Visa requirements for Brazil

armwinder

5 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Canada considers DUI to be  a felony regardless. It doesn't matter how any US state's law or other country's law categorizes the DUI...you can be prevented from entering Canada.

Been to Canada many times on both coasts, never came up.  Perhaps it is because the conviction was 40 years ago.

51 minutes ago, mugtech said:

Been to Canada many times on both coasts, never came up.  Perhaps it is because the conviction was 40 years ago.

Either because it was so many years ago or there's the possibility that it was never recorded in the NCIC database so Canada isn't even aware of it.

njhorseman. you seem to be up on the current status of visa's to brazil. so am i to understand that if we're arriving in rio on april 8th, we do not need a visa?

and does also  mean we dont need to go all through the process of obtaining one

4 hours ago, complawyer said:

njhorseman. you seem to be up on the current status of visa's to brazil. so am i to understand that if we're arriving in rio on april 8th, we do not need a visa?

I don't profess to be an expert, but my understanding of the requirement is that you won't need the visa to enter Brazil on April 8 and therefore there's no need for you to go through the process of obtaining one.

7 hours ago, complawyer said:

Don’t trust what you read on a message board about needed documents

11 hours ago, complawyer said:

The Brazilian Consulate recommends having one when your arrival is close to the effective date in case there is a delay in your arrival. Unlikely that will happen in a cruise though.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, zqvol said:

You can trust what I posted because it's directly from the government of Brazil. You can see the ".gov.br" in the URL I provided.

Further, the web page I cited has this link to the official decree:

https://www.in.gov.br/en/web/dou/-/decreto-n-11.875-de-4-de-janeiro-de-2024-535758664 , which shows the amended effective date of April 10, 2024 :

"Art. 3 This Decree comes into force on April 10, 2024." (NR)

Edited by njhorseman

4 hours ago, zqvol said:

6 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

You can trust what I posted because it's directly from the government of Brazil. You can see the ".gov.br" in the URL I provided.

Trust njhorseman....We have an Oceania Rio-Miami (Amazon River) cruise booked for March and were informed 2-days ago by Oceania that the visa requirement has been postponed for 90 days.

• Thanks 1

thank you njhorseman and gravitar. i feel much more relieved knowing we wont need a visa when arriving on the 8th. my wallet thanks you also, as now i have saved the  costs of 2 visa's. 

On 1/6/2024 at 6:53 AM, njhorseman said:

I don't profess to be an expert, but my understanding of the requirement is that you won't need the visa to enter Brazil on April 8 and therefore there's no need for you to go through the process of obtaining one.

thanks for the info but wondering if we have many ports after the 10th in brazil don't we need a visa thank again.

1 hour ago, mystik said:

thanks for the info but wondering if we have many ports after the 10th in brazil don't we need a visa thank again.

Again, I don't profess to be an expert on Brazilian policy, but if your ship isn't making any port calls in other countries between your port calls in Brazil then you wouldn't have left Brazil and shouldn't need the visa. That assumes Brazil's immigration procedures are similar to those of other countries I'm familiar with.

OTOH  if your ship is calling on ports in other countries in between Brazilian ports then I suspect you will need the visa. 

• Like 1

fyi, it's making a few ports in brazil, and afterwards, leaving the country to continue on. so (1) if you now do not need a visa to enter brazil prior to 4/10/2014 (which we are) and (2) the other ports are within the country, a visa is most likely not needed.

there is also some discussion as to whether or not a yellow fever shot is required to enter cape verde, if you have been to brazil. to be safe, my wife and i will get this shot (certainly not something to which i am looking forward) Im not sure about all of them, but  i found out my local Walgreens has them

16 hours ago, complawyer said:

fyi, it's making a few ports in brazil, and afterwards, leaving the country to continue on. so (1) if you now do not need a visa to enter brazil prior to 4/10/2014 (which we are) and (2) the other ports are within the country, a visa is most likely not needed.

there is also some discussion as to whether or not a yellow fever shot is required to enter cape verde, if you have been to brazil. to be safe, my wife and i will get this shot (certainly not something to which i am looking forward) Im not sure about all of them, but  i found out my local Walgreens has them

our yellow fever are go until 2017 are you on norwegian star april 10 to lisbon

16 hours ago, complawyer said:

I wrote to the Brazilian consulate in Miami.

Below is their response from earlier today:

Dear ,

In case you leave the ship and go through Brazilian Immigration to enter the country, YOU WILL NEED A VISA AFTER APRIL 10. If you just stay on the ship you do not need a visa.

