10 day Venezia or 8 day Horizon?

Hubby and I are having a hard time weighing the pros and cons.  10 day Venezia (Nassau, HMC, Grand Turk, Amber Cove) is less expensive than the 8 day Horizon (Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao).  The only port we haven't been to is Bonaire.  We'd be sailing Venezia to try the new ship herself, while Horizon, it is definitely about the destinations.

I'd appreciate your opinions regarding either ship or itinerary.  

Happy New Year!!

Frankly I'd take an ABC cruise on the Fantasy, God rest her soul, over another cruise to Nassau and Grand Turk...nothing at all against those ports. I love them and I will go back to them no doubt. But I've seen all I care to see of them for now.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

We are doing a 2nd cruise on Venezia, 11 day in a few months, this is to get to Platinum.

After that it is nothing but Havana Area on the Vista/Horizon for us + Alaska ships

We did have another 11 day booked on the Venezia for later this year but switched it for the 8 Day Havana area.

Edited by thesmiths

14 hours ago, Cherries Jubilee said:

The length of the cruise is more important to me than the ports so I would go with Venezia. I you want the best ports it’s Horizon.

I totally agree with this.  I would choose Venezia for the extra 2 cruise days, hands down.

I would go with the 10 days on Venezia. I haven't been to ABC yet. I've been trying since before COVID. It just never worked out price wise. Finally this year I am doing ABC on Horizon. Unless you just can't wait to go to ABC....It doesn't sound like it since you're asking the question. I would take the cheaper 10 day cruise on the newer ship and save ABC for another time.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

we've never been on Carnival, so I thought Venezia was an old ship. I had to look it up and it's actually newer than Horizon, so this would be a very tough call for me personally. Since 1 year difference is really negligible, on one hand we have 10 days with nice ports for less money, and on the other hand, ABC islands(!) but 8 days and more expensive. Tough call. 

This year we are doing 2 cruises to ABC islands, so in this case I'd pick Venezia as our next cruise. But then, I do love Italian food.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

Tough call since you've done most of those ports already.  Usually I would say longer cruise, but ABCs are hard to pass up.  Cruises to the Bahamas are a dime a dozen (although I'd take a cruise to the Bahamas over no cruise at all), so I would be looking into other factors.

1. How much is the price difference?  

2. Which embarkation port is closer to home?  Are either driveable?  If you do need to fly, the dates could have an impact on airline prices.

3. Do either of you still work or are you retired?  The time off from work would have an impact for me depending on the dates.

4. Do you need the extra days to move up to Platinum?

I've never been on either of those ships or to most of those ports, but we are going on Horizon to Aruba, Bonaire, and the DR in March!  We are within driving distance to all of of the southeast ports and Norfolk. I am curious to hear what you decide on 🙂

I see you're flying out of Chicago and I don't know if you're retired or not. That might impact my recommendation as well as the month you are considering. IF you are planning numerous cruises and might consider BOTH, I think I'd choose the one that was at the best price point for that particular itinerary. Said another way, if the ABC cruise can be obtained at that price point anytime and isn't a bargain, perhaps consider the Venezia. If it's an early February departure out of NYC and you'll be cold for 2 days, maybe choose Horizon. Personally, I'd do both!

Are you booking a Havana or Terrazza room?  If not then I would pick the ten day cruise. Bonaire really isn’t that special (unless you like to Scuba dive or snorkel).  Both itineraries have too many sea days for my liking. 

I have such a weird vibe about Curaco. I hate that I watched that documentary about the lady that went missing. I know its 1 in a million but its ruined it for me! So irrational. I need to do more research on Bonaire and Curaco in general because I to am deciding between these two itineraries. Both a win!

6 hours ago, missholly24 said:

I have such a weird vibe about Curaco. I hate that I watched that documentary about the lady that went missing. I know its 1 in a million but its ruined it for me! So irrational. I need to do more research on Bonaire and Curaco in general because I to am deciding between these two itineraries. Both a win!

What lady that went missing in Curacao? Do you mean Natalie Holloway in Aruba?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

What lady that went missing in Curacao? Do you mean Natalie Holloway in Aruba?

No. Amy Lynn Bradley. It was a long long time ago but the YouTube documentary has stuck with me for some reason. Like I said it’s irrational. She was most likely trafficked after hanging out with a band member during a cruise with her parents. Millions of people have safely traveled there since. 

7 hours ago, missholly24 said:

I saw the same documentary.  It blows my mind that on such a small island, no one can find the American girl that works in brothels?!?!  How hard could this be??

14 minutes ago, matt082600 said:

I saw the same documentary.  It blows my mind that on such a small island, no one can find the American girl that works in brothels?!?!  How hard could this be??

what was the girls name?

10 day Venezia to those ports in a heartbeat. 2 extra days for less money and I enjoy easy ports where you can just walk off and relax and HMC is so beautiful. That said I did enjoy Horizon and ABC so you will be fine either way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, matt082600 said:

Well the corrupt private investigator really screwed up the investigation. The cab driver part too? I assume they moved her right away to another island. (While the bad PI was not following leads). ABC islands seem very safe overall. I would choose that itinerary! 

5 hours ago, missholly24 said:

No. Amy Lynn Bradley. It was a long long time ago but the YouTube documentary has stuck with me for some reason. Like I said it’s irrational. She was most likely trafficked after hanging out with a band member during a cruise with her parents. Millions of people have safely traveled there since. 

tyvm I've never heard of this case. I will have to look into it.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

what was the girls name?

Don't do it. LOL....I love researching cruise stuff. Was addicted to George Smith case back in the day as well. Happy Cruising!

Edited by missholly24

On 1/3/2024 at 10:31 AM, Theosprey247 said:

Bonaire really isn’t that special

wat???

It's magical. I am serious. We don't even snorkel...

image.thumb.jpeg.9f3f1d325de6fc85a5dfdc785ade8582.jpeg

On 1/3/2024 at 11:00 AM, missholly24 said:

I have such a weird vibe about Curaco. I hate that I watched that documentary about the lady that went missing. I know its 1 in a million but its ruined it for me! So irrational.

It's more dangerous here in the US on a regular day.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

wat???

It's magical. I am serious. We don't even snorkel...

image.thumb.jpeg.9f3f1d325de6fc85a5dfdc785ade8582.jpeg

It's more dangerous here in the US on a regular day.

Haha totally agree! I know its irrational. Is that Bonaire or Curacao?

Edited by missholly24