Embarkation day question

TinaM67

3 minutes ago, TinaM67 said:

I'm wondering if the staterooms are available to drop off carry-on items upon embarkation.  Or do we have to lug them around at lunch until the rooms are ready?

Lug them so that the crew can actually turn the ship around. 

• Like 3

You will need to keep your possessions with you until your cabin deck is cleared and called. If PH, 1:00-1:30. Below that, anywhere out until 3:00 or 3:30.

Another reason we don’t board until 3:00 or after.

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

You will need to keep your possessions with you until your cabin deck is cleared and called. If PH, 1:00-1:30. Below that, anywhere out until 3:00 or 3:30.

Another reason we don’t board until 3:00 or after.

Another hallmark of a "Premium Line?"  Even Princess let us in our cabins before 2.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cape Hernlopen said:

We usually book a veranda cabin.  We have always been able to drop off our carry on bag and put our passports and valuables in our cabin safe by noon\ or shortly thereafter.  We would always ask our room attendant and they always welcomed us.

Joel Barry

All this while the senior officers are making continuous announcements to NOT go to your cabin until your deck is called. 😒

Let me guess, you believe that (1) the cabin attendants outrank the senior officers; or (2) you don’t care what protocol is, you’ll just ignore the announcements and do as you please.

#2 occurs frequently on Oceania. Ignoring officer and CD announcements.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Cape Hernlopen said:

Pinotlover:

Your sarcasm and "nasty" undertone are not appreciated.  I have noticed your type of response on other occasions, and I surmise that you are pleased with your actions.  Have a Happy New Year.

Joel Barry

He happens to be correct.  

• Like 8

Many pax  will drop off their bags   even when asked not to go to their cabins

This shows a disrespect  for the staff onboard that are trying to get their work done 

Of course the cabin attendants are not going  to say NO  to you

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Cape Hernlopen said:

Pinotlover:

Your sarcasm and "nasty" undertone are not appreciated.  I have noticed your type of response on other occasions, and I surmise that you are pleased with your actions.  Have a Happy New Year.

Joel Barry

The poster you are criticizing has hit a grand slam homer with appropriateness and accuracy of his point. If you are going to chastise someone for tone at least pick a comment where reasonable people can disagree on the substance. This is not one of them.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Cape Hernlopen said:

Pinotlover:

Joel Barry

Perhaps I hear a guilty conscience?  You've placed your room stewards between what you know is their employer's instructions and your demands -- perhaps politely phrased, but demands nonetheless.

But, yes, may 2024 be better then 2023, 2022, 2021, or 2020 for all of us.

• Like 3

The ironies abound here...

What does O actually enforce? The dress code? Disembarkation instructions? "Saving" pool loungers?

O gives you your world card and that opens your cabin. (Unlike say a hotel, where you usually won't get your working room key/card until they let you in.) If they don't want you in your room, pretty easy for them to keep you out. They don't though!

Does anyone hold O accountable for the massive marketing LIES it tells? "Free" items that aren't free. "2 for 1" that has nothing to do with either a 2 or a 1.

O claims people either can make "reservations" in specialty restaurants late at 9 pm (but then try to move the one or 2 actually made at 9 pm to an earlier slot, with hardly anyone entering them after 8:30 pm), or claims "No reservations are available" when you try weeks in ADVANCE to make your allowable ones, YET suddenly on the day in question, large numbers of people are claiming they just walk up to the reservation desk and get nice times.

The ONLY thing I truly trust...watching the never-ending O SALES to find a cheaper rate for a better room. And when you're on the ship and you tell someone what you paid, their jaw drops and they say, "But O never told me about that sale!"

• Thanks 1

And who can forget my favorite... An O alcohol policy that claims "6 bottles of wine" yet we all know we can and do bring on board large quantities of beer, hard liquor and wine at embarkation and in ports.

I do hope O does enforce drinking all this alcohol in one's cabin, but I have NEVER heard anyone say, "O caught me drinking my own alcohol outside my cabin and here is what happened to me."

So when O says, "This is what you should or shouldn't do...." You might...laugh?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

And who can forget my favorite... An O alcohol policy that claims "6 bottles of wine" yet we all know we can and do bring on board large quantities of beer, hard liquor and wine at embarkation and in ports.

I do hope O does enforce drinking all this alcohol in one's cabin, but I have NEVER heard anyone say, "O caught me drinking my own alcohol outside my cabin and here is what happened to me."

So when O says, "This is what you should or shouldn't do...." You might...laugh?

