Cheap place to stay in Honolulu for April cruise?

fstuff1

2 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

Solo male

Going on ncl pride of America.

Coming in a day early from DC area.

Suggestions for a cheap hotel between airport and cruise terminal?

Or should I (finally) try AirBnb?

1) Re-post in the Hawaii Forum

2) State your budget in U.S. dollars

3) Stay in Waikiki NOT between the airport and cruise terminal

6 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

Solo male

Going on ncl pride of America.

Coming in a day early from DC area.

Thx

Hello @fstuff1

Your new thread has been moved to the correct forum. The majority of your fellow Cruise Critic members that live in Hawaii or have sailed from there frequent this forum and provide feedback here. 

Hope this will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! 

Happy sails,

Host Kat

We are also from the DC area.  Cheap and Honolulu do not go together (although there are inexpensive souvenirs in the Walmart). We stayed at the HIlton Beach Resort on one end of the cruise.  Not cheap and crowded.  On the other end we stayed at the Ala Moana.  Nice place.  If looking for "cheap" I would recommend looking at one of the booking sites and then read reviews.  We flew from BWI with a change in Vegas.  It was a lonnnnng trip each way.

The area "between the airport and port" is not a very good one, nor does it offer a lot of places to stay. No matter what, you will need to pay for a cab or rideshare to the port from your hotel. 

Best Western the Plaza is near the airport and has a free breakfast. It might have a free airport shuttle, but I'm not sure. There is nothing really near the hotel and it's not a great area to walk around. But it's pretty cheap for Honolulu.

If I were young and budget-minded, I would stay at the https://thebeachwaikikihostel.com/ . If you don't mind being in a dorm room type thing, it's about $45 a night, which isn't bad for being less than half a mile from Kuhio Beach in Waikiki. 

On 12/13/2023 at 7:18 PM, fstuff1 said:

As others have said, I would just bite the bullet and stay in the cheapest place you can find in Waikiki. You're going to have to get there anyway to board POA so transport costs wont be a deciding issue since you'll have to pay them regardless. The area by the airport doesn't have the usual array of hotels due to I'm sure the airports proximity to downtown and Waikiki. The area in between is industrial with little to no hotels. 

On 12/13/2023 at 7:18 PM, fstuff1 said:

AirBNB has been dogged for years by regulation in Hawaii. There are a handful of ones in the resort area (a lot of which can be booked directly with a little research) and a few that are grandfathered in outside of the resort area. Otherwise an AirBNB has a minimum stay of 30 nights on Oahu so wouldn't be a viable option for you. 

Just because it shows availability on the AirBNB website doesn't mean that the booking is legal and Honolulu has been cracking down heavily. 

We stayed at the Ohia Waikiki Suites a couple of years ago and it was OK and affordable.  We will be tin Honolulu again in a few days and needed a hotel for a couple of nights at the end of a cruise.  This time we will be there during holiday time, so it is more expensive, about $175 a night, the cheapest OK place we could find.  I'll report back if it has gone downhill.

In Waikiki, in no order, look at the Outrigger Waikiki Beachcomber, White Sands, Hotel Ilima, Waikiki Central Hotel, Aqua Aloha Surf, Bamboo Waikiki and Waikiki Grand Hotel.

You should also check the major chains, Marriott, Hilton and Hyatt. They all have multiple hotels in Waikiki in various price ranges and sometimes using Costco Travel or Hotels.com, etc, you can get great rates.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Holiday inn express in Waikiki is a good price for Waikiki area and very adequate. Easy taxi ride from airport. Within walking distance of everything around there and has a fantastic free breakfast. We did Diamond Head and Waikiki beach on our day before cruise. Ubered to cruise port morning of cruise, easy peasy. 

Edited by philv