A question about duty free and connecting flights...

talljules1

I obviously don't do enough flying any more to remember (or don't by enough duty free)!

We fly from Manchester (UK) to our Celebrity cruise departing Barcelona via two flights: Manchester - Charles de Gaulle and Charles de Gaulle - Barcelona.

As we're cruising for Christmas and NY, thinking it would be nice to take some wine with us. I know we can each take a bottle of wine on board. Will pack a bottle of Ice Wine in my suitcase. I'd quite like a bottle of champagne as well, and would rather not put that in my suitcase. If I buy a bottle in Duty Free in Manchester, am I likely to have any problems taking it through security in Paris?

We have a couple of days in Barcelona before our cruise, so will remember to put the wine in hand luggage before boarding the ship. (And, if pushed, it means I can buy the champagne in Barcelona.)

I don’t know if US TSA liquid restrictions apply in Europe. When we left Italy I had a full sized bottle of olive oil and balsamic vinegar in my carry on that passed through security without issue. I suggest looking up the rules for the individual countries for which you will be traveling. 

Probably depends on whether UK flights are "international" or domestic EU in Paris.  With Brexit do you have to claim and recheck bags in Paris?  If not, then you be fine.   Check which gates your flights use in Paris. And info on connecting flights might help:

https://www.parisaeroport.fr/en/passengers/flights/connecting-flights

Some Brexit info available here:

https://www.douane.gouv.fr/french-customs-information-available-english#Brexit

Edited by LeeW
more
  • Thanks 1

You may find this link useful https://airbag.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/AirBag/Recherche/bBAAANYKTA9wZVpnZ1pwdkRmHwA

I had a slightly different situation. Going through a plane change in Schiphol with duty free from LHR. My bottle of whisky was taken by security as it was over the 100ml allowed in the cabin. My hold luggage was processed through so no chance to move the whisky to my hold suitcase. Personally, I wouldn't buy duty free alcohol Manchester hoping to get it through a second security.

cheers, h.

19 hours ago, talljules1 said:

I'd quite like a bottle of champagne as well, and would rather not put that in my suitcase. If I buy a bottle in Duty Free in Manchester, am I likely to have any problems taking it through security in Paris?

I'm really not sure why there's so much random guessing going on in this thread.

If you buy it at Manchester airport, make sure that it's sealed into a compliant STEB (remembering that compliance requires that the receipt is sealed in the bag but is visible). A compliant and intact STEB will be accepted at security at Paris before you onward flight, if you're required to clear security there.

If duty-free at Manchester won't do you a STEB, and you're not sure whether you have to re-clear security in Paris, then don't give them your money. (That, of course, generally gives duty-free shops an incentive to do STEBs properly.)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

I'm really not sure why there's so much random guessing going on in this thread.

If you buy it at Manchester airport, make sure that it's sealed into a compliant STEB (remembering that compliance requires that the receipt is sealed in the bag but is visible). A compliant and intact STEB will be accepted at security at Paris before you onward flight, if you're required to clear security there.

If duty-free at Manchester won't do you a STEB, and you're not sure whether you have to re-clear security in Paris, then don't give them your money. (That, of course, generally gives duty-free shops an incentive to do STEBs properly.)

Thanks, Globaliser! That's what I needed to know!