Does Lobster Night still exist?

ChicagoCruiser2007

The sailing must be 7 nights or more for them to serve lobster.  One tail for free, additional fee for additional tails if in the MDR.  They serve the inferior Spiny/Caribbean species, not the superior Maine species that ironically both Carnival and RCI serve

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, ChicagoCruiser2007 said:

Just wondering if there's still one particular night (in this case a 7-day cruise on Ascent) that lobster is served?  Want to be sure I don't make a specialty restaurant reservation on that night!

Thanks!

Yes. Very good. We were offered a second (no charge) on our recent Eclipse cruise. We  both declined as we also split a steak. Surf n Turf. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChicagoCruiser2007 said:

thanks for sharing this info.  I will be on a 7-night in AQ so hopefully I'll have the lobster option. disappointing though it's not Maine lobster. 😞

In 28 X cruises, have not had Maine lobster.  Australia?  yes.  Florida? yes.  (We vacation in Maine primarily for the lobster!  😁)

On 12/19/2023 at 8:10 PM, ChicagoCruiser2007 said:

Hopefully it’s still tasty! 🙂 I’m spoiled by Maine lobster! 🦞 

It is Spiny/Rock Lobster tail, not Maine cold water (real) lobster with claws.  The Spiny (or Caribbean) lobster is actually a large crawfish and is not even in the lobster family.  But some people are just fine with it and look forward to it.  But definitely not a Maine lobster if that is what you are expecting.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2023 at 4:01 PM, serene56 said:

53 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

It is Spiny/Rock Lobster tail, not Maine cold water (real) lobster with claws.  The Spiny (or Caribbean) lobster is actually a large crawfish and is not even in the lobster family.  But some people are just fine with it and look forward to it.  But definitely not a Maine lobster if that is what you are expecting.

I don't eat lobster on a cruise ship because where I live it is so much better and dirt cheap. Here's what I eat for less than $16 (tax and tip extra) and it includes sides and a salad bar. Water view too!

IMG_3134.thumb.jpeg.3abdc2200f784d12c2cc6aaf7223af26.jpeg

It is controversial but the most desirable Maine lobster are called Shedders - they have a soft shell having shedded their old hard shell to grow. They are delicate/fragile and do not typically survive shipping - so the shipping companies do not ship them. The best lobsters are from restaurants on the coast or tidal river. The lobsters are kept in the ocean water until just before cooking. Inland restaurants keep the lobsters in a lobster tank ( aka "fish tank") and they just are not as good. 

On 12/18/2023 at 8:48 AM, serene56 said:

guess I will not have a 2nd chic night.     On a 6 night Reflection.   No lobster for me. 

I just got back from a six night cruise on Reflection. They served Lobster on night 5, the last sea day.  Dress code was Elegant Chic.

37 minutes ago, CruiseRQA said:

Around here we have always had our beer snobs, wine snobs and whisk(e)y snobs.

I guess we will have to add a new category:  Lobster Snobs!!

(For you sensitive ones, I am just kidding!)

And what about the move up snobs! 

We really enjoyed the lobster tail on the Flora in November. It was huge, neither of us could finish ours. We were B2B and they asked us what we wanted for lunch on turn-around day, we were the only B2B passengers so the buffet would not be open. Since the previous night was lobster night we asked if they had leftovers, we wound enjoy a lobster salad sandwich. They obliged and it was huge as well! We highly recommend the Flora (& Machu Picchu).

PXL_20231112_170902219.jpg

PXL_20231119_012238321.jpg

2 hours ago, dreamer321 said:

I just got back from a six night cruise on Reflection. They served Lobster on night 5, the last sea day.  Dress code was Elegant Chic.

Our last day is a port day but I see it on Thursday which is a sea day 4