(Another) question about tipping bar tenders and servers

cruisedd

For those wanting a cash tip to go to a specific bar server or bartender, a reminder that cash tips to them are pooled. Extra tips written on receipts go to the person listed at the top.

I recently verified with a bar manager on Eurodam that this is still policy for the bar staff. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

How are they any more difficult that $1, $5, $10, $20, $50 or $100?

Please explain.

All I know is the $2 get results.

Because they are much less familiar to the places in whatever foreign countries that they will spend or exchange them at.  It may make you feel clever but it just inconveniences the crew member.

And what does "gets results" even mean?  People who leave no cash tips report getting excellent service so what are these results you speak of?

But hey, if it makes you feel good who am I to gainsay you.

Edited by Toofarfromthesea
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

The problem with the $2 bill routine is that it is harder for the crew to exchange or spend.

I feel fairly certain that HAL, like other lines, has a burser or other banker to them onboard, who can take their money and put it in a form that they send money home or otherwise make it useable.  Not every passenger is tipping cash in USD.  They might end a cruise with $, €, £, kroner, etc.  A $2 bill is not complicated in the grand scheme of things.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Because they are much less familiar to the places in whatever foreign countries that they will spend or exchange them at.  It may make you feel clever but it just inconveniences the crew member.

And what does "gets results" even mean?  People who leave no cash tips report getting excellent service so what are these results you speak of?

But hey, if it makes you feel good who am I to gainsay you.

All I can attest to is anecdotal based on some 20 years of cruising and some 50 cruises of varying lengths on HAL, Cunard, RCI, Princess, NCL, and Viking.  My father, retired WWII Navy vet who at one time got paid in $2 bills, got me started on $2 bills for tipping.  His philosophy was that the recipient will remember you because of the unusual denomination and may result in a little better service the next time.  They have also led to some interesting conversations with servers from the Philippines and other Pacific islands.

I don't care one whit about the policy of pooling or not pooling tips.  I discretely hand them the $2 folded twice.

8 hours ago, oldbluff said:

For those wanting a cash tip to go to a specific bar server or bartender, a reminder that cash tips to them are pooled. Extra tips written on receipts go to the person listed at the top.

I recently verified with a bar manager on Eurodam that this is still policy for the bar staff. 

This is good to know.  I had thought the opposite would be the case. I wonder what happens to the cash we give the folks who deliver our room service?

Ah the smooth operator with the unusual bills, certainly going to get noticed and served "better". I think there are many who have tipping "strategy" to get them to the front of the line. Some pass a $20.00 at the start of at the start of a 28 day voyage and think they bought the front of the line for the duration of the cruise. Others simply ask politely when ordering drinks, say thankyou and maybe treat the servers with respect and kindness.

Edited by Blackduck59
typo
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, landlocked12 said:

This is good to know.  I had thought the opposite would be the case. I wonder what happens to the cash we give the folks who deliver our room service?

I also thought it would work the opposite way, when I first asked a year ago. I do not know about tip policy for other areas.

• Like 1

Here's one of our great bartenders in Lido, Manny. If you tip in cash, it's divided by the bartenders on duty. If you put it on a signature slip it goes to specific bartender. The debate is split on whether to give cash or add to tab.

20231222_121954.jpg

Edited by Seasick Sailor
Change of opinions from bartenders
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Navybikermom said:

I tip those who go above and beyond. There’s already 18% being added onto my drinks, for goodness sake. Tipping is starting to get out of hand in this world.

I like this part of your longer response. I'm not sure "tipping" is a world wide thing. Australians and Kiwis abhor tipping. It's not part of their culture. In those places servers a paid accordingly by the establishment, which sets the menu pricing to reflect that pay. They don't pay poverty wages and expect their patrons to supplement their staff's pay. Tipping has become rampant in North America where the establishment is paying the staff minimum wage, charging $16.00 for $3.00 of ingredients and then shaming the patrons by expecting 20% or more tips for even the worst service.

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I spent 7 weeks on the Oo, July thru Sept 1. I just didn't sign the paper. They got used to it and left me alone. When I get off the ship I give my favorites a bunch of euros or pounds or dollars, what ever I have left. I give tips for service or even pleasure not to mention good work.

Who ever thought up the system to sign for drinks in the bars and not in the restaurants probably also works on the web site.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The last time I got $2 bills it was a major hassle - The first two banks didn't have any.   Banks 3 and 4 had 10 each.   It was a hassle getting them - this was ten years ago and another reason why I stopped.   With inflation - $5 is probably a better bet now anyway.   Maybe they are easier to find now or you can order them.

I tried using Sacagawea dollar coins a while back - what a disaster - everyone thought they were fake....

