Visa requirements for Brazil

armwinder

As of January 10th Canadian and US citizens will need a Visa to visit Brazil.  The application is on line and quite complicated to some degree. I'm not sure if NCL will help out with the required documentation or even apply on the passengers behalf. .  I have friends cruising with another cruise line who are having problems obtaining the Visa even though they qualify and are US citizens. The paperwork is in a back and forth loop.  They sail in two weeks. .  We have a cruise booked out of Lisbon and ending in Brazil, it looks like the Brazilian Government need a lot of information to be able to issue the Visa. I'm posting this to make our members aware of the new visa requirements and welcome any input. I do not want  to start an argument or debate on the eligibility or the right of the Brazilian Government  to demand a Visa.  

9 minutes ago, armwinder said:

As of January 10th Canadian and US citizens will need a Visa to visit Brazil.  The application is on line and quite complicated to some degree. I'm not sure if NCL will help out with the required documentation or even apply on the passengers behalf. .  I have friends cruising with another cruise line who are having problems obtaining the Visa even though they qualify and are US citizens. The paperwork is in a back and forth loop.  They sail in two weeks. .  We have a cruise booked out of Lisbon and ending in Brazil, it looks like the Brazilian Government need a lot of information to be able to issue the Visa. I'm posting this to make our members aware of the new visa requirements and welcome any input. I do not want  to start an argument or debate on the eligibility or the right of the Brazilian Government  to demand a Visa.  

There's a substantial thread  covering this topic on the South America Ports of Call Board. I believe one the posts includes a letter from NCLH's general counsel so NCL's parent company is well aware of the problem.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

There's a substantial thread  covering this topic on the South America Ports of Call Board. I believe one the posts includes a letter from NCLH's general counsel so NCL's parent company is well aware of the problem.

Thanks for the info. I think I might give the cruise a miss this time around and let things settle down  

13 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Just to clarify, the thread I've referenced includes a letter from NCL's corporate sibling Regent Seven Seas, and a thread on the Regent Seven Seas board includes a post with a link to this affidavit from NCLH's general counsel that passengers can use as part of the documentation required to obtain the visa:

https://www.rssc.com/sites/default/files/2023-12/cruise-line-declaration.pdf

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Just to clarify, the thread I've referenced includes a letter from NCL's corporate sibling Regent Seven Seas, and a thread on the Regent Seven Seas board includes a post with a link to this affidavit from NCLH's general counsel that passengers can use as part of the documentation required to obtain the visa:

https://www.rssc.com/sites/default/files/2023-12/cruise-line-declaration.pdf

Thank you for the information, we may look into a different cruise as this looks like a lot of work and a bit hit and miss. Really appreciate your help. 

47 minutes ago, mugtech said:

Brazil is not worth the extra work required and price.

The more I look into this the more I agree with you. It was a cruise out of Lisbon and we booked only last week. No problem to rebook and visit a destination that wants us. I don’t need an exercise in stress and the unknown. 

2 minutes ago, yakcruiser said:

I read somewhere that you have to give them a copy of your bank statement to get your visa. No thanks!

If you look at the link I provided in post #4, NCLH is providing an affidavit that is supposed to be accepted in lieu of a bank statement.

• Thanks 1

This is interesting - when I cruised around South America in 2013 I needed a Visa - fortunately there was a Brazilian consulate in Vancouver and was able to get it in fairly short order. Which poses the question - did they get away from needing visas and are now re-introducing the need for them. 

There are often thread about NCL helping with entry requirements to various countries. And the answer is always the same, it is the passenger’s responsibility to ensure that they have the correct travel documentation. 

On our last Caribbean cruise, there were passengers from 48 different countries. NCL can’t take the responsibility for understanding the specific requirements of individuals. 

For example, on an Alaskan or Fall foliage cruise, US citizens can enter Canada. But, US citizens with a felony conviction for something as common as a DUI may not enter Canada without special approval. It is up to the passenger to know whether they am a legally enter a country or whether they risk being detained. 

39 minutes ago, Urban trekker said:

This is interesting - when I cruised around South America in 2013 I needed a Visa - fortunately there was a Brazilian consulate in Vancouver and was able to get it in fairly short order. Which poses the question - did they get away from needing visas and are now re-introducing the need for them. 

