Concerns about changes to upcoming Grandeur ports

the_dylaness

Perhaps someone on the roll call can share more information, but I wanted to express my concern to the broader Regent CC community about the recent changes made to the December 21 Grandeur sailing.

As I understand it (please correct me if I am mistaken, Dec 21st sailors), first, Nicaragua was removed as a port of call. This also happened to my January 6th Grandeur sailing, on about the same day. Ok... I wasn't pleased, but things happen.  Would've been nice to have a replacement port but, c'est la vie.

Now most recent the final 3 ports of call were eliminated for the December 21st cruisers, replaced with 1 port of call (Puerto Vallarta) and an arrival into LA a day earlier than planned.

For a total of 9 days of sailing on a 16 night cruise.  (Again, if I got the details wrong, please correct me!)

This is a substantially different cruise than people initially booked and paid for.  I understand that this is not the first time recently that major changes were made to a Regent itinerary, but this is not suddenly a war zone, so why the changes?  Acapulco, ok, I can maybe get with the recent issue there... but this is starting to look like a completely different trip.

I am on the sailing immediately after which is essentially a mirror image of this cruise and worried that the same will happen to my sailing, as well as feeling very sad for the folks who have received only $500 OBC for this upheaval (I was going to say inconvenience but no, it is truly a significantly different cruise with many more sea days and a night in... LA?)  If I wanted to spend 9 of 16 days at sea I'd book a far less expensive transatlantic.  I am sure Regent is saving more than $500 per person on included shore excursions by canceling 4 ports.

Edited by the_dylaness
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I agree very very disappointing to miss Acapulco, Cabo San Lucas and Ensenada. R gave no reason?

I was recently on an O cruise that changed Acapulco to Puerto Vallarta. I would comment on the excursions:

I cannot recommend SIERRA MADRE TREKKING. The description was 2+ hours of hiking but it was only 40 minutes covering 1/2 mile. The missing time was spent riding in a van and hanging out at a "5 star resort" (not) where we could buy things.

Those that did the horse back riding were happy with that excursion. Got lots of time and nice trails.

I saw the Jeep Safari and they looked in excellent condition and clean. I would try that. 

The LA DULCE VISTA RIVER CANYON RETREAT was the "5 star resort" the Trekking went and killed time at. It was no place I would want to go for 4 hours. Nobody was there I saw.

Edited by floatplan
  • Thanks 1

We're booked on this cruise, first time on Regent.  Yes, we've lost several ports, and get to spend our last night at the pier in scenic San Pedro.  The email we got from Regent:

Dear Valued Guest and Travel Partner,

We hope you are looking forward to your upcoming sailing on board Seven Seas Grandeur.

Our company is committed to driving a positive impact on society and the environment. As part of our global sustainability program, Sail & Sustain, we are continually seeking opportunities to reduce our footprint in support of our commitment to pursue net zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2050.

As part of this effort, we are in the final stages of commissioning shore power technology on Seven Seas Grandeur.  This important and innovative sustainability initiative will provide the infrastructure for Seven Seas Grandeur to connect to an onshore electrical power grid to supply much of the power needed while docked. Plugging into shoreside electricity allows the ship’s engines to be switched off, eliminating nearly all emissions while in-port.

To facilitate this, we will be modifying your upcoming cruise by replacing the calls to Acapulco, Mexico, Cabo San Lucas, Mexico and Ensenada, Mexico with Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, an overnight in Los Angeles, California and an additional day at sea. 

The modified portion of the itinerary is below.

DATE

PORT

ARRIVAL

DEPARTURE

30-Dec-2023

Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala

7:00AM

5:00PM

31-Dec-2023

At Sea

--

--

1-Jan-2024

At Sea

--

--

2-Jan-2024

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

5:00PM

3-Jan-2024

At Sea

--

--

4-Jan-2024

At Sea

--

--

5-Jan-2024

Los Angeles, California

--

6-Jan-2024

Los Angeles, California

--

Disembarkation

RSSC.com will be updated shortly to reflect the updated itinerary.

