Rude and Obnoxious Behavior by Couple with Genie

mets123

I just have to vent about what happened while leaving the Anthem yesterday in Cape Liberty. My wife is a stroke survivor and gets on and off the ship in her wheelchair. When our number was called, we left our room and headed to the elevator. A half empty elevator stopped and all the people around us allowed us to get in first. As we were backing in, a really obnoxious woman and husband told us to stop and cut right in front of us. She stated she has priority services and we HAD to let them in first . There was still room for us but she ordered their genie to shut the door and had us wait for the next on.                                                                                                                Any thoughts?                                                               I know you can't fix stupid and ignorant.

4 minutes ago, mets123 said:

I just have to vent about what happened while leaving the Anthem yesterday in Cape Liberty. My wife is a stroke survivor and gets on and off the ship in her wheelchair. When our number was called, we left our room and headed to the elevator. A half empty elevator stopped and all the people around us allowed us to get in first. As we were backing in, a really obnoxious woman and husband told us to stop and cut right in front of us. She stated she has priority services and we HAD to let them in first . There was still room for us but she ordered their genie to shut the door and had us wait for the next on.                                                                                                                Any thoughts?                                                               I know you can't fix stupid and ignorant.

I was on your sailing as well.  My hope is that karma bites them back.  

Teddie

• Like 5

If the genie was there I would find it hard to believe that they would make a wheelchair person leave.

I too would have glared and told them find the next elevator and to be grateful they could walk on.

I mean really that is the height of ignorance.  I must say 99% of the time on ships, folks are nice to those in wheelchairs.

But one time last year I had to put my arm out to stop a few teenagers from running on ahead of wheelchair person.  They looked at me sheepishly and slouched away sort of understanding their unkindness.    

• Like 2

I'm sorry that happened to you. I've had to travel in a scooter before and I was always pleased by how other passengers made room for me in the elevators.  My thoughts are that money can't buy class and karma always comes through in the end.    

• Like 7

1 hour ago, teddie said:

Teddie

Ditto. Both comedy acts on board mentioned the atrocious behavior on the elevators. I can't say I've ever noticed until last week....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, teddie said:

Teddie

I honestly belive that karma already did.. happy people that are satisfied with their lives don't behave like that. I never wish bad things to happen to anyone but I have seen many people bring bad things on to theirselves because of their choises in life. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Oceansaway17 said:

If the genie was there I would find it hard to believe that they would make a wheelchair person leave.

I too would have glared and told them find the next elevator and to be grateful they could walk on.

I mean really that is the height of ignorance.  I must say 99% of the time on ships, folks are nice to those in wheelchairs.

But one time last year I had to put my arm out to stop a few teenagers from running on ahead of wheelchair person.  They looked at me sheepishly and slouched away sort of understanding their unkindness.    

Agree...a Genie would've welcomed a wheelchaired person in the elevator.

Shame on the passengers and Genie if they stopped the OP.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mets123 said:

I’m sorry this happened to you. 

As someone who has cruised Star Class on multiple occasions, the main time our different Genie’s have used the express mode is on departure day.  The only other time I can think of is if they are walking us off the ship at a port of call. In our experiences if someone was boarding the elevator with us they were always welcome.  We or our Genie would press their floor, as well as ours and the guest was none the wiser to being on the express ride. We certainly would not cut the line, and would not allow our Genie to do this to others. It really doesn’t hurt to be kind.

That said, I know there are rude Star guests.  I have heard about them from Genies that have become friends and first hand with my own eyes. Unfortunately I bet this Genie had to put up with their egotistical behaviour all week. At this point and time he was probably just happy to get rid of them. 

Sorry again.  You would be more than welcome to ride with us. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, jerryg95 said:

Try and teach the offending passengers right from wrong. After that fails wait for the next elevator and get on with your life. 

I did. If you read the entire post, you would have read that I did get the next elevator

• Like 1

I always try to hold the door for the person in the wheelchair and their family to get in the elevator comfortably.  If there is no room for me then I back out and wait for the next or take the stairs.  Next cruise I may be the one in the wheelchair or the scooter.  Those elevator doors do not wait for anyone.

• Like 6

I would remember that if these folks were really that awful then that genie had been dealing with that constantly for a week. Sometimes folks under stress especially under pressure from someone that has significant power over them don’t make the best snap decisions. I would not suggest sending emails to top brass folks. It feels like this was more of a rude passenger issue. I get what you are saying but in this situation although I wouldn’t be happy with what happened I don’t think I would put it on Royal. 

That Genie could be thinking just like you that if they’d had a few minutes to think they would have reacted differently. Thinking back would you not have commented at the time if you weren’t a little shocked?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Denversail said:

I would remember that if these folks were really that awful then that genie had been dealing with that constantly for a week. Sometimes folks under stress especially under pressure from someone that has significant power over them don’t make the best snap decisions. I would not suggest sending emails to top brass folks. It feels like this was more of a rude passenger issue. I get what you are saying but in this situation although I wouldn’t be happy with what happened I don’t think I would put it on Royal. 

That Genie could be thinking just like you that if they’d had a few minutes to think they would have reacted differently. Thinking back would you not have commented at the time if you weren’t a little shocked?

As the saying goes ... If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Just now, ZoeyVictoria said:

It is not only the guests who are rude. I was physically shoved to the side by an MSC butler charging ahead to clear a path for his group of Yacht Club guests heading to an elevator. 

If you were shoved by an MSC employee you should file a complaint with MSC.

If it happens again in the future just don't stop; can't stand when these entitled people do things like this.  Elevator courtesy is non-existent anymore.  If we are waiting with someone in a scooter/wheelchair we always allow them to board first.  If however, a group has been waiting and they come in their scooter as the elevator is arriving I think it's fair that those who have been waiting should board.

On a recent cruise on another line a group of adults had been waiting and just as the elevator arrived a group of 5 boys came flying down the steps and ran for the elevator.  I had absolutely NO issue yelling to them that they should have some manners and let those who have been waiting board the elevator.  They took off back up the steps.  People applauded!  I guess if their parents won't teach them manners someone has to and I won't hesitate.

• Like 3