Currently on Rotterdam - Starlink Info

RJCD800

As connectivity is important to me when traveling, I wanted to give my first hand experience using Starlink, recently installed onboard.

One word… AMAZING!  I have been able to stream any services I like.

It’s been great watching my local news in the morning and having other options than MSNBC or Fox……. I can access my Xfinity streaming account as well.  Signal is strong, buffering is rare.

I am so pleased I upgraded from the premium one device to premium 4 device to make it seamless going from device to device.

Great upgrade - well done HAL!IMG_4380.thumb.png.c9a7b9a4dc3572fe44ecb975719d58f2.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 6

6 minutes ago, Jefflaw77 said:

Going on Rotterdam on 22nd - how much is star link for the duration of the cruise

It depends how many days your cruise is.  Starlink is for all internet packages now.  Either the "Surf" basic email or social media browsing or "Premium" which can have streaming.

3 minutes ago, Jefflaw77 said:

Does “surf” allow VPN work connections? 

I know people on here have given that information, but I can't remember which thread or what they said.

Try a search for VPN on the HAL forum and see if you can find it.  Sorry, I don't know myself.

Good luck!

~Nancy

• Like 1

We were on the Rotterdam Nov 24 to Dec 3.   Starlink was an improvement over previous internet son the Rotterdam.   But we were unable to stream without upgrading to Premium internet.   For some reason we did not think we would have to upgrade once Starlink was installed.

11 hours ago, Jefflaw77 said:

Going on Rotterdam on 22nd - how much is star link for the duration of the cruise

Are on the 7-day or 14-day (one booking number) cruise?

If you log in to your booking and click on Extras in the banner near the top, you can choose Internet. The only price shown is Premium for 20% discount. Premium pre-sailing is just a bit above Surf on board! (but you can use OBC on board) 

Note that Premium including streaming does NOT made Hulu, Netflix, or Amazon movies available.

In some old letters I've found, my great-great grandparents emigrated from Germany to the U.S. in the late 1880s aboard the "City of Richmond".  My great-great grandmother wrote, "When we aren't eat'n slop, heavin' over the rails, and pray'n for a wave to take us down, we kept busy filling bottles with messages and tossing them to the seas.  No carrier-pigeons on this god-forsak'n boat!  Gerhardt seems happy, reading and re-reading the immigration notice extollin' the wonders of western Kansas, with promises of things called "tore-nadoes" and "low-custs" and "dust bowles".  If we can survive this hellish trial, heaven itself surely awaits us on the green and mount'nous prairies!"

Her list of complaints doesn't include "subpar / spotty Internet service", so THAT must have been fine.  🤔

Scott

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, ski ww said:

If we have an internet package already booked on our next cruise do you have to do an up grade to get Starlink?

No upgrade necessary.  Starlink is the system used by the ship to connect to the internet.  So you automatically get Starlink.

Edited by VMax1700
  • Like 1