more $$$ (even with 30%off) and would involved expensive flights. Not the same as what you're facing and I hope RCI gives you more...and better options...than you have now. 

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

I don't know why they couldn't at least offered the May 9th canceled cruisers the option of just going from Dubai to Capetown for their 18 night cruise, then all they would have to do  is change their returning  home flight from Athens to Capetown to home.

I think that would have been a great option for them to offer provided people choose itinerary option #1 (Africa) because it would arrive in Cape Town on the 27th.  If option #2 was picked though (Africa and Greece), then it would arrive in Cape Town on something like the 20th, making that cruise a full week shorter than booked.

RCCL has cut a day off our booked cruise on us previously and basically said we will move you to the new shortened one with $50 OBC.  Not sure how that would go over if they said they were cutting a week off your cruise from Dubai.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Russ Lomas said:

I think that would have been a great option for them to offer provided people choose itinerary option #1 (Africa) because it would arrive in Cape Town on the 27th.  If option #2 was picked though (Africa and Greece), then it would arrive in Cape Town on something like the 20th, making that cruise a full week shorter than booked.

RCCL has cut a day off our booked cruise on us previously and basically said we will move you to the new shortened one with $50 OBC.  Not sure how that would go over if they said they were cutting a week off your cruise from Dubai.

Let's face it, there's no way option 2 will be chosen.

I'm not even sure why a choice was given other than to delay the decision further and screw over the mini segmenters.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tatra603 said:

I'm not even sure why a choice was given other than to delay the decision further and screw over the mini segmenters.

I would be absolutely shocked if option 2 was picked, but stranger things have happened.  Option 1 sounds like it would be a great add for those who are on for the entire segment reaching ports that very few people would have been to.  Really sucks for those on the mini-segments though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tatra603 said:

Correct, no way option 2  will be picked. Why are they still jerking people around?

Was an insult to even show that one in the theater. If they would have showed that one first someone would have been thrown overboard. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/15/2024 at 2:27 PM, orville99 said:

The only devices that can withstand 220 to 110 conversion are those that have the capability built into them. (Usually clearly marked 110/220V 50/60Hz on the UL certification label) The problem with using an after market adaptor (unless you spend a lot of $$$ on it) is that the ship’s 220 is 50 Hz and our 110 is 60 Hz, and what you are buying is merely a step down transformer - us old folk used to call that a rheostat). The inability of the adaptor to change from 50/60 cycles per second will generate additional heat on the motor, and increased load on the heating element. In short, the motor runs slower, the elements run hotter, and the device can’t handle that for long before the thermocouple safety overheats and shorts out the device.

Is this true for a power converter? Rather than the cheaper adaptor most of us have?

Option 2 was provided so RCI could say, “Well, there was a cheaper alternative, but our world cruisers chose otherwise, so sorry!  Hope you don’t need medical attention after checking out the prices on these segments.” 😂 

All kidding aside, I hope the majority chooses Option 1, and we get to enjoy the trip vicariously thru them.  What an adventure and opportunity for a unique cruise for the full world cruisers! 🙂

Edited by barbeyg
  • Like 7

46 minutes ago, Tatra603 said:

Idk which each leg costs, but to me 50% refundable obc might be a big chunk of money difference? Depends what you paid for that leg? You still have as many days onboard for earning pts, but the money difference might make some choose one over another. I have no idea what they paid for this leg. How much money is the difference? 

If Immersive Africa is chosen, guests will receive 25% off the pro-rated segment 3 cruise fare in the form of a refundable onboard credit. The amount increases to 50% if Africa & Greece is the winner. 

It will be interesting to see the final result even though obviously most already have an opinion about it.  I guess they thought if they give people a choice that there won't be as much grumbling when the final decision comes out.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Idk which each leg costs, but to me 50% refundable obc might be a big chunk of money difference? Depends what you paid for that leg? You still have as many days onboard for earning pts, but the money difference might make some choose one over another. I have no idea what they paid for this leg. How much money is the difference? 

If Immersive Africa is chosen, guests will receive 25% off the pro-rated segment 3 cruise fare in the form of a refundable onboard credit. The amount increases to 50% if Africa & Greece is the winner. 

They also have to take into consideration the number of sea days, though.  🙂 Option 2 could be interesting on TicTic, with all the sea days and potential drama resulting (for TicTocers not even onboard 🙄), but I would be surprised if people chose that many sea days after so many thus far.  I agree though, that 50% off may be enticing for some.  It will be interesting to see how this plays out. 👍🏼

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BND said:

It will be interesting to see the final result even though obviously most already have an opinion about it.  I guess they thought if they give people a choice that there won't be as much grumbling when the final decision comes out.  

