Compulsory Viewing on New Years Eve

Edinburgh Military Tattoo, this year featuring War Horse, with its most magnificent horse puppet. Always very moving.  Highlights marching, dancing (red white and blue), violinist, and flute, bagpipes, gaelic singer, choir, solo singers, the finale with the lone piper always makes me cry. i attended one year without a ticket, so had to listen from a park below the Castle.

"Dinner for One"1963  brilliant comedy where the butler plays all guests, who have passed, for 90 year old's birthday party. SBS

13 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

My dad loves dinner for one.  What time is it on SBS?

DH and his brothers saw the Military Tattoo when they came to Sydney.  Very impressed.

I saw it in Sydney a few years ago and also in 1997 when we did a big coach tour of British Isles, ticket to the tattoo were included.  I always watch it on TV. A highlights version over the years was on TV last night, it was good.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2

We watched it, Les, and it was, as always, enthralling.  The precision drills are riveting, and the skirl of the pipes carry me to a far land, especially if the pipes and drums break into “Highland Cathedral” or “ Flower of Scotland”.  The Lone Piper?  So deeply moving.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Edinburgh Military Tattoo, this year featuring War Horse, with its most magnificent horse puppet. Always very moving.  Highlights marching, dancing (red white and blue), violinist, and flute, bagpipes, gaelic singer, choir, solo singers, the finale with the lone piper always makes me cry. i attended one year without a ticket, so had to listen from a park below the Castle.

"Dinner for One"1963  brilliant comedy where the butler plays all guests, who have passed, for 90 year old's birthday party. SBS

I thought the Tattoo was on earlier in the week but is available on iView. I saw the War Horse puppet last night when there was a program looking back at the history of the Tattoo. It is probably available on iView as well.

The live ABC concert is always a total waste of time watching IMO.

Dinner for One is always hysterical, especially as we know what it coming.

On 12/30/2023 at 7:31 PM, MMDown Under said:

"Compulsory viewing" wasn't meant to be a directive, but recommendation for quality viewing and a qood laugh.

• Like 2

I concur with all opinions here re Dinner for One.  Watched it last night before another two riveting episodes of Vigil (Series 2).  Dinner was indeed hilarious.  It reminded me of the drunken waiter in Peter Sellers' equally hilarious movie, The Party.  We have enjoyed that iconic piece of entertainment many times over the years.  I don't know where you'd find it, but please watch it if you can dig it up.  If you enjoyed Dinner for One, you'll love The Party.  For a really gripping thriller, I can't recommend Vigil highly enough, but for character placement, start with Series 1.  Available on Binge (Foxtel home page).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mareblu said:

I concur with all opinions here re Dinner for One.  Watched it last night before another two riveting episodes of Vigil (Series 2).  Dinner was indeed hilarious.  It reminded me of the drunken waiter in Peter Sellers' equally hilarious movie, The Party.  We have enjoyed that iconic piece of entertainment many times over the years.  I don't know where you'd find it, but please watch it if you can dig it up.  If you enjoyed Dinner for One, you'll love The Party.  For a really gripping thriller, I can't recommend Vigil highly enough, but for character placement, start with Series 1.  Available on Binge (Foxtel home page).

I love the Party - such an hilarious film! 

• Like 1