What's it like on Christmas and New Year's Day

SunAngel

Hello, I think I know the answer but here is the question - We are taking a 14 day cruise which will be over Christmas and New Years and will be in port on both those days. I guessing that everything will be closed, is that correct? What's it like on board?

We’ve done both.  Only once over Christmas with tons of families and kids everywhere.  Lots of activities for them, and yes, Santa made an appearance for the little ones and he gave out small presents. Full Christmas dinner in the MDR. Most shops in the ports are closed.  Not a cruise we would do again.

On the other hand, we’ve always enjoyed  New Years cruises.  Not as many kids and more of an adult vibe.  New Year’s Eve is fun.  Celebrations everywhere in the lounges and out on deck.  Lots of entertainment all over the ship and the ship is rocking til the wee hours.  We’re actually doing a Celebrity cruise this New Years and it will be terrific, as always.

Edited by Lady Arwen
  • Like 2

We've done both as well, multiple times. As @Lady Arwen described, New Year's Eve is definitely a lot of fun. Every time we've enjoyed this it was a formal night and the vibe was amazing with lots of party dresses and suits and tuxedos. Of course everything else was acceptable too. What was really amazing was the next morning all the confetti, popped balloons and streamers were nowhere to be found.

We really enjoyed Christmas on the ship. Festive decorations, organized Christmas Carol singing, visits from Santa and so on. On one of the ships the officers were allowed to bring their families on board (this was just before COVID). We had our grandkids with us and they got to pal around with children from other countries all week. To this day they still keep in touch.

• Like 2

New Year's eve is AMAZING!!  Huge party out on the pool deck if weather is nice.  Also a more subdued option for those less inclined to whoop it up inside the ship.  Everyone gets dressed up so nice. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SunAngel said:

Hello, I think I know the answer but here is the question - We are taking a 14 day cruise which will be over Christmas and New Years and will be in port on both those days. I guessing that everything will be closed, is that correct? What's it like on board?

Festive

and

FUN

nothin’ better than being ona cruise ship 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, iamaqt2 said:

New Year's eve is AMAZING!!  Huge party out on the pool deck if weather is nice.  Also a more subdued option for those less inclined to whoop it up inside the ship.  Everyone gets dressed up so nice. 

Things do get a little crazy at the pool party. We'll be doing the quiet option next News Years in the Piazza, if you can call that quiet. 

• Like 2

On Christmas morning everyone runs down the staircase in the Piazza dressed in their PJs and rushes the Christmas tree to find their presents.  Then they go to the fireplace mantel next to International Cafe where there is a real log fire burning to get their stockings.  Oh wait...maybe not.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We're onboard for Christmas and NYE again this year.

We always adopt a tree somewhere on the ship so our kids can open Christmas presents. 

Christmas or Holiday Wishes holiday show is in the Princess Theater.

Our kids love 'twas the Night before Christmas read by the CD. 

Snow is on deck Christmas day with most all crew there for the sing-along, not just entertainment. 

NYE is a big deck party, hats, everyone dresses up. Countdown on MUTS.

• Like 2

On 12/2/2023 at 10:04 AM, SunAngel said:

Stores that will be open depends on the port.

• Like 2

It's the best way to spend the Holidays!! We've had a family tradition of going on a Holiday cruise since the kids were littles. They are much older now and still love the family tradition. There are multiple families who cruise every year for the holidays and we've made really good friends with some of them. 

They are many children on board holiday cruises, but we've never had a negative experience because of it. 

Depending on the port, some places may be open for the holidays. I prefer when the holidays fall on Sea Days. 

The ship is decorated and festive, the crew is happy and friendly. 

It's amazing and lovely. My favorite time of year. 

• Like 2

We did NYE on Ruby last year and it was a lot of fun! There was a special dinner menu (although it may be similar items to the normal menu idk but it did say NYE). Big deck party with lots of free champagne. They passed out hats and crowns and there were lots of NYE themed photo backgrounds. Last year it was a formal night but this year on the Regal I suspect it may not be since we have a port call until 6 pm.

• Like 1

My wife and I have done a couple of holiday cruises. One was on NCL before the pandemic and we departed December 23 . Christmas day had lots of people in PJs all day. Cruises ended need years eve. Worst cruise I've had due to what seemed like an unhappy crew and the ship being at max capacity. Wouldn't have been so bad if the crew was a little happier and parent s didn't let their.kids.run wild and out of.control. 

Did a Princess cruise a couple years ago. . Departed the day after Christmas so I can't comment on Princess for Christmas day. New years eve was one of the best new years eve parties I've ever had. Ship was partying hard by any standard much less Princess!. Pool deck was packed and even a good amount of crew was up there partying. Things didn't quiet down until around 3am. Ship used the ships current position time zone which was an hour ahead of the East coast. So having grown up in the West coast it was a unique experience to hit new years before new York. And we celebrated again with New York. 

it should be noted that cruise was shortly after cruising started back up after the pandemic so certainly there was some lent up setting demand! It was the Caribbean Princess' 4th or 5th cruise back I think it was. Awesome cruise 

Edited by rmsmith
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, iamaqt2 said:

I had so much fun on our New Year's 2023 cruise. Here are some pics and video if it will load.  They had an ice sculpture with 20 and 22 then shoved the 22 in the pool and slid in 23. 

20221231_192918.jpg

20221231_231138.jpg

20221231_231628.jpg

20221231_234413.jpg

Awesome!  Thank you so much for sharing.  We’re doing a New Years cruise this year and you just helped me get even more excited!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Awesome!  Thank you so much for sharing.  We’re doing a New Years cruise this year and you just helped me get even more excited!

You're going to have an amazing time!  Princess knows how to throw a party!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, iamaqt2 said:

You're going to have an amazing time!  Princess knows how to throw a party!

We’ve done three NY cruises on Princess, but this year we’re sailing on Celebrity Ascent.  I’m sure it will also be amazing!

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Thrak said:

What time do they use? I'm guessing it would be the ship time wherever you are but one never knows...

Of course. It wouldn't make much difference anyway,  people were to drunk to care.

• Haha 1

Just to be a bit nitpicky.... the actual question was about New Year's Day. NYE is awesome (as many have posted above), but New Year's Day is just a 'regular' day on the ship. The holiday decorations usually come down and the ship is going back to 'normal' operation.

• Like 1