Departure from FLL/MIA after Freedom of the Seas sailing?

Dktrpanda

short version: "is the 11:10am flight out of FLL with a 6am arrival into Port Miami doable with 2 kids in tow?"

longer version: We will be doing a 3 night Freedom of the seas cruise out of port Miami.

The itinerary says we are arriving into port at 6am on Monday morning. Southwest changed my departure time out of FLL from 12:30pm (safe bet) to 11:10am (risky)

If it were only adults, even with FLL being 20 miles away, i think it is doable.

However, I will be traveling with 2 toddlers (3 and 5 years old) and we would likely be taking the Royal Caribbean shuttle from the port to the airport since we won't have car seats with us (so no uber/lyfts)

If i don't choose the direct flight at 11:10am, the flight/travel times go from 3 hours to 5-6hours with a layover, at best. If i fly out of MIA, the direct flight isn't until 5pm.

is the 11:10am flight out of FLL with a 6am arrival into port Miami doable?

To me, it's too tight even if everything goes perfectly. 6am arrival does not mean stepping off the ship at 6am - any number of things could delay ship clearance for debarkation.

Add to that you're using RCCL transportation (will they even allow that with a flight that early?) and that means no self-debarkation option, so you're in their hands in terms of when the shuttle departs - in my experience they wait to fill the bus, so if people are taking their time you're waiting a while.

It's just not worth it to end what should be a relaxing vacation by stressing getting to the airport. Better to take an option with a longer layover OR do the flight out of MIA and do something like a hop on hop off tour to kill time - but that's just my opinion. I know I'm usually in the minority and most people would rather be stressed out to make earlier flights.

I was with you its doable until you said you will be taking the rcl shuttle. Doesnt the shuttle say it's only for flights after noon or some such? You would need to grab a taxi or uber and not wait for a shuttle to stop at other gates. 

One or the other. Dont take a shared ride to a further airport with a tight schedule. 

RCL won't allow you to use their transportation if you have a flight before a certain time. 

I cruised on Virgin earlier this year with a flight out of FLL a little after 12. I was sitting outside the terminal waiting for my 9am arranged car by 8:30 (note, Virgin does their disembarkation differently, apparently more people waited until later). We got to the airport by 9:30. If you are going to attempt to do this, I would book private transportation and attempt to be off early.

2 hours ago, Dktrpanda said:

short version: "is the 11:10am flight out of FLL with a 6am arrival into Port Miami doable with 2 kids in tow?"

longer version: We will be doing a 3 night Freedom of the seas cruise out of port Miami.

The itinerary says we are arriving into port at 6am on Monday morning. Southwest changed my departure time out of FLL from 12:30pm (safe bet) to 11:10am (risky)

If it were only adults, even with FLL being 20 miles away, i think it is doable.

However, I will be traveling with 2 toddlers (3 and 5 years old) and we would likely be taking the Royal Caribbean shuttle from the port to the airport since we won't have car seats with us (so no uber/lyfts)

If i don't choose the direct flight at 11:10am, the flight/travel times go from 3 hours to 5-6hours with a layover, at best. If i fly out of MIA, the direct flight isn't until 5pm.

is the 11:10am flight out of FLL with a 6am arrival into port Miami doable?

If you booked flights with Royal the earlies flight they will allow from Miami is 12:00;

If you booked flights on your own you are asked to enter your flight details which are not verified.

Personally I would have no issues with an 11:10 flight out of FLL, but not out of Miami

You won't know before you sail when the earliest flight is allowed for booking the ship shuttle.  Normally 11:30 flight for the nearer airport and 1/2 hour later for the farther for Miami and Fort Lauderdale.  So Royal isn't going to allow you to take their shuttle.  

I would suggest a transfer company like SAS:

https://www.ridesas.com/html/returningcustomers.php

They will pick up a group of people from your ship and take them to the airport.  Of course if one couple in the group is running late it could mess you up, but it took us around an hour from getting off the ship to arriving at FLL.  We had 8 people in the van.  They may recommend you walk off the ship yourself - earliest bag service will likely be 8 AM.  You can ask onboard for the earliest group.  The ship will schedule you for a departure group based on your flight times but it is easy to take the tags to Guest Services and get earlier tags.  Your steward will also likely have earlier tags.

The transfer companies also will sell you a transfer for only your group, but this costs more.  Not sure the transfer companies have child seats, but the Royal bus doesn't either.