A separate communication will be sent once shore excursions in the new ports are available to reserve online.

Thank you for your understanding and support on this important sustainability initiative, and as a token of our appreciation, we will provide guests with $500 shipboard credit per suite.

Should you have any questions, please contact your Travel Advisor or Regent Seven Seas Cruises’ Reservation Department at the phone numbers below.

We look forward to welcoming you onboard very soon.

Regent Seven Seas Cruises

Regent Seven Seas Cruises Reservations Phone Numbers:

• United States / Canada: 1.844.4REGENT (1.844.473.4368) or (954) 776-6123
 United Kingdom: 023 8082 1390

• Rest of Europe: +44 23 8082 1350
• Australia / New Zealand / Asia Pacific: 1.300.455.200
• Latin America / Brazil: 0800 400-3132 or +1 (954) 940-7486

Please note that this email address does not accept replies.

Yes we are on too along with friends.  TOTALLY NOT HAPPY with a meager $500.  Had my great TA call Regent today who told them to have me send something from their web site that TOTALLY does not work.  Mike are you reading this?  This would be our 2nd Regent cruise with 2 more booked all in PH cat rooms, might be the last.

My thoughts exactly. I would never have booked an expensive cruise with this itinerary. We live in SF area--why would we choose a day in LA?? We purposely avoid LA! We choose our cruises for destinations, not sea days. And it's on such short notice. We are extremely disappointed, yet what recourse do we have? I honestly think the $500 should be $5000 and cash refund rather than shipboard credit. Not happy! Any ideas of a group action?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, puzzlegirl said:

My thoughts exactly. I would never have booked an expensive cruise with this itinerary. We live in SF area--why would we choose a day in LA?? We purposely avoid LA! We choose our cruises for destinations, not sea days. And it's on such short notice. We are extremely disappointed, yet what recourse do we have? I honestly think the $500 should be $5000 and cash refund rather than shipboard credit. Not happy! Any ideas of a group action?

Blow up social media.

NYT and other major travel ombudspeople.

Sounds like this has nothing to do with security concerns or medical concerns but an issue about electric power? What? Was this a recent revelation for Regent? What a kick in the gut for those passengers who booked an entirely different cruise than what they are getting. Full refund Regent!!

• Like 3

The letter's specious excuse (goal) of wanting to limit/eliminate "Green House Gases" by 2050 sounds like something that was "cranked out" of the Public Relations Department and not the Operations or Security Department.

I.e., "We don't want to pollute Acapulco, Cabo, and Ensenada right now, so we'll pollute Puerto Vallarta, the ocean, and LA instead!"  Huh??  🤔

I'm usually one to give Regent the "benefit of the doubt"...up to a point.  But this one is certainly like the ocean itself...It smells fishy!  And again, leads us back into the endless/recent discussion about Regent's "contractual right" to do just about anything they please, right up to the last moment, and with the legal obligation to provide any real monetary compensation.

To my own suspicious mind, it sounds like someone in Miami thought that waving the "Environmental Flag" would provide rational cover for making a quite significant itinerary change to one particular cruise.  Those new shore electrical power facilities (in Acapulco, Cabo, and Ensenada) certainly aren't going to be completed anytime in the near future and certainly not before many other cruise ships dock in those ports.  There are absolutely "other actual/real reasons" going on behind the scenes for changing this particular sailing schedule. Regards.

• Like 3

Reading that letter made me think Regent is trying to finish some work that they didn’t have time to get done at the shipyard or en route so far. Maybe they have a hard deadline to meet in order to dock at San Pedro. 

When you book a cruise, doesn't your TA tell you that the cruise line can change EVERY port under the terms of the contract? Just curious...I have people sign a disclosure so that I can be absolutely certain they know exactly what the possibilities are.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

When you book a cruise, doesn't your TA tell you that the cruise line can change EVERY port under the terms of the contract? Just curious...I have people sign a disclosure so that I can be absolutely certain they know exactly what the possibilities are.