Best regards,

photo  
Consulate General of Brazil in Miami
Visa Section
visa.miami@itamaraty.gov.br
3150 SW 38th Ave.
Miami, FL  33146
0.png 0.png 0.png

This message originates from the Consulate General of Brazil in Miami (CGMIAMI). It contains information that may be confidential or privileged and is intended only for the individuals or entity named above. It is prohibited for anyone else to disclose, copy, distribute or use the contents of this message. This message may not be copied or distributed without this disclaimer. All personal messages express views solely of the sender, which are not to be attributed to CGMIAMI or to the Ministry of Exterior Relations of Brazil. If you received this message in error, please notify us immediately at cg.miami@itamaraty.gov.br 
photo  

0.png 0.png 0.png

Just now, Asuzi said:

I wrote to the Brazilian consulate in Miami.

Below is their response from earlier today:

Dear ,

In case you leave the ship and go through Brazilian Immigration to enter the country, YOU WILL NEED A VISA AFTER APRIL 10. If you just stay on the ship you do not need a visa.

Best regards,

photo  
Consulate General of Brazil in Miami
Visa Section
visa.miami@itamaraty.gov.br
3150 SW 38th Ave.
Miami, FL  33146
0.png 0.png 0.png

This message originates from the Consulate General of Brazil in Miami (CGMIAMI). It contains information that may be confidential or privileged and is intended only for the individuals or entity named above. It is prohibited for anyone else to disclose, copy, distribute or use the contents of this message. This message may not be copied or distributed without this disclaimer. All personal messages express views solely of the sender, which are not to be attributed to CGMIAMI or to the Ministry of Exterior Relations of Brazil. If you received this message in error, please notify us immediately at cg.miami@itamaraty.gov.br 
photo  

0.png 0.png 0.png

The highlighting was done at the Consulate.

I had hoped to get off the ship between April 10 and April 15 in different ports in Brazil so I guess I need a Visa.

20 minutes ago, Asuzi said:

The highlighting was done at the Consulate.

I had hoped to get off the ship between April 10 and April 15 in different ports in Brazil so I guess I need a Visa.

Caveat: I am not an immigration lawyer, nor any other type of lawyer, but I do have experience in both the travel business and in writing contract language .

In countries I'm familiar with one normally goes through immigration only at the first port of call . If that first port of call is on or after April 10, yes you need a a visa. If it's before April 10, you shouldn't

Reread what the consulate said, paying close attention to "leave the ship and go through Brazilian Immigration". That appears to say you need the visa only if you're going through immigration...and to restate what I've already said, going through immigration normally is done only at your first port of call .

mystik, yes we are on the star from rio to lisbon april 10th thru april 27th, but we're getting to rio apr 8th, hence no need for a visa, and stayaing on in lisbon until the 29th. C U there and bon voyage!

Since I am taking b2b cruises with the 2nd cruise starting in Rio- on 4/10; I am not certain that NCL will not make me disembark and walk thru to get back in the ship.    As an experienced cruise traveler; that has happened to me before on a couple occasions.

The Brazil consulate sent me 3 different emails in response to my multiple questions.   They could not guarantee that there will not  be immigration at Rio or any other Brazilian port starting 4/10 or afterwards.  

Their bottom line was IF there is  immigration or Policia Federal at any port and its April 10 or after, and they decide to check, a Visa would be necessary.

So, for me, who is risk adverse, I am applying for Brazilian Visa. 

Everyone will have to make that decision for themself.

i was thrilled that i didnt need a visa since we were going into brazil on the 8th. since we have 3 ports in brazil, im going to concede the need, and get the d**n visa's. guess it really is better to be safe than sorry. i'd suppose we'd rather have them and not need them, as opposed to needing them and not having them

• Like 1

On 1/7/2024 at 5:21 PM, complawyer said:

there is also some discussion as to whether or not a yellow fever shot is required to enter cape verde

FYI...The protocol for the Yellow Fever shot has change.  It is now a one and done type of shot.  Ergo, if your inoculation record documents you have had the shot, you no longer have to get another one.

i booked this cruise because it was a long voyage, the price for a 2 bedroom suite was amazing, and i wanted to see/photograph Christ the Redeemer and wander the streets of lisbon.

we had previously been to tenerife and funchal, and meh!

had the issue of a visa come up prior to the Brazilian decision,i probably would have cancelled the cruise to avoid the hassles.

while i know im entering the country before apr 10th, im hesitant to shell out the money for the visa if we dont need it inthe other brazilian ports. 

i tend to agree with njhoresman, that you only check through immigration upon 1st entering the country.

hopefully that stays true throughout the other ports in brazil. if not, i booked myseld a very,very,very long sea voyage(lol)