Confession: I Preferred the Windjammer Over the MDR on Anthem and Other Firsts

teddie

1 minute ago, crzndeb said:

As a solo traveler, I never eat in the MDR for my own personal reasons. So I always eat in the MDR, or other free areas. Although I eat at WJ on all ships I sail, I do think Quantum class is the best. I thought Wonder was also good.

I like being able to control my portions, and always find something I like. I am not a foodie, so I am perfectly happy with the simple things. Love that there is always Indian food.

Yes!  And the special selections on Indian Night were excellent!

Teddie

• Like 1

20 hours ago, teddie said:

My recent Anthem sailing (11/26/2023 - 7 Nights Caribbean/Coco Cay from Cape Liberty) was my 10th RCI cruise, and second on Anthem. but included many firsts:

• The first cruise without my husband--he couldn't get time off from his new job and I went with a good friend instead. It was fun and relaxing, but I still missed him!
  • Only went to one show:  the High C Horns tribute to funk and Stevie Wonder.
  • Played trivia for the first time!  (I aced the Beatles Name That Tune)
  • Had a massage--first time ever! It was very relaxing!
  • First time the internet was truly excellent
  • MDR losing its allure -- only had two dinners there. I just wasn't wowed by the choices or the experience.  Waiters were lovely though.
  • Did not attend the second Formal Night--unheard of for me.
  • First time breakfast in the Solarium Cafe--it had everything I needed for a good hot breakfast.
  • Had most dinners in the Windjammer--Found the experience to be positive for the following reasons: flow of people/layout of the food stations, variety of choices, food temperature, and service.  All very good.

NOT A FIRST: I overpacked.  Again!

Teddie

Fun confessions.  🙂

Re the windjammer, do you think you would feel the same if MDR menus were back to pre-covid variety and quality?  I guess what I'm asking is if you're converted to a WJ person more so now regardless of what the MDR is offering? 

What really interests me about the WJ is the spontaneity and variety.  Would love to go whenever we feel like we're done with our afternoon activities. The way Royal has completely screwed up MTD has also forced our early seating to be way too early...  

What I'm leery of with WJ dinners is missing our quiet family time together.  Maybe we'll just have to bit the bullet and try it sometime

9 minutes ago, teddie said:

Yes!  And the special selections on Indian Night were excellent!

Teddie

Indian night is the one night my wife forbids me from scheduling any specialty dining.  Royal does Indian really well.

If we're not using our BOGO, we always eat in the WJ as well.  On a cruise, for the most part we like eating on our schedule (both the meal time and the pace), not someone else's.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Fun confessions.  🙂

Re the windjammer, do you think you would feel the same if MDR menus were back to pre-covid variety and quality?  I guess what I'm asking is if you're converted to a WJ person more so now regardless of what the MDR is offering? 

What really interests me about the WJ is the spontaneity and variety.  Would love to go whenever we feel like we're done with our afternoon activities. The way Royal has completely screwed up MTD has also forced our early seating to be way too early...  

What I'm leery of with WJ dinners is missing our quiet family time together.  Maybe we'll just have to bit the bullet and try it sometime

These are good questions/observations.  

Over the years, my eating style has changed...I've lost and kept off 50 pounds, and no longer "live to eat" -- unless you are talking the raisin bread at breakfast in the WJ lol.  So there's that.

Seriously, though, prior to the MDR changes, (and before 2 cruises in 2023, our previous cruise was about 7 years before that), I found the MDR to be more like a good restaurant than a catering hall experience.  The set dining hours are either too early or too late for us, hence MTD, which has altered the cruise dining experience forever, at least for us.  Even with a res, there are still choppy wait times and feelings of being rushed. All these changes taken en masse have lead me closer to being a WJ person.  And it surprises the heck out of me!

Teddie

Edited by teddie

I just found the food all around subpar (aside from breakfast and it's hard to mess that up). We added three specialty dining nights on my last WOS. At the windjammer, I could at least not eat what I didn't prefer without having to explain my dislike to servers hovering over me (good service in the MDR, poor food). 

We experienced many empty tables in the MDR for the four nights we went, I also ate quite a bit of pizza after to fill my stomach. Was not impressed. Loved playmakers and specialty dining though!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

We cruised from 1973 to 2019 a majority on RCI ships.We never ate a meal in the Windjammer or any other Buffet .Our preference was always the MDR because we liked the idea of being served and not cafeteria style .

That once was our preference as well.

Teddie

• Like 2

7 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Fun confessions.  🙂

The MDR provides quiet family time? I remember, back to when we actually used the MDR, that is was noisy, dinner was interrupted by photographers, and crew singing and parading around the room.

The WJ is not as quiet as it used to be as it seems like more and more people are giving up the MDR but if you go a bit later in the evening I find it quite nice.

7 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Fun confessions.  🙂

We ate most nights in the WJ on Indy over Thanksgiving week. They turn down the lights, the music is soft and you can sit anywhere as it's never crowded. I love it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Knowing me as I do I would overeat if I ate in a buffet.I have never gained weight on a cruise.

Somehow, I didn't overeat in the WJ.  First I have a salad.  Then I tour the stations to see what's offered and choose protein, veg, and one small "treat" side like a fancy bread roll, pasta, or other carb.  Then I'm full.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, teddie said:

Somehow, I didn't overeat in the WJ.  First I have a salad.  Then I tour the stations to see what's offered and choose protein, veg, and one small "treat" side like a fancy bread roll, pasta, or other carb.  Then I'm full.  

I'm the same way. I actually end up eating less food and healthier food in the windjammer. I can pick and choose whatever I want in whatever quantity I want. Makes it easy to eat healthy.

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, teddie said:

That is very good.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

The MDR provides quiet family time? I remember, back to when we actually used the MDR, that is was noisy, dinner was interrupted by photographers, and crew singing and parading around the room.

Everyone is different. I get enough quiet dinners at home. I love the noise, the singing and the parading. I guess I’m weird lol. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, RedSails1968 said:

Everyone is different. I get enough quiet dinners at home. I love the noise, the singing and the parading. I guess I’m weird lol. 

Totally understand. I just couldn't figure out how the person that I quoted was finding quiet family time in there.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2023 at 8:40 PM, Ocean Boy said:

The WJ is not as quiet as it used to be as it seems like more and more people are giving up the MDR but if you go a bit later in the evening I find it quite nice.

6 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Totally understand. I just couldn't figure out how the person that I quoted was finding quiet family time in there.

Yes, it's been quiet. 

The singing is typically one night, two max.  We don't see as many photographers as we used to, maybe once this past 7 night cruise, and as soon as they arrive to the table we just say "No Thank You" and they disappear.  We also request a table away from the main walkways or main entrance so that helps.

• Like 1