Black Evening dress??

sseibert3

Hi All - 

My DW and I, are again on the Eurodom Early January and have only enjoyed a few other cruises. 

What is an appropriate Black Dress for women of the beautiful age of 70?   I guess this is a strange topic for a man to ask - - However, we  have not needed this type of clothing in our previous lives - we traveled Full-Time for 8 years in our 42' Diesel pusher pulling our Jeep.

Any way, she would wear it to the MDR, Tamarind, maybe to a piano bar.  Nothing really fancy - Traditional.  

Thanks in advance,  🙂

Scott

A plain, simple, "little black dress" is always appropriate.  It can be dressed up or down depending on what you accessorize it with.  Jewelry, scarves, shawls, shoes, can all change how the dress looks.  My last cruise I took one black dress (very simple style) and wore it several times. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sseibert3 said:

What is an appropriate Black Dress for women of the beautiful age of 70?   I guess this is a strange topic for a man to ask - - 

Any way, she would wear it to the MDR, Tamarind, maybe to a piano bar.  Nothing really fancy - Traditional.  

Scott -- I think it's lovely that you are reaching out for your bride!

May I suggest you shop in a couple of Houston's department stores. Maybe Dillard's and Macy's? For some ideas at least. The real answer is Something She Is Comfortable In! -- Nothing she has to tug at, for example. She should think about neckline, sleeves, length of gown (maxi/midi/knee), and perhaps about what shoe might be necessary. 

Also, a "LBD", doesn't have to be BLACK! Some ladies look better in a different plain color, especially as we age. Black without a scarf, can suck the color out of my face, for example. 

Remember to have photos taken! Let the ship's photographer(s) take plenty (I've heard they get paid by the shot, not the sale), then wait for them to be posted to pick out the best!

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 1

It's not the major dressing up anymore if she doesn't want.  Like Crystalspin said, a "little black dress" is just fine.  I have a what I call my Little Black Traveling Tshirt Dress.  It's a nice lightweight 4-season wool dress tailored like a Tshirt (basic short sleeve thing).  It's what I take everywhere, New York, on the Eurodam (twice), Europe, to Michelin-starred restaurants, to Andrea Bocelli concerts.  I "dress it up" with jewelry or a scarf or even a belt, depending on where I'm going.  

• Like 1

Thanks all for your input.

We will be stopping by Dillards, Macys and Nordstrom tomorrow.

This upcoming cruise will be the start of our 50th Anniversary year.  We are also doing an 11 night in the Mediterranean and then a short one the following Dec. from Galveston.   

Thanks again,

Scott 

• Like 6

A 50th Anniversary YEAR!  Clever, I'm happy for you both.  I'd not be buying any 'evening gown' for a cruise ... too foo-foo and usually only worn once.  I'd use the money for a nice piece of jewelry.  I'm with 'the girls' above, but I do black silk pants and tunic top with all those accessories.  They raised a good point about color ... if black isn't her best color, by all means make another choice.  Congratulations, and have a wonderful year!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sseibert3 said:

We will be stopping by Dillards, Macys and Nordstrom tomorrow.

This upcoming cruise will be the start of our 50th Anniversary year.  We are also doing an 11 night in the Mediterranean and then a short one the following Dec. from Galveston.   

Thanks again,

Scott 

We did our 50th anniversary year in 2019. I’m not a dress person. I’m more comfortable in nice dress slacks & sparkly tops. I’d suggest going to a Chicos. Their holiday outfits (especially tops are outstanding this year (& on sale right now)

congratulations on the upcoming celebrations!!!

Edited by awhfy
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, sseibert3 said:

What is an appropriate Black Dress for women of the beautiful age of 70? 

First, note that she can dress up or down as much as she pleases ... she won't fail to fit in.  True formal is pretty much gone; she will be appropriately dressed in anything from a cocktail dress (long or short) to a simple sundress. 

Then I'd ask her to think through her specific needs /wants.  Is she comfortable showing her legs?  arms?  cleavage?  Does she want to wear heels?  Does she fear being cold /want more coverage?  She should think through these things before she goes out to the shops.  

Ask her not to limit herself to black.  It seems about 80% of the ladies on any given formal night are wearing black.  How incredibly dull.  God gave us color, and I like to wear all those lovely shades. 

As for where to buy ... I buy most of my clothes from resale shops or ebay.  I do this partially because I'm stingy with a dollar and partially because I don't want to contribute to excess clothing ending up in landfills.  Soooo much gently-worn used stuff is available, and most of my dresses cost less than $20.  Online I stick to a couple favorite name brands so I know the sizes will work.  

One more thought:  Has she considered RENTING a dress?  I've never done it myself, but some of my co-workers swear by it ... they always have something "new" to wear to a special event, and it keeps their closets lean.  

15 hours ago, jsn55 said:

A 50th Anniversary YEAR!  

Wow, yes!  

5 hours ago, Brownie54 said:

Another suggestion is Chico’s Travellers series. Every piece folds up easily and no ironing needed!

I don't know that clothing line, but all my clothes fold easily ... I'm kinda a folding nerd; I like my clothes to be "just so" in my closet and drawers.  Anyway, I'm very much a dress girl, and most of my dresses are short (I have great legs even though I'm closing in on 60 ... all teachers do), and I can Marie Kondo a dress down to about the size of a tee-shirt.  Then I pack things into the suitcase /stand them up in a line so they can't shift /wrinkle.

Edited by Mum2Mercury

2 hours ago, sseibert3 said:

We visited Chico's this morning and found a nice black dress, slacks and top.  Dress and slacks in the Travellers Series.

Whew 🙂

Scott

I’m very fond of Chicos,you wife will wear those outfits for years

On 12/17/2023 at 2:04 PM, Daisyloo said:

A plain, simple, "little black dress" is always appropriate.  It can be dressed up or down depending on what you accessorize it with.  Jewelry, scarves, shawls, shoes, can all change how the dress looks.  My last cruise I took one black dress (very simple style) and wore it several times. 

My only difference is that I have a long (mid-calf) black knit skirt and matching tunic.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a great little black dress.  I bought a size up to better fit this mature woman. Mine is true knee length and can easily be paired with tights for a sportier look or stockings and heels for a dressy look.  Mine was a boutique designer.  The cut is simple, half sleeved, the true fashion is in the fabric and its pattern.   Like @clo  I do have black mid lengthy skirts too.

39 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I bought a great little black dress.  I bought a size up to better fit this mature woman. Mine is true knee length and can easily be paired with tights for a sportier look or stockings and heels for a dressy look.  Mine was a boutique designer.  The cut is simple, half sleeved, the true fashion is in the fabric and its pattern.   Like @clo  I do have black mid lengthy skirts too.

Perfect!!!