Does your contract also tell your clients that they should never expect (or feel in any way entitled) to any reasonable amount of compensation or redress from the cruise line when those ports are changed (doesn't matter "whose "fault" it is), eliminated, or when "the product" that is (was) being sold (and fully paid for well in advance by the client) is substantially changed from what was first advertised and purchased?

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, pingpong1 said:

Does your contract also tell your clients that they should never expect (or feel in any way entitled) to any reasonable amount of compensation or redress from the cruise line when those ports are changed (doesn't matter "whose "fault" it is), eliminated, or when "the product" that is (was) being sold (and fully paid for well in advance by the client) is substantially changed from what was first advertised and purchased?

I don't have a contract, I have a disclosure. It tell the clients that the ports can change or be removed and the cruise line is not required to pay any compensation. It also suggests they read their contract or I will be happy to read it to them. I don't often accept new clients so this isn't a regular thing and the ones I have travel 6-9 months out of the year so they know what's up. I was asking in the hope that people were being educated by the TA's they are using.

I understand the legal implications of a contract and I also understand that sometimes things happen that force a cruise to deviate from its intended itinerary. In this case, something is very suspicious and I feel that Regent’s explanation is very vague and an attempt to CYA. If it is something they were supposed to have in place prior to this cruise then it’s on them and they should heavily compensate the people on this cruise. It reminds of the Regent cruise that couldn’t visit New Zealand because Regent didn’t properly clean their hull. I think a person paying for a product of any kind should have reasonable expectations that the supplier, in this case Regent, will have the necessary capabilities to provide such a service. If Regent wasn’t ready and knew going in that this could/would be an issue that could alter the expected itinerary then I think they should give a full refund for a fraudulent act. Having said that, we don’t know exactly what happened but again the explanation left me with a simple reaction, Huh?

I think Regent owes their customers a better explanation and more details on how and why this cruise got changed so dramatically.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Travel-or said:

Yikes! Wait until you read the winners of 2023 U.S. Editors' Picks Awards: Best Cruise Lines by Cruise Critic. Regent only "won" one category: for Best Itineraries...

https://www.cruisecritic.com/editors-picks/luxury/

Does it look like the winners were spread out so everyone won something (other than Seabourne!)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Whinenowine said:

Does it look like the winners were spread out so everyone won something (other than Seabourne!)

Best Luxury Cruise Line-Silversea Cruises

Best New Luxury Ship-Silversea Cruises' Silver Nova

Best Cabins-Viking

Best Dining-Oceania Cruises

Best Enrichment-Windstar Cruises

Best Itineraries-Regent Seven Seas Cruises

Best Service-Crystal

Best Shore Excursions-Oceania Cruises

Best for Solo Travelers-Crystal

Best Spa-Viking

Best Value for Money-Emerald Cruises

Best for Families-Explora Journeys

1 minute ago, minotaur said:

I'd be interested to hear whether anyone UK based is reading this thread, as my understanding is that UK legislation means that a major change in itinerary (such as this) means you can cancel with no penalties.

True....but they also have far worse payment dates and cancellation dates/etc.

Edited by Pcardad

4 hours ago, pappy1022 said:

If it is something they were supposed to have in place prior to this cruise then it’s on them and they should heavily compensate the people on this cruise.

If Regent wasn’t ready and knew going in that this could/would be an issue that could alter the expected itinerary then I think they should give a full refund for a fraudulent act. Having said that, we don’t know exactly what happened but again the explanation left me with a simple reaction, Huh?

I think Regent owes their customers a better explanation and more details on how and why this cruise got changed so dramatically.

Keep in mind these itineraries are planned years in advance.  Things change between when they are planned, sold and sailed.  There is no way Regent or any cruise line can guarantee that all ports will be accessible and safe months or years later.  These cancelled ports are not unusual or first time ports where “Regent wasn’t ready or knew going in that this could be an issue”   Fraud?   Seems a bit extreme when you say you “don’t know exactly what happened” and you didn’t understand or are not willing to accept their explanation.  What “better explanation” or “more details” do you need.  The contract spells this all out and you agree to it when you book.   The same things happen to airline flights, train schedules, guided tours, excursions, restaurant menus, and on and on.  

