MDR Table Privacy

Zekee

I always choose anytime dining and the MDR’s for anytime dining always have tables inches away from the next table.

Are the tables in the set time MDR’s the same? I’d be willing to give up anytime dining and just have a set time if it meant having more than a few inches of distance. 

It's the luck of the draw, I don't see why set dining would be any different, and you run the risk of getting permanently seated at a large table with 8 other passengers.

We are a party of 2, and we have often gotten booths to ourselves in the MDR.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zekee said:

I always choose anytime dining and the MDR’s for anytime dining always have tables inches away from the next table.

Are the tables in the set time MDR’s the same? I’d be willing to give up anytime dining and just have a set time if it meant having more than a few inches of distance. 

This works for me 100 percent of the time. Book Spirit class ship, choose anytime dining, then request booth seating when I show up to the MDR.

• Thanks 2

We’ve had great luck with privacy during My Time Dining, going early (5:30-6:00) & asking to sit along the railing overlooking the downstairs dining room.  This only works if there is a 2 level dining room, of course.

• Like 5

I booked the Early Seating instead of anytime last cruise and went to the dining room after we boarded to find our table, it was a table for 6. I went to the dining room as soon as it it opened and switched to Anytime. The hubby and I don’t like how close they sit us to other tables either but Early Dining was a total fail. Not sure if I want to try again or not. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, lasekeye said:

We’ve had great luck with privacy during My Time Dining, going early (5:30-6:00) & asking to sit along the railing overlooking the downstairs dining room.  This only works if there is a 2 level dining room, of course.

They assign you a table on the app, do you ask for the different table at the desk when you arrive? 

6 hours ago, LaRue1975 said:

They assign you a table on the app, do you ask for the different table at the desk when you arrive? 

You certainly can. Or you can just check-in at the front of the restaurant to begin with if you prefer.

• Like 2

OP, the risk associated with Fixed Dining for a party of 2 is being assigned to a large table with folks who might or might not be a good fit for you. As @mz-ssaid, the YTD hostesses will do what they can to accommodate you, within reason. Obviously everyone can't have a perfect table for 2 next to the window.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Last time we had assigned dinning we were a two top in the middle of two four tops. Might as well have been a table for 10. We were fortunate, as both groups were lovely people and we had them all ordering banana splits by the end of the week. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, mz-s said:

You certainly can. Or you can just check-in at the front of the restaurant to begin with if you prefer.

I tried checking in with the hostess rather than with the ap and was told that was no longer an option - you had to check in with the ap.  Not sure how that works with people who don't have a smart phone.  Perhaps that's the way to go if you want a booth - just say you don't have a smart phone.  The only problem with that is having to go to the hostess for a table throughout the rest of the cruise.  Seems like that would take a lot more time each night.

14 minutes ago, sc4125 said:

I tried checking in with the hostess rather than with the ap and was told that was no longer an option - you had to check in with the ap.  Not sure how that works with people who don't have a smart phone.  Perhaps that's the way to go if you want a booth - just say you don't have a smart phone.  The only problem with that is having to go to the hostess for a table throughout the rest of the cruise.  Seems like that would take a lot more time each night.

On my last cruise in September, they had several hostesses standing out front of the restaurant with tablets able to help check in.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, mz-s said:

But I always make fun of the people waiting in line and clogging up the entrance to the dining room. 😜 I might just try it myself now that I know why. We are with a big group for our New Years cruise so it won’t be a problem and the next one is the Celebration with lots of dining options. It’s not a big deal to me but I have a hard enough time getting hubby to the MDR, he hates all the waiting around between courses which is probably worse in Anytime. 

21 minutes ago, LaRue1975 said:

But I always make fun of the people waiting in line and clogging up the entrance to the dining room. 😜 I might just try it myself now that I know why. We are with a big group for our New Years cruise so it won’t be a problem and the next one is the Celebration with lots of dining options. It’s not a big deal to me but I have a hard enough time getting hubby to the MDR, he hates all the waiting around between courses which is probably worse in Anytime. 

Go to the left hand side of the entrance to check-in or speak to the check-in desk. The right hand side of the entrance is for when you have an assigned table.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Zekee said:

The table are ridiculously close together.  On an elegant night we were shown to a table with just a few inches clearance on either side.  I had on a full skirt and actually dragged a woman's  plate across the table when I was trying to get seated.  She was irate and I was terribly embarrassed. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Butterbean1000 said:

The table are ridiculously close together.  On an elegant night we were shown to a table with just a few inches clearance on either side.  I had on a full skirt and actually dragged a woman's  plate across the table when I was trying to get seated.  She was irate and I was terribly embarrassed. 

Oh my gosh, that’s horrible! It also 100% sounds like something that would happen to me. 🤦🏼‍♀️

3 hours ago, Butterbean1000 said:

Sorry this happened to you. 

Did you manage to stay for the whole dinner? I’m hoping they were on their last course as you were being seated. 

We don’t like how close the tables for two are either. It has the propensity to be awkward. 😂

We like to check out the MDR on embarkation day, to scout for two-tops that are relatively more private, or booths. We take note of the table numbers. After we check in on the app, if we have been given one of these tables, great.  If not, then we try to ask the hostess for something a bit more private. It works for us. 
On elegant night though, we just take what we get to avoid crowding at the entrance. 
🛳️ 🍽️ 🎉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, jemrtt said:

Sorry this happened to you. 

Did you manage to stay for the whole dinner? I’m hoping they were on their last course as you were being seated. 

We did stay for the entire meal.  Awkward! I apologized, of coursed, but she was having none of it.  I am not a big person, but I did have on a full skirt.  There was simply not enough room between tables.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

We did stay for the entire meal.  Awkward! I apologized, of coursed, but she was having none of it.  I am not a big person, but I did have on a full skirt.  There was simply not enough room between tables.

Wow! Well, you tried.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone. Yeah I understand they want to save space and all that in the restaurant, but if someone is going to spit in my food when they talk to me because they are so close to me, I’d rather it be someone I know. Lol. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, jemrtt said:

We don’t like how close the tables for two are either. It has the propensity to be awkward. 😂

We like to check out the MDR on embarkation day, to scout for two-tops that are relatively more private, or booths. We take note of the table numbers. After we check in on the app, if we have been given one of these tables, great.  If not, then we try to ask the hostess for something a bit more private. It works for us. 
On elegant night though, we just take what we get to avoid crowding at the entrance. 
🛳️ 🍽️ 🎉

Another great idea, I am definitely going to try it next time, thanks! 

13 hours ago, roguebandit1441 said:

We are actually the opposite of everyone else I guess, we like large tables with a lot of new friends to talk to. My joke is I've been married for over 32 years and don't have anything new to talk about with the wife.

We've been married 46 years, so even less new to speak with her. I used to like large tables and meeting new people, but now my hearing is shot which makes carrying on a conversation difficult.