Sunday December 17th, 2023 -- The Fleet Report and Daily

richwmn

Today is Canadian Maple Syrup Day, National Ugly Sweater Day, and Wright Brother's Day

Good friends, good books, and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life.--Mark Twain

Meal Suggestion for today - Easy Roast Lamb with Vegetables
Drink of the Day - Front Porch Peach Tea
Wine of the Day - 2020 Amity Vineyards Willamette Valley white Pinot Noir
Destination of the Day - Ocho Rios, Jamaica

Today in History:
1903 The Wright brothers make the 1st sustained motorized aircraft flight at 10:35 AM, piloted by Orville Wright at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina
1986 Mrs Davina Thompson makes medical history by having the 1st heart, lung & liver transplant at Papworth Hospital in Cambridge, England

Ship Locations

Eurodam

St Thomas Island USVI, Charlotte Amalie, US Virgin Islands 08:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Mexico eta 12-18

Nieuw Amsterdam

Freeport, Bahamas Dry Dock

Nieuw Statendam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 7:00-15:00

Oosterdam

Buenos Aires, Argentina - 19:00

Rotterdam

Grand Turk, Turks and Caicos

Volendam

Topolobampo, Baja California Mexico 04:00 - 23:00

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida eta 12-19

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination San Juan, Puerto Rico eta 12-19

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

At Sea Destination Sydney, NSW Australia eta 12-20

Westerdam

Semarang, Java Indonesia 09:00 - 18:00

1217World.thumb.png.a19932861629c02a0a7ec20d2e68ff1f.png

• Like 20
  • Thanks 21

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, on CPAP

Kazu’s DBIL’s DM with pancreatitis

Cruzin Terri with + skin biopsies and PMR not well controlled

Marshhawk’s DH Chuck not feeling well

Passing of Niagarwine’s FIL 12/13

JazzyV with right leg pain, tingling and numbness

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

57Redbird recovering from spinal fusion surgery, with some issues

StLouisCruiser’s DB with pulmonary fibrosis

Mamaofami’s extensive dental work

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Bon Voyage Seagarsmoker!

Bon Voyage Petunia1950!

Welcome home RedNeckBob!

Welcome home LAFFNVEGAS!

Welcome home DobieMom!

Welcome home POA1!

Cruising sister’s g-niece Murphy extubated, and on CPAP 

Lady Hudson’s DH Bill with good report from doctor/good bloodwork results

Aliaschief visiting DD for her and DGD’s birthdays

RMLincoln in TX for granddaughter’s wedding

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

2 days for St Pete Cruiser (Zaandam Dec 19 to Jan 4, Southern Caribbean Holiday)

4 days for Haljo1935 (Koningsdam Dec 21 to Jan 6, Circle Hawaii Holiday)

5 days for Richwmn (Volendam Dec 22 to April 21) 12d Mexico & Sea of Cortez Holiday + Jan 6 94d Grand Australia & NZ Voyage + Apr 6 15d PC Cruise

5 days for Nickelpenny (Zuiderdam Dec 22 to Jan 3) 12d Panama Canal Sunfarer Holiday

Suslor (Rottendam to Dec 22, Eastern Caribbean), Crazy For Cats (Rotterdam to Dec 22, Eastern Caribbean), Seagarsmoker (Nieuw Statendam to Dec 27, Southern Caribbean), Petunia1950 (Nieuw Statendam to Dec 27, Southern Caribbean), Ichiban Nekko (Rotterdam to Jan 5, B2B, 7d Eastern Caribbean + 14d Western/Tropical Caribbean), Av8rix (Koningsdam to Jan 6, 5n Mexico + 16n Circle Hawaii Holiday), and Seasick Sailor (Rotterdam to Jan 14, 51d B2B2B2B Eastern/Western Caribbean (14n) + Tropical/Southern Caribbean Seafarer (16n))

• Like 20
  • Thanks 20

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Cool and wet here today, chance of rain, no snow. 