I usually follow rules since in my prior life I was a rule maker and appreciated when others followed the rules I made.  However, in this instance I am inclined to agree with you.  When O doesn’t enforce the rules they make, why should this one rule of not entering the cabin prior to being told to do so be enforced?  Just asking.  Not planning on breaking the rules.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

I usually follow rules since in my prior life I was a rule maker and appreciated when others followed the rules I made.  However, in this instance I am inclined to agree with you.  When O doesn’t enforce the rules they make, why should this one rule of not entering the cabin prior to being told to do so be enforced?  Just asking.  Not planning on breaking the rules.

And they don't appear to enforce anything else about embarkation, either. As if the "stated" times make any difference? If you're in a G-A cabin, the earlier you show up, regardless of your "Time", the sooner you get on board. See the long winding line in Terminal J in Miami. In Trieste (10/3023) they didn't ask for or look at any "time". We got off the Venice to Trieste train, hopped in a cab at the station, we got out by the ship, and we went into the terminal and got in line.

And I'm SICK of O crew calling my wife in our cabin at 1700 and 1710 and 1720 when the CURRENTS and the sign at the gangplank says "Return NLT 1730". She tells them, "Trust me, he'll be back right at 1730." And I tell the security people when I leave I plan to be back right at 1730. I want to spend as much time as I can and not feel rushed to please some captain who wants to leave before the supposed 1800 ship departure.

I've even learned that if you time it right, sometimes they literally pick you up and drive you back to the boat. The port manager did that in Puerto Plata off Sirena 11/2022. He was laughing and said something like, "Are you Michael? They really want you back on now. I'm here to pick you up." And I'm like, "It's 1620. I'm not due until 1630. I can see the ship. But thanks for the ride." (I was carrying a big painting rolled up, I had purchased at 1600.)

21 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

And I'm SICK of O crew calling my wife in our cabin at 1700 and 1710 and 1720 when the CURRENTS and the sign at the gangplank says "Return NLT 1730". She tells them, "Trust me, he'll be back right at 1730." And I tell the security people when I leave I plan to be back right at 1730. I want to spend as much time as I can and not feel rushed to please some captain who wants to leave before the supposed 1800 ship departure.

I am sure the rest of the pax on your cruise are sick of hearing your name  called as well 🙄

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Let's play a game of "why?"

• Why not leave luggage in not-yet-ready cabins?

- It slows down the stewards, delaying everyone's full access to their cabins.

• Why "6 bottles" even if not normally enforced?

- It gives leverage when needing to deal with ...Carnival refugees 😉 

• Why prod people cutting all-aboard time closely?

- For the same reason I get to embarkation ports a day early.

Edited by Snaefell3
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I am sure the rest of the pax on your cruise are sick of hearing your name  called as well 🙄

Those are phone calls. So the rest of the pax were clueless. Silly goose.

And in one port in the Caribbean off Sirena 11/2022 the passengers on the pool deck were shouting out to me, "Run, Forest, run." We laughed! As I walked back to the gangplank at 1630, the NLT.

So many thoughts, so pointless to post them. 

It's not my job to tell people what they should or should not do, but certain behaviors do bother me. But unless it directly affects me then I'm working on doing my best to ignore it. If others want to endear themselves to the staff and crew and get those remarks on their file, then more power to them.  I'm sure I've got a few interesting remarks in mine. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

You are not breaking a rule since the 6 bottle policy is not a hard and fast rule. As a chaotic-good player, I am versed at understanding what is an actual rule (OK, it's actually because I used to write instructional documents, and knowing the difference between a Work Instruction and Guideline, or "shall" vs. "should", was important). The word "may" shows up all over the place. For example:

From FAQ (updated in 2022):

https://oceaniacruises.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360006547473-Can-I-purchase-bottles-of-wine-at-ports-of-call-and-bring-them-on-board-

"Any additional purchases above and beyond the six bottles, made during the cruise at any of the ports may be held for you until the end of the cruise. "

And from a September 2023 Ticket Contract:

"Carrier reserves the right to prohibit and retain all liquor brought aboard the Ship. All liquor purchased ashore must remain in bond until disembarkation."

"Reserves the right" does not mean they will confiscate booze, but that they can if they think it is a good idea (e.g., a group of partiers who are ruining the cruise for the other guests). The second sentence seems to imply that all booze will be placed in bond, but I think it is poor wording and should be interpreted as saying that IF O chooses to confiscate booze, then it will be placed in bond until disembarkation.

Edited by AMHuntFerry
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Snaefell3 said:

• Why prod people cutting all-aboard time closely?

Pretty OT here but I've wondered why people are so 'hot to trot' to get on board. I know there are different kinds of ports but I generally seek out some restaurant whose menu sounds good and have lunch there before boarding, You'll have tons of the same food - albeit good - for the next 7/14/forever days.

• Like 2