Serving temperatures

shipgeeks

A relative who is a self-proclaimed expert on the correct temperature for serving various wines was shocked that we served cheese at room temperature, claiming he had never heard of such a thing, and would never do so.

And he was horrified that anyone could eat Caprese salad that wasn't as cold as possible.

What do you say, Foodies?

I am surprised that the relative has never even heard of serving cheese at room temperature. It is "common knowledge" easily found with a quick Google. There is little point in eating cheese which is straight from the fridge as it's flavour is going to be significantly compromised as, from your comments, you already. It's why I will rarely order cheese in a restaurant as it's not often that you come a cross a mid-range place that bothers to prepare it well. 

I suspect the relative would be horrified to learn, from my Spanish relatives, that it's commonplace in that country to chill light red wines in the fridge, particularly for summer drinking. Yes, it goes against all the pre-conceived ideas of this North European. 

Edited by Harters
  • Like 3

There are probably cheeses best served chilled, but the ones I like are either best served at room temperature. Plus, of course, there are those incredibly lovely ways to serve cheese hot: fondues, sauces, binders for the crusts of many dishes, important elements for lovely things like quiches.

Give me a soft cheese like camembert and brie, and I'll let it rest at room temperature for as long as I can bear it. Give me my favourite cheesecakes and I'll do my best to let it rest overnight (chilled) to let the flavours blend, then bring it to room temperature to serve.

Give me slices of certain hard cheeses and thin sliced of radish and it's to die for. Served warm.

I'm with you on cheese serving temperatures.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2023 at 2:48 AM, shipgeeks said:

A relative who is a self-proclaimed expert on the correct temperature for serving various wines was shocked that we served cheese at room temperature, claiming he had never heard of such a thing, and would never do so.

And he was horrified that anyone could eat Caprese salad that wasn't as cold as possible.

What do you say, Foodies?

Your friend is probably American.

If so, he may be influenced by your US Food and Drug Administration, which sets the rules and standards for food and drink in America.

The FDA maintains that it is dangerous and illegal to serve cheese at room temperature to paying guests.

That standard has been passed to the local health departments in every US State.

If a Health Inspector visits an American restaurant and discovers a cheese plate at room temperature, the Restaurant may be fined or closed down.

25 minutes ago, BruceMuzz said:

The FDA maintains that it is dangerous and illegal to serve cheese at room temperature to paying guests.

I'm genuinely surprised to read that. But I'll bear it in mind for next year when we visit the States again and not order cheese at a restaurant.

On 12/8/2023 at 5:53 PM, BruceMuzz said:

Your friend is probably American.

If so, he may be influenced by your US Food and Drug Administration, which sets the rules and standards for food and drink in America.

That standard has been passed to the local health departments in every US State.

If a Health Inspector visits an American restaurant and discovers a cheese plate at room temperature, the Restaurant may be fined or closed down.

I eat Muenster cheese at home at times directly from being in the shopping bag and have never had a problem of any kind .

• Like 1

On 12/8/2023 at 6:21 PM, Harters said:

I'm genuinely surprised to read that. But I'll bear it in mind for next year when we visit the States again and not order cheese at a restaurant.

It's just a matter of letting it sit once brought to the table to come to temperature. You'd be getting a few small pieces on a cheese plate, not a big wedge. 

I do love the hotels in Germany we've stayed at that offer a cheese board at breakfast, and those are most definitely at room temperature, the way they should be. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Cheeses of all kinds are some of my favorite foods.  when just eating it by itself, I generally prefer it chilled and don't remember ever thinking there was a difference in flavor from the first piece off of chilled cheese plate and the last few that were surely room temp.

Seems odd there would be rules about room temperature cheese when many are aged for years at room temp.  I believe I was told that most cheese needs some sort of catalyst to actually spoil.

I love love LOVE fondue and other hot preparations of cheese like grilled cheese, croque monsieur or monte cristo. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/23/2024 at 12:09 PM, Seamus6 said:

Cheeses of all kinds are some of my favorite foods.  when just eating it by itself, I generally prefer it chilled and don't remember ever thinking there was a difference in flavor from the first piece off of chilled cheese plate and the last few that were surely room temp.

Seems odd there would be rules about room temperature cheese when many are aged for years at room temp.  I believe I was told that most cheese needs some sort of catalyst to actually spoil.

I love love LOVE fondue and other hot preparations of cheese like grilled cheese, croque monsieur or monte cristo. 

I was watching Food Network this morning and saw a recipe for French Onion Soup......that melted Gruyere cheese on top looked heavenly.🙂