We'll have Canadian maple syrup on our pancakes later this morning.  I don't have any ugly sweaters.  Hooray for the Wright brothers.

I like the quote.

I'll pass on the meal, but I'm sure I'll like the drink and the wine.

I've never been to Jamaica.

Prayers for so many.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful Sunday.  Stay safe.

• Like 30

Well, all good things must come to an end. We missed HMC yesterday because of the weather but DM and I weren’t planning on getting off the ship. DS and her DH had a shorex that was refunded. Our port fees were returned. 

The plan is to have breakfast in the CO dining room, then find our luggage, take the hotel shuttle back to get the truck, pack everything into the truck, and drive to Jacksonville. I’m continuing my vacation by spending a few days with my DM, DS, and her DH at their house. DM and I will fly to CA early Wed morning. 

Haven’t had time to read the FR & D. Hope everyone is doing well. I hope to catch up by Christmas. Take care!

• Like 32

Good morning Daily-ites. 

Dear Graham and Pauline, I'm so saddened by the news of both Pauline's friend in pain post surgery and her friends mam passing. 

It was another bumpy ride on the beautiful Rotterdam last night. 

We've arrived in Grand Turk and I see a sliver of sunshine.

If the weather holds we may rent a golf cart and drive up to the lighthouse. See and feed the gaggle of donkeys hoping for a carrot.

My prayers go out to all those on Vanessa's care list, Sandi's list, and mine. I pray for all the worn torn innocents who are suffering, especially Israel, Ukraine, Gaza. 

We met a man last night that just returned from Maui to see his son and DIL. He was sickened by the sight of Lahaina town. Still have residents who lost homes, jobs and no where to go.

Last night I forgot to mention on Gala night the people wanting to get in the dining room with torn t-shirts, shorts, and a couple wearing matching Santa pajama pants. Luckily, our Maitre d had other plans for them..

If the weather holds up we will join the masses at Seaview for cocktails at sail away. (2:30)

Blessings to you on this Sunday morning. 

• Like 28
  • Thanks 3

Good morning friends!  Here where I live it's 45F with cloudy skies.  Temp will rise as high as 58 and remain cloudy.  I suppose there is a chance of some rain since there is a monsoon moving up the coast of Florida and Georgia into South Carolina right now.  My words, not the weather channel!  We are on the edge of that rain.  Feeling very sorry for @seagarsmoker since he and DW were driving down to Florida today, weren't they? Apologies if I have my days mixed up.  Thanks Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Report and Daily.  Hopefully you're on the edge of it too up in Athens.⛈️

Let's celebrate Canadian maple syrup and the Wright Brothers today!  I have a feeling ugly sweater day was a couple of days ago and I'm happy to see it gone.  They even had a Hallmark Christmas movie with that theme this week!  I like the quote and I suppose I could go for the roast lamb with vegetables.  Front porch peach tea (without alcohol) is my go-to beverage and what I drink when neighbor Brenda and I have our "coffee klatches" on my front porch.  If there is such a thing as white pinot noir I would give it a try.  Both the days in history were great moments in time.  Thanks to our friends Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for your reports today!

Prayers will be said for our Care list from the Daily ASAP, and lets not forget those at war, the hostages held and our military under attack as well.  Also for me personally my DB and close friends with health problems to face.  Prayers also for Graham @grapau27 and Pauline @Paw13's friend and the loss of her DM.  🙏 We especially pray for Vanessa @JazzyV with such horrible pain issues and practically no sleep at all these past months.🙏  Meanwhile we should not forget everyone with cruises and happy events to celebrate! 🥂  Bon voyage to @seagarsmoker and @Petunia1950!  🚢  Thanks to Vanessa @JazzyV for getting the list done each day during all the turmoil in her life.  We appreciate you so much!❤️

The port this morning is Ocho Rios, Jamaica.  The last two times we had it here was Nov. 25, 2021 and March 4, 2022.  I spent literally an hour or two last night searching for March 4, 2022 on the Holland America section of CC.  Someone had asked a question at the end of that topic 6 months later so I found it in the September 2022 section.  They did not get an answer!  Maybe it's a good thing to lock the Daily the following day, if only for my sanity!  Here are the links:

Searching on CC does not work for me.  I tried that numerous times!  We visited Ocho Rios on December 14, 2022 so just over a year ago, but it wasn't a big deal for us.  A quick on and off the ship.  Jamaica is definitely not a favorite island to visit!

