Do all TAs provide OBC?

natshala

Our first VO cruise is coming up in March. We’re planning to book a future cruise onboard and transfer the booking to a TA.

We have never had a TA before. I know they cannot be recommended specifically here.

My question is: when interviewing a prospective TA, is it appropriate to ask a question like “if I book a $20k cruise, what OBC would you provide?”

Or, is the OBC considered some sort of surprise gift? (We’ve always used a big box travel provider who doesn’t book VO.)

Thanks!

Definitely ask.  First question would be how familiar are you with Viking?  Viking regulates how much OBC a TA can offer.  It is based on length of cruise not dollars spent.  $150 pp for 7 night cruise, $300 pp for 14 nights and $500 pp for 15+ nights.  We have an excellent TA.

• Like 2

Another question to ask:  refundable or not (refundable means you will get cash back equal to the remaining OBC either from your travel agent or refunded to your credit card.). Our TA gives the maximum OBC allowed by Viking.  AAA gave us a much lower OBC.

Agree that you should ask. Our agent provides refundable shipboard credit like TanyaLorna’s.  Covers the gratuities and some of the bar bill.  For cruises when we have one or the other already included in the cruise price, we get the unused money back a week or three after the cruise via check. 

• Thanks 1

Some travel agents will also help with the cost of car service to/from the ports, etc.

It's definitely something to ask about in your initial consultation. But, I like to remember these are independent small business people, and they are sharing their compensation with me. Our TA helped with our need to cancel a trip, even though he wasn't going to make a dime on that trip other than the insurance commission.

That means a lot to me.

• Like 2

On a future VO cruise that is 22 nights, I received a total of $1,300 from my TA.  $300 is non-refundable and $1K is refundable.

And while in the past I received a check of the unused OBC from Viking in less than 2 weeks, on the cruise I got off of last month I received a credit to my credit card.  Likely it was due to me prepaying gratuities and silver spirits.  Or not.

I should have added that there is no need to interview a TA as to OBC.

Major agencies  have an on-line presence.  To obtain your business they clearly explain the "benefits" of booking directly with them.  I have transferred my booking to a TA I originally found on-line.  I call their 800# and speak to the same live person and transfer my booking.

Lately, I just transfer the booking without speaking to anyone.

On 12/13/2023 at 9:21 AM, TayanaLorna said:

Definitely ask.  First question would be how familiar are you with Viking?  Viking regulates how much OBC a TA can offer.  It is based on length of cruise not dollars spent.  $150 pp for 7 night cruise, $300 pp for 14 nights and $500 pp for 15+ nights.  We have an excellent TA.

Agreed. Definitely ask. TAs are not required to provide OBC or any other enticement for you to book with them.

When I booked the Australia/New Zealand cruise Viking had a special of 250.00 p/p OBC. Spoke with my T/A yesterday and they gave us as a “gift” of 100.00 OBC and a bottle of wine. I’m thinking since Viking gave us the OBC up front our TA isn’t able to give us the 500.00 for 14 night cruise.

5 hours ago, MikeyB said:

I'm surprised no one has replied to you.

Regardless of what promo from Viking gave you the OBC, many but not all TA's will give you the maximum OBC allowed.  Calling it a "gift" is nonsense.

Thanks for the heads up. Does Viking give the maximum amount to the travel agent as a commission? Maybe that’s why they are only offering 100.00. If not I guess I should find another agent.

2 hours ago, nanamobo said:

Thanks for the heads up. Does Viking give the maximum amount to the travel agent as a commission? Maybe that’s why they are only offering 100.00. If not I guess I should find another agent.

Regardless of what the commission is, there are many fine TA's who rebates the maximum that Viking allows.

In fact, on my upcoming cruise that is 22 nights, I will receive $1K refundable and $300 non-refundable OBC from my TA.  

12 hours ago, MikeyB said:

Regardless of what the commission is, there are many fine TA's who rebates the maximum that Viking allows.

In fact, on my upcoming cruise that is 22 nights, I will receive $1K refundable and $300 non-refundable OBC from my TA.  

Is that for two?  If so the $1000 makes since but not sure how they are getting away with the extra $300. 

12 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Is that for two?  If so the $1000 makes since but not sure how they are getting away with the extra $300. 

Clay-

Discussed and answered previously.  The additional $300 is an occasional promotion.  I have received it twice.  Last time I received it was when I booked onboard last month.  The Viking cruise consultant told me I was getting $300 from my TA.  I said- wait, slow down.  I always received more.  E-mailed my TA.  She said not to worry (Me worry?).  When I received the paperwork from my TA, I received a total of $1,300.

Nice.

10 minutes ago, Azulann said:

The TA I use gives  the cost of the gratuities for each of us no matter what the length of cruise .

So I guess if you are on a World Cruise, you get nothing!

Being reimbursed for the gratuities means you are getting less than what I receive from my TA.

Unless your cruises are 30 days.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Azulann said:

The TA I use gives  the cost of the gratuities for each of us no matter what the length of cruise .

But do they give you more than that?  If not, then it’s likely (unless you’re doing a cruise longer than 27 days) that you aren’t getting the max allowed.  

1 minute ago, Clay Clayton said:

But do they give you more than that?  If not, then it’s likely (unless you’re doing a cruise longer than 27 days) that you aren’t getting the max allowed.  

mmm, our cruises are  15 days or less  and we usually do a Viking  post extension. It is an online agency, and the consultant I used no longer works there. so new one called me and taking over our  2025 cruise, I booked on board  June 23. I think I will ask him  before  I give him the new cruise we will book before Dec 31 with email promotion we received  for past cruisers  had an upcoming cruise scheduled. Can't remember if it had a code or not, but we hope to book a 2025 or 2026 cruise before the end of the year. Thanks Clay 

2 hours ago, Azulann said:

mmm, our cruises are  15 days or less  and we usually do a Viking  post extension. It is an online agency, and the consultant I used no longer works there. so new one called me and taking over our  2025 cruise, I booked on board  June 23. I think I will ask him  before  I give him the new cruise we will book before Dec 31 with email promotion we received  for past cruisers  had an upcoming cruise scheduled. Can't remember if it had a code or not, but we hope to book a 2025 or 2026 cruise before the end of the year. Thanks Clay 

Be aware that final payment for 2026 for that promotion is Nov 30, 2024!  We also discovered that you cannot change sailing date without cancellation and loss of your deposit.

2 minutes ago, PRH said:

Be aware that final payment for 2026 for that promotion is Nov 30, 2024!  We also discovered that you cannot change sailing date without cancellation and loss of your deposit.

Thanks so much for the heads up about that particular promotion. Good to know before I call Viking . BTW, I still have great memories about our TA cruise on the Viking Sea over Easter . Merry Christmas to you and your husband 🎄

• Like 1