Surprising someone onboard - try it...you'll like it.

schmoopie17

Earlier this year, friends of ours had booked the Prima. We decided we would join them...but not tell them. Right after they embarked they told us they were having their first drink in the Local bar. Immediately after boarding...about 10 minutes later...we rushed to the Local. Imagine their surprise when they turned around to see us. 

Fast forward to two months from now. Former neighbors of ours who we haven't seen in two years booked the Jade for February. Guess what we're doing...can hardly wait. (I'd say I can't wait...but I have to wait).

• Like 16
  • Haha 6

18 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

Seems like that could either work out very well or be very disappointing if the other folks are trying to escape for alone time.   😉

In the first instance, they were going with two other couples (who we also know). They were all surprised to see us. In the second instance, they actually asked us to go along but we never showed an interest in going. So, no worries about wanting to be "alone" in either case.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

Earlier this year, friends of ours had booked the Prima. We decided we would join them...but not tell them. Right after they embarked they told us they were having their first drink in the Local bar. Immediately after boarding...about 10 minutes later...we rushed to the Local. Imagine their surprise when they turned around to see us. 

Fast forward to two months from now. Former neighbors of ours who we haven't seen in two years booked the Jade for February. Guess what we're doing...can hardly wait. (I'd say I can't wait...but I have to wait).

Friends of our did the same thing with to us on the Dawn out of Tampa. We were suppose to go to Bermuda together the summer before, Heather had fallen and broken her foot. Fast forward 5 months later my wife and I are on board, I'm texting my buddy Ken and he is telling me how lousy the weather is at home etc... We go and do our lifeboat drill and get back to our cabin for sail away. Their is a note on the door (NCL) stating we must come to guest services to pick up a package. I'm thinking what the heck is this about? We walk down to guest services and get in line, my wife is in front of me. I feel a top on my shoulder and sure enough its Heather and Ken. To say we were surprised was an understatement. Now here is the weird part. Heather and Ken booked the cruise about 2 weeks prior to the sail date. When she called she was able to give NCL our names, find out what cabin we had, what excursions we had booked etc... so much for privacy Lol

Edited by Laszlo
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Now here is the weird part. Heather and Ken booked the cruise about 2 weeks prior to the sail date. When she called she was able to give NCL our names, find out what cabin we had, what excursions we had booked etc... so much for privacy Lol

That's scary.  What if Heather was a stalker?!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

No offense to the OP but in most cases I think it's pretty selfish and obnoxious to do this.

Think about all the months of planning people do for their vacation and that's suddenly upended because you now expect them to hang out with you.   These people aren't your family.   And while they may love you they may also love to plan their time with you. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

Another scenario: I don't think i would be that thrilled if we were in the Haven and the surprise guests weren't, but still expected to hang out all the time. 

But even with all other things being equal, it would really take a lot for me to show up and surprise someone. I'd REALLY, REALLY have to know they wanted us there, for sure. 

• Like 2

we were surprised to see my moms doctor on our "mom survived cancer" cruise. but it was a coincidence and funny. i would not be happy by a surprise "we are crashing your vacation" unless its someone I usually travel with. 

• Like 2

My husband and I definitely have a strong preference for traveling just the two of us.  Our circle of friends mention from time to time how great it would be to do a group cruise.  I think I will be more discreet about sail dates and ship names going forward.  People who are very outgoing sometimes don't realize that others might not like this type of surprise.  Glad the OP seems to have chosen wisely.

• Like 8

9 hours ago, shof515 said:

i have been on cruises where i saw some old coworkers and friend onboard the ship unexpectedly . its a small world 

Happened to my parents on another line.  They were in the theater (show, excursion, disembarkation, I don't recall) and my dad gets a text suggesting that he turn around, there's someone he worked with for 30 years.  

• Like 1

In almost 20 years of cruising we've NEVER run into anyone we know aboard ship.  Personally, I think that's kinda weird considering just how many cruises we've been on (not to brag...☺️) but I guess that's how life is.

I think OP's plan was a wonderful idea BUT as many others have pointed out I could see that idea going south in a VERY big hurry if the other couple was taking the cruise for 'alone' time or to escape from some drama at home.

I wish the VERY best of luck to anyone who tries this idea and hope it works out well.  If not....well NCL's ships ARE pretty big & it's easy to get lost...😋

• Like 3

The idea sounds neat. But I agree that this should be a couple you know well and would spend time with outside of cruising and don't go into it with the idea that you are going to "hang out " all week. Planning a couple dinners together and meeting up for drinks a few days would be reasonable. Expecting them to change any of their plans to accommodate what you want to do with specialty dining or excursions isn't. 

• Like 2

If you know the people well, it's not a risk. At all. The first couple we have cruised with a few times and have been lifelong friends. The second couple were our neighbors and we know them and their extended family (and mutual friends) extremely well. We have taken other (non-cruise) trips with them in the past.

Granted, this plan might not work out in all cases, but in ours, no worries.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

i would also take into consideration if your friends are traveling with other friends or family.

we have a very close friend who cruises with us  ( we usually book the 2 bedroom) next aug she has booked 2 balcony cabins for herself, daughter, granddaughter, son, his son, his girlfriend and her child.

i wouldnt think of surprising her by booking this same cruise.

i firmly believe, if they wanted us to join them, they would have brought up the subject

• Like 4

I think it’s a great idea if you know the people you are surprising would love the idea too. My husband & I did that to my mom and stepdad. She had been asking me to go on a cruise with her so I knew she would love it. I did make sure she wasn’t in the Haven as she normally is and through sleuthing I found out their cabin number….not through the cruise line. We normally talk by phone before she leaves port so I just called her and casually asked what she was doing. I found her and was she surprised. It’s honestly the best feeling in the world to plan a secret surprise and have it play out. They had a spa balcony so they hung out in the spa and we met up for lunch and dinner and shows. It worked out perfectly and I would absolutely do it again!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, complawyer said:

i firmly believe, if they wanted us to join them, they would have brought up the subject

You must have missed the fact that the second couple DID ask us to go along...as mentioned in post 5 (above). 

And I failed to mention that when the first couple books a cruise (which they do several times per year), they send us the itinerary in hopes we will join them.

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, slavetoabunny said:

My husband and have vacationed a number of times with friends (including cruising) and have decided we prefer vacationing by ourselves.  It wouldn't be a pleasant surprise for us.

Good to know. We'll be sure not to surprise you 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1