Hoping you all have a very nice day.  Please be careful out there and stay safe and well!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 6

Good Morning from the Rotterdam,  is a beautiful morning and we are docked in Grand Turk.  It feels nice, the sun is shining,  there is a wind but fir the moment no rocking of the ship.  That should give DH some relief. 

Dinner in the PG last night was very good. All mariner credits were properly applied yesterday do I'm pleased with that outcome.

After breakfast we will get off the ship and look around. 

I hope everyone has a nice day today. 

20231217_064457.thumb.jpg.8dd4de0d40dbc7aa5b877b598ca343f2.jpg

20231217_064509.thumb.jpg.7b17b5a2f1a6423a239318ea7cec2623.jpg

• Like 33
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon.

It is 52°F,windy and sunny.

Pauline's friend who she was helping yesterday after she had just got out of hospital after a strangulated hernia repair her mam died last night aged 88 with a similar strangulated hernia which was inoperable.

Thank you for today's daily reports.

3 good days and excellent quote.

Today's food sounds good.

I hope everyone has a happy day and you all make the most of every day.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 12

10 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Daily-ites. 

Dear Graham and Pauline, I'm so saddened by the news of both Pauline's friend in pain post surgery and her friends mam passing. 

It was another bumpy ride on the beautiful Rotterdam last night. 

We've arrived in Grand Turk and I see a sliver of sunshine.

If the weather holds we may rent a golf cart and drive up to the lighthouse. See and feed the gaggle of donkeys hoping for a carrot.

My prayers go out to all those on Vanessa's care list, Sandi's list, and mine. I pray for all the worn torn innocents who are suffering, especially Israel, Ukraine, Gaza. 

We met a man last night that just returned from Maui to see his son and DIL. He was sickened by the sight of Lahaina town. Still have residents who lost homes, jobs and no where to go.

Last night I forgot to mention on Gala night the people wanting to get in the dining room with torn t-shirts, shorts, and a couple wearing matching Santa pajama pants. Luckily, our Maitre d had other plans for them..

If the weather holds up we will join the masses at Seaview for cocktails at sail away. (2:30)

Blessings to you on this Sunday morning. 

Thank you Joy for your kindness.

Her friend who works with Pauline is lovely and her family left her to do all of the work caring for her mam with dementia.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

As I said before we visited Ocho Rios, Jamaica at the end of our Amazon River cruise, last year on Dec. 14.  We were originally scheduled to stop at Falmouth, Jamaica but were moved to Ocho Rios instead.  We got off the ship and took a short walk so I can show you photos taken that day.  We did no sightseeing or shopping that day.  It looked pretty from the ship!

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

This is the walkway we used to get from our dock to the shoreline.

Once on shore we saw the vendors lined up selling their souvenirs.

At the end of this lot was the gate we had to pass through to get onto the city streets.  No one was allowed in to harass us here.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

Outside the gates it looked safe enough but we would be continually asked if we wanted a tour out there.  At least no one offered us drugs!

So it was time to head back to the Volendam.  We saw this boat from the ship and I wondered if it was a party boat or some type of tour boat.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

That is all for us!  I can say I've been there but that's about all.  In 2004 we went to Montego Bay and that was even worse with lots of drug people on the streets.  I took no photos that day!