That's why I stick to the 18% and auto tips - that way I don't have to carry around small bills on the ship.   

• Like 4

4 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

All I can attest to is anecdotal based on some 20 years of cruising and some 50 cruises of varying lengths on HAL, Cunard, RCI, Princess, NCL, and Viking.  My father, retired WWII Navy vet who at one time got paid in $2 bills, got me started on $2 bills for tipping.  His philosophy was that the recipient will remember you because of the unusual denomination and may result in a little better service the next time.  They have also led to some interesting conversations with servers from the Philippines and other Pacific islands.

I don't care one whit about the policy of pooling or not pooling tips.  I discretely hand them the $2 folded twice.

Really?  So you've not done this and got less excellent service?  Possibly the norm is just excellent service and you are attributing it to the $2 bills?  You could try an experiment.  Go to 3 different bars on a cruise.  At one don't give any cash tip as you go.  You can always make it up at the end of the cruise.  At the second give cash tips of 2 $1 bills.  At the third give your $2 bill tip.  See if the service is any different at the 3 bars over the course of the cruise.

The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions. - John Ruskin

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Ah the smooth operator with the unusual bills, certainly going to get noticed and served "better". I think there are many who have tipping "strategy" to get them to the front of the line. Some pass a $20.00 at the start of at the start of a 28 day voyage and think they bought the front of the line for the duration of the cruise. Others simply ask politely when ordering drinks, say thankyou and maybe treat the servers with respect and kindness.

Personally I have never gotten less than excellent service at a bar on a cruise ship.  I attribute that to wearing attractive glasses.  🤑

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

I like this part of your longer response. I'm not sure "tipping" is a world wide thing. Australians and Kiwis abhor tipping. It's not part of their culture. In those places servers a paid accordingly by the establishment, which sets the menu pricing to reflect that pay. They don't pay poverty wages and expect their patrons to supplement their staff's pay. Tipping has become rampant in North America where the establishment is paying the staff minimum wage, charging $16.00 for $3.00 of ingredients and then shaming the patrons by expecting 20% or more tips for even the worst service.

It has gotten far worse with the advent of tap to pay credit cards.  Now we are routinely presented with a screen that asks you a question before you can tap - "do you want to add a tip?" with suggested %s and the corresponding amounts, a custom option, and a no tip option.   Although I am, in general, a very generous tipper, this is a bridge too far and I refuse to tip for counter service.

I wouldn't mind the Australian system, but as long as I know that here the pay standards allow for lower pay for certain position in the expectation that the tips will make up for it I kind of feel morally obligated.  But I don't believe that is the case with counter workers, so no tips for them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Here's one of our great bartenders in Lido, Manny. If you tip in cash, it's divided by the bartenders on duty. If you put it on a signature slip it goes to specific bartender. The debate is split on whether to give cash or add to tab.

20231222_121954.jpg

I see frequent posts from people that include pics of various crew members and I always wonder, "Do you have their permission to post their picture?"  These crew and staff are people who are working and I know I would not appreciate anyone posting my picture anywhere without my permission, especially a pic of me while I am at work.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2023 at 9:39 AM, Laminator said:

The reason HAL is making pax sign the receipts is they were having issues with pax claiming they were being charged for drinks that they did not receive. 

The drinks cost HAL hardly anything.

Just now, cbr663 said:

I see frequent posts from people that include pics of various crew members and I always wonder, "Do you have their permission to post their picture?"  These crew and staff are people who are working and I know I would not appreciate anyone posting my picture anywhere without my permission, especially a pic of me while I am at work.

Oh for sure I ask and they are happy to oblige! We've known this crew over several 30 to 50 day cruises! We love them. We email family pictures! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

The last time I got $2 bills it was a major hassle - The first two banks didn't have any.   Banks 3 and 4 had 10 each.   It was a hassle getting them - this was ten years ago and another reason why I stopped.   With inflation - $5 is probably a better bet now anyway.   Maybe they are easier to find now or you can order them.

I tried using Sacagawea dollar coins a while back - what a disaster - everyone thought they were fake....

That's why I stick to the 18% and auto tips - that way I don't have to carry around small bills on the ship.   

No problem getting them.  I go to the bank whenever I need to resupply my stash and order a wrapper of them.  If I recall, a wrapper is $200.  

I wonder why some here are such contrarians about what others choose to do for tipping?  It's not their money and not their business.

At least giving cash to servers is optional on Holland America.  We were on the Norwegian Sun several years back.  On my first day I stood at the Lido bar for about 15 minutes.  Other passengers were coming up around us and getting served, but the bar tenders were ignoring us. Then I noticed that the people getting served all had cash in their hands to give the bartenders.  It was that way the whole cruise, our first and last on Norwegian.