Possibly, but on a World Cruise what do most people want? ports, ports, ports?  or a lot of sea days?

55 hours on land and 576 hours out at Sea before they hit Turkey, if they pick the itinerary with all the sea days

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

I was supposed to be joining in Athens on the 27th. Only given two options, either choose another sailing (no price protection, up to US$400 flight change compensation) or full refund (without any flight change compensation).

No mention in RCI's cruise cancellation email about the African itinerary choices. Would've been nice to have been offered my originally booked stateroom on the new itinerary at the originally booked price. 

Looks like waiting for the new itinerary to be bookable as a mini isn't really an option with only 3 days between African itinerary announcement and deadline to change sailing/get full refund. That's not much time to sort out flights and accommodation!

• Like 6

Just now, Jimbo said:

Possibly, but on a World Cruise what do most people want? ports, ports, ports?  or a lot of sea days?

We would want ports. Lots of interesting places to visit.  But that’s us. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Jimbo said:

I think you misunderstood my point.  If people think they have a choice then they'll be happier than if they were just told the decision.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BND said:

I think you misunderstood my point.  If people think they have a choice then they'll be happier than if they were just told the decision.  

One of the reasons RCI stays at the top, IMO. They get that, obviously. 🙂And provided two options.

Edited by barbeyg
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Easier to read Itinerary options posted with permission from World Cruiser Adita . 

Option 1 Immersive Africa.jpg

Option 2 Africa and Greece.jpg

Just looking at all the stops in Africa made me wonder if there would be a need for additional vaccinations for that continent? 

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, CruiszBug said:

Just looking at all the stops in Africa made me wonder if there would be a need for additional vaccinations for that continent? 

https://www.go2africa.com/african-travel-blog/vaccinations-need-africa

That may be the reason for no new passengers getting on in Dubai, They want the ship to be mostly just the full cruisers, low numbers under 1000 onboard.

It's only going to be the full world cruisers onboard, everyone else is getting off in Dubai

Really losing money on this cruise now with less then a 1000 passengers onboard for all that time.

Start sailing the route and then oops no one can get off........... That surely would make the news huh?

Edited by Jimbo

23 minutes ago, barbeyg said:

We would want ports. Lots of interesting places to visit.  But that’s us. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I already thought 10 years ago I'd have loved all those ports, now I thought omg so many ports in a row, I dont have that much energy.

I wonder if anyone older is onboard, I'd be happy with fewer ports, but 10 years ago could have kept up. Wish I'd had this cruise as a option when I was in my 50s or 60s. I'm guessing too the vote is for option 1. A chance to see unusual ports. I think this is a great adventure. I do about every other port when I'm doing new ports even now. Now I am just living vicariously through those on this adventure. Wonder if all this means first and last world cruise rcl does. 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I already thought 10 years ago I'd have loved all those ports, now I thought omg so many ports in a row, I dont have that much energy.

I wonder if anyone older is onboard, I'd be happy with fewer ports, but 10 years ago could have kept up. Wish I'd had this cruise as an option when I was in my 50s or 60s. I'm guessing too the vote is for option 1. A chance to see unusual ports. I think this is a great adventure. I do about every other port when I'm doing new ports even now. Now I am just living vicariously through those on this adventure. Wonder if all this means first and last world cruise rcl does. 

I have to confess we enjoy staying onboard some port days too. 😁 And I would never bet against anyone saying this is the last world cruise by RCI.  

• Like 4

Very quiet day on board today. Lots of waves this morning so the pool was closed. But it’s quieter now. The ship is going very slowly right now.

The big event was the town hall meeting re the changed itinerary. Lots of passengers discussing the options. Lots of questions. We are not affected as we get off in Brisbane.

IMG_0955.thumb.jpeg.706c79bbc7268e7d07ba9bb7d6984472.jpeg

Hilo tomorrow. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Jimbo said:

https://www.go2africa.com/african-travel-blog/vaccinations-need-africa

That may be the reason for no new passengers getting on in Dubai, They want the ship to be mostly just the full cruisers, low numbers under 1000 onboard.

It's only going to be the full world cruisers onboard, everyone else is getting off in Dubai

Really losing money on this cruise now with less then a 1000 passengers onboard for all that time.

Start sailing the route and then oops no one can get off........... That surely would make the news huh?

So you don't think the two new mini segments will be repackaged and put on sale?

4 hours ago, CSHS1979 said:

Someone on FB made a chart comparison of the change between original itinerary and option 1 and 2

FB_IMG_1708116650790.jpg.d344b6d89d95fc831aeabe1b97f23b87.jpg

For me option one is actually a much better itinerary than the original one. 

We are booked on the Anthem repositioning to Singapore in Oct/Nov and I really hope they change it to something similar to this.

• Like 2