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 6

6 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

As I said before we visited Ocho Rios, Jamaica at the end of our Amazon River cruise, last year on Dec. 14.  We were originally scheduled to stop at Falmouth, Jamaica but were moved to Ocho Rios instead.  We got off the ship and took a short walk so I can show you photos taken that day.  We did no sightseeing or shopping that day.  It looked pretty from the ship!

This is the walkway we used to get from our dock to the shoreline.

Once on shore we saw the vendors lined up selling their souvenirs.

At the end of this lot was the gate we had to pass through to get onto the city streets.  No one was allowed in to harass us here.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

Outside the gates it looked safe enough but we would be continually asked if we wanted a tour out there.  At least no one offered us drugs!

So it was time to head back to the Volendam.  We saw this boat from the ship and I wondered if it was a party boat or some type of tour boat.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

That is all for us!  I can say I've been there but that's about all.  In 2004 we went to Montego Bay and that was even worse with lots of drug people on the streets.  I took no photos that day!

Thank you for your photos and advice/warning on Ocho Rio's and Montego bay Sandi 

• Like 12

1 minute ago, smitty34877 said:

@grapau27, Graham and Pauline, I am sending my condolences to you both for the death of her friend’s mam and to their families. It sounds as if Pauline’s friend had her hands full with her own surgery. I find that sometimes everything can happen at once in life.

Thank you Terri.

Her friend was in lots of pain yesterday.

I gave her husband a lift to drop off Christmas presents.

He has only been out of hospital 2 weeks after total knee replacement surgery.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! My part of Florida got lists of rain and though it was windy, we only had brief periods of intense winds. Hope my fellow Floridians are all well. This morning it is still windy, but no rain - yet. I am sure my drive to the gym will be interesting. 

IMG_2218.jpeg.c9ff2449949fe12d8f3878c49a5af2a9.jpeg

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with all of us. Praying that your meeting the neurosurgeon finds a path to permanent pain relief and great night sleeps.

Gym, Aldi, branch patrol, Bindi walks, and dinner at a friend’s. If weather permits, we will walk around a local town center that does an amazing light display with donations supporting a local charity.

IMG_2212.jpeg.4b41721b9e6756b2e0e02cfeb978f7c6.jpeg

IMG_2210.jpeg.6ec38eed443e64d09a94755c7b67871f.jpeg

IMG_2215.jpeg.c48d770957cc8e3558fc5b4c0dac8169.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Especially those suffering from debilitating pain & conditions and grieving losses of loved ones. @bennybear Brenda thank you for yesterday’s amazing post❤️
@smitty34877Thinking of you & Tana, Terry. 
@grapau27 Graham, my condolences to you and Pauline. Bless you both for helping your friends. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. 

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

2021 Amity Vineyards Willamette Valley white Pinot Noir

Yes, @StLouisCruisers Sandi white Pinot Noirs are real! I took some liberties with the vintage & used the 2021 vintage instead of the 2020. I found much more info on this vintage. I have enjoyed this white Pinot noir. An interesting concept, but it shares a great many attributes as its red cousin. Thousands of consumers give it an excellent- superb rating. The one critic review I found rated it very good. I found a decent number of distributors with prices starting at $18.99.

Winemaker Notes

The Amity White Pinot Noir was sourced from a mix of vineyards located predominately in the Eola-Amity Hills AVA of the Willamette Valley. The fruit was picked in the cool early morning and gently pressed to minimize color and tannin extraction yet provide the subtle layers of tart and juicy fruit. After settling for 24 hours, the juice is cleanly racked and fermented in a stainless-steel tank. We age this wine sur lie to create generous yet soft texture, and provide balance to its mouthwatering finish.

89 Wine Enthusiast 

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 10
  • Haha 3

Front Porch Peach Tea cocktail:

Ingredients
3/4 part DeKuyper® Peachtree® Schnapps Liqueur
4 parts Iced Tea
1 1/4 parts Jim Beam Black®
Garnish with Lemon Wedges

Instructions
Build ingredients in order listed over ice in a tall highball glass. Garnish with lemon wedge.