It has to do with the change of political administrations in Brazil.

When Balsonaro was president (2019-2022) he eliminated the retaliatory visa requirements for citizens of countries such as the US and Canada that required Brazilian citizens to obtain visas, hoping to increase tourism to Brazil and possibly getting the US, Canada, etc. to ease their requirements for Brazilians.

When Lula took office this year (he was also president from 2003 to 2010) he decided to reinstitute the  visa requirements for citizens of the US, Canada, etc, presumably because those countries had never eased their visa requirements for Brazilians.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

There are often thread about NCL helping with entry requirements to various countries. And the answer is always the same, it is the passenger’s responsibility to ensure that they have the correct travel documentation. 

On our last Caribbean cruise, there were passengers from 48 different countries. NCL can’t take the responsibility for understanding the specific requirements of individuals. 

For example, on an Alaskan or Fall foliage cruise, US citizens can enter Canada. But, US citizens with a felony conviction for something as common as a DUI may not enter Canada without special approval. It is up to the passenger to know whether they am a legally enter a country or whether they risk being detained. 

Yes, but the passenger's responsibility to know whether a country requires a visa or some other travel documentation is not what this discussion is about.

The NCLH cruise lines, and at least one other  cruise line from what I've read , have stepped in and intervened with the government of Brazil on its passengers' behalf because that country has introduced a difficult to comply with bureaucratic process to obtain the necessary visa on very short notice, just at the start of the South America cruise season.

So far I've seen the affidavit that NCLH has prepared for its passengers based on an agreement with the Brazilian government, as I've cited above.

Holland America has assured its passengers who have not been able to obtain their Brazilian visa prior to boarding their world cruise that based on an agreement reached with Brazil those passengers will be allowed to board the ship. The cruise line will then assist them in obtaining the visa while the cruise is under way and any passengers who still have not gotten their visas by the time the ship reaches Brazil will simply have to stay on board at port calls in Brazil.. 

Edited by njhorseman

4 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Lucky for me DUI is not a felony in Pennsylvania.

7 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Holland America has assured its passengers who have not been able to obtain their Brazilian visa prior to boarding their world cruise that based on an agreement reached with Brazil those passengers will be allowed to board the ship. The cruise line will then assist them in obtaining the visa while the cruise is under way and any passengers who still have not gotten their visas by the time the ship reaches Brazil will simply have to stay on board at port calls in Brazil.. 

What if they could not get a visa and the cruise ends in Brazil?

8 hours ago, njhorseman said:

The NCLH cruise lines, and at least one other  cruise line from what I've read , have stepped in and intervened with the government of Brazil on its passengers' behalf because that country has introduced a difficult to comply with bureaucratic process to obtain the necessary visa on very short notice, just at the start of the South America cruise season.

Someone booked a cruise when the U.S. processes visas in 30 days, but later the U.S. processes visas in 700+ days. Should that person blame the cruise line not helping in obtaining a U.S. visa? Visa-free is a favor, not entitlement.

42 minutes ago, CruisingFun2023 said:

Someone booked a cruise when the U.S. processes visas in 30 days, but later the U.S. processes visas in 700+ days. Should that person blame the cruise line not helping in obtaining a U.S. visa? Visa-free is a favor, not entitlement.

Why are you asking a hypothetical question about blame ? I'm merely stating the facts as I understand them. 

And how are reading anything into what I said that is even remotely about blaming cruise lines for the Brazilian visa situation ? It's just the opposite.  In the examples I gave the cruise lines have stepped in to help their passengers...which makes sense because otherwise a lot of passengers would suddenly not be able to take the cruises they had paid for and the cruise lines would likely have to make drastic last minute itinerary changes.

10 hours ago, complawyer said:

is this sufficient? doesnt need to be signed or anything, and who do you present  it to?

No, this isn't all you need. It's just supposed to replace the requirement for a bank statement or other proof of income. Your cruise ticket will identify you as someone who will be a passenger on NCL, Oceania or Regent Seven Seas.

All the required documentation has to be uploaded to the site for visa application processing. You can look at the thread on the Brazil Ports of Call board for the details.