What should I wear to view Antartica from the ship.

Oldnatsfan

My wife and I are leaving in January 2024 to board the Celebrity Eclipse and cruise from Buenos Aires. We will be viewing Schollart Channel, Antartica from the ship on Jan. 12, from 11:00am -1:00pm Jan 12, 2024. We will be viewing Paradise Bay, Antartica from the ship on Jan. 12 from 2:30pm-4pm. From 5pm-7pm on the same day we will be in the Gerlache Strait. The very next day, January 13th, we will be cruising by Elephant Island from 2pm -6pm. I would like to know what I a 76-year-old male and my wife a 77-year-old female should wear so we can enjoy viewing Antartica as we stand one any of the observation decks. Our 14-day cruise has many wonderful stops. However, these two days will make or break the cruise for me. 

It’s hard to know if it might be wet on those days, but I would certainly think about having a rain proof windbreaker.  There’s really no need to stand out on deck the whole time. You can duck in to warm up and watch the scenery through the picture windows in the oceanview café or Sky Lounge or the Solarium.

Your post doesn't mention where you live or what type of cabin you'll be in for this trip. If you are used to 4-seasons weather similar to what we have here in NH then you'll be well prepared. We took this same cruise last Feb and spent lots of time out on deck or on our balcony. We dressed as we would on a typical northeast day in Feb for the stops in Ushuaia and the  Antarctica days. As recommended above, we were prepared with layers. (Long sleeved shirts, fleece zip ups, and lightweight hooded down jackets. Also hats and gloves.)  It was in the 90s during our time in Buenos Aires and Montevideo. The weather was like our fall for our Falkland Island and Puerto Madryn stops. Since we had to pack for 3 seasons we had to pack strategically for this trip.

• Like 1

Layers are the key, along with your outermost layer being waterproof. Another valuable extra is the dry chemical hand warmers. On a Holland Cruise many years ago, we spent over 7 hours out on deck watching the views and wildlife. We each had a couple of the hand warmers in jacket pockets and was able to stick our hands in occasionally to get them warmer. I also stuffed a couple in the bottom of my shoes to help keep the feet warm. What with undershirt, shirt, sweater, vest, jacket, long johns and jeans, my core was always comfy outside, it was the extremities (feet, hands) that got cold at times, especially the camera hand, as I could not wear thick gloves, as I had to hold and operate both my camera and phone at times. 

As others said -  Layers are important but  would recall make sure you bring Heavy Winter Jacket, winter gloves, scarf  and ear muffs.    Weather can be unpredictable and wind may be very harsh and chilling to the bone.    I remember even with gloves my fingers were numb and ears chilled.   It limited the amount of time I could stay on one of the open decks.

On the other hand you could have no winds and warm sun.   

It snowed a little when we were in Antarctica in February. Otherwise cool and crisp. Placid seas. I did 30 minutes walking the deck post gym sessions in shorts and tee shirt.

Otherwise a down mid-layer with a windproof/waterproof outer layer. A buff and woolly hat. I use soft shell walking trousers for walking the dog in foul weather and bought a new pair for the trip. Very comfy. Decent shoes or boots, I had a pair of approach goretex trainers. This will be suitable for Falklands/Ushaia/Punta Arenas. No need for heavy down jackets you may use in the Canadian Winter. Layers is the key.

13 hours ago, Oldnatsfan said:

My wife and I are leaving in January 2024 to board the Celebrity Eclipse and cruise from Buenos Aires. We will be viewing Schollart Channel, Antartica from the ship on Jan. 12, from 11:00am -1:00pm Jan 12, 2024. We will be viewing Paradise Bay, Antartica from the ship on Jan. 12 from 2:30pm-4pm. From 5pm-7pm on the same day we will be in the Gerlache Strait. The very next day, January 13th, we will be cruising by Elephant Island from 2pm -6pm. I would like to know what I a 76-year-old male and my wife a 77-year-old female should wear so we can enjoy viewing Antartica as we stand one any of the observation decks. Our 14-day cruise has many wonderful stops. However, these two days will make or break the cruise for me. 

We are in the same age bracket and have been twice.

1) layers, always layers - the outer waterproof.

2) warm socks - when your feet are cold you will be cold.

3) good gloves - We prefer mittens.

4) warm hat

5) stay outside as much as possible - it's a one off enjoy it to the max.

6) don't look at everything through a camera /phone enjoy the view.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, the penguins said:

We are in the same age bracket and have been twice.

1) layers, always layers - the outer waterproof.

2) warm socks - when your feet are cold you will be cold.

3) good gloves - We prefer mittens.

4) warm hat

5) stay outside as much as possible - it's a one off enjoy it to the max.

6) don't look at everything through a camera /phone enjoy the view.

sorry missed one:#

7) wrap around sunglasses - the wind is likely  to be more of a problem than the temperature.