Screenshot 2023-12-17 at 7.23.12 AM.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 11

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Terri.

Her friend was in lots of pain yesterday.

I gave her husband a lift to drop off Christmas presents.

He has only been out of hospital 2 weeks after total knee replacement surgery.

Graham, that's incredible how many major events can happen in one family, all at the same time like Terry @smitty34877 said!  As I said on yesterday's Daily this morning when I read of the DM's death, I am so sorry to hear of your and Pauline's friends' mam passing and of the pain she is suffering from.  It is so nice of Pauline to help her out and for you to assist the husband after his knee replacement surgery.  You are wonderful friends to them!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie.  Hugs out to Pauline and her DF.  Safe travels to all those embarking and disembarking today and Bon Voyage to @seagarsmoker and @Petunia1950.

image.thumb.png.b8798588767ff75145c59818

I hope my sweaters are not too ugly.  One of my late cousins made a lot of Maple Syrup in Quebec just South of Montreal.  As a  boy I tapped a few maple trees boiling a bit of sap down to a very thick syrup that became a tasty candy when poured over fresh snow.

I'm hesitant about the sleepy conscience part of Twain's quote.

I visited Ocho Rios once on the Crystal Symphony in 2016,  The port is garbage and really requires a tour.  I found Dunn's River Falls pretty interesting.

The meal sounds nice.  My alternative is Sliced Orange and Watermelon Salsa, Filet of Beef Brioche, and Dutch Apple Cake as served on MS Prinsendam December 17, 2013.

Heavy rain coming but I hope I can get to church and back before it's too bad.

Roy

• Like 33
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Graham, that's incredible how many major events can happen in one family, all at the same time like Terry @smitty34877 said!  As I said on yesterday's Daily this morning when I read of the DM's death, I am so sorry to hear of your and Pauline's friends' mam passing and of the pain she is suffering from.  It is so nice of Pauline to help her out and for you to assist the husband after his knee replacement surgery.  You are wonderful friends to them!

Thank you Sandi.

Her friend was very supportive of Pauline when Paulines mam died 5 years ago with Dementia as were lots of her other dear friends

We always try our best to be there and help friends and family.

• Like 17

4 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie.  Hugs out to Pauline and her DF.  Safe travels to all those embarking and disembarking today and Bon Voyage to @seagarsmoker and @Petunia1950.

image.thumb.png.b8798588767ff75145c59818

I hope my sweaters are not too ugly.  One of my late cousins made a lot of Maple Syrup in Quebec just South of Montreal.  As a  boy I tapped a few maple trees boiling a bit of sap down to a very thick syrup that became a tasty candy when poured over fresh snow.

I'm hesitant about the sleepy conscience part of Twain's quote.

I visited Ocho Rios once on the Crystal Symphony in 2016,  The port is garbage and really requires a tour.  I found Dunn's River Falls pretty interesting.

The meal sounds nice.  My alternative is Sliced Orange and Watermelon Salsa, Filet of Beef Brioche, and Dutch Apple Cake as served on MS Prinsendam December 17, 2013.

Heavy rain coming but I hope I can get to church and back before it's too bad.

Roy

Thank you Roy.

Your words are gratefully appreciated.

Best wishes from us both.

• Like 14

Good morning,

We took a drive and saw Xmas lights last night. It is sure nice to have the car with the third row seat. We fit in nicely. DGS spent the night. DGD wanted to but I was to tired and I know she would not stay all night. I told her once she could sleep in her own bed all night she could have a sleepover. I am sure that will take awhile. 

Graham that poor family! They are both physically and emotionally stressed right now. Many prayers for them. 

I am a bit concerned my luggage shows that it has not moved. Hopefully that means they just have not scanned it on its journey. I may call and see what’s up. 

Have a great day and be safe in the storms in the south. 

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1