2 hours ago, fak said:

Whatever the reason for the change to itinerary it was for their convenience - not ours.

I doubt very seriously this a “convenience” for Regent, I would imagine exactly the opposite 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Smitty A said:

I doubt very seriously this a “convenience” for Regent, I would imagine exactly the opposite 

Really???   Did you read the letter.  Cancelling the port because it does not have shore power.  I wonder how many ports in the EU will be cancelled because they do not have shore power.  Will they cancel all tender ports in the future like St Barts...

Cancelling these ports means only one thing $$$$$ to NCL and their profitability issues.  Shore power saves a significant amount of money.

• Like 2

I think we're all aware that the contract we sign gives them the "right" to do or change anything they want, with no benefit accruing to us the passengers.  But the real question is, SHOULD they?  Is it really the right thing to do?  I don't think I can ever trust Regent again.  This is a total Bait-and-Switch. I would have NEVER chosen this itinerary to spend this amount of money on.  And to be at the very last minute?  Unconscionable.  Apparently they are aware of our "disappointment" as today we received another letter offering a 20% FCC.  Personally I still don't feel it's enough.  I just feel very, very cheated.  We've been waiting 18 months for this cruise (or rather, the one we originally booked) but now we have no enthusiasm for it whatsoever.  

• Like 5

Alright, here comes a rant(if you're not in the mood for that, which is understandable, please just scroll on:)

We're on this cruise, first time on Regent.  We are folks who save and save and save to go on a luxury cruise.  With all that's gone on in the world we haven't done so for five years now.  We picked Regent for their reputation, this great itinerary and the allure of a shiny new ship(despite my misgivings about a new ship rollout, hoo boy, should have listened to that inner voice of caution.)

I understand that things happen and do try to be flexible.  We were prepared for cabin doors creaking, drawers not closing, all of that fine tuning stuff.  But be clear on what Regent told us this was all about:

They let a newbuild, designed to take on shoreside electrical power, leave the dockyard unfinished.(And oh yeah, they were so happy with how things were going they tacked on a cruise before the first announced cruise.)  And they're going to sail it to Miami, where the grand proceedings can't be interrupted.  So that leave us MIA-LA pax to be the ox that gets gored.  Too bad, so sad.

An OBC on an AI cruise?  Yippee.  20% FCC within two years?  Outside of our budget to be useful.  Same for the additional discounts on slow sellers in 2024. 

Go on, let me have it.  You can't do worse to us than Regent already has.

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

Alright, here comes a rant(if you're not in the mood for that, which is understandable, please just scroll on:)

We're on this cruise, first time on Regent.  We are folks who save and save and save to go on a luxury cruise.  With all that's gone on in the world we haven't done so for five years now.  We picked Regent for their reputation, this great itinerary and the allure of a shiny new ship(despite my misgivings about a new ship rollout, hoo boy, should have listened to that inner voice of caution.)

I understand that things happen and do try to be flexible.  We were prepared for cabin doors creaking, drawers not closing, all of that fine tuning stuff.  But be clear on what Regent told us this was all about:

They let a newbuild, designed to take on shoreside electrical power, leave the dockyard unfinished.(And oh yeah, they were so happy with how things were going they tacked on a cruise before the first announced cruise.)  And they're going to sail it to Miami, where the grand proceedings can't be interrupted.  So that leave us MIA-LA pax to be the ox that gets gored.  Too bad, so sad.

An OBC on an AI cruise?  Yippee.  20% FCC within two years?  Outside of our budget to be useful.  Same for the additional discounts on slow sellers in 2024. 

Go on, let me have it.  You can't do worse to us than Regent already has.

☹️I’m so sorry. Not the way it should be.