Adventure of the Seas Internet questions

My family and I are scheduled (via a group event) on Adventure of the Seas for a cruise on Adventure of the Seas down to St Croix, St Thomas, San Juan and Coco Cay. We got two cabins, one balcony and one inside. Our sons (young adults) will share the inside cabin and my wife and I'll have the balcony room. Hopefully they can put us close to each other. Anyway, we bought the wifi package for 4 devices in each room.

1. Does Adventure of the Seas use Starlink like some of the other ships I'm hearing about?

2. What are the speeds like?

One of my sons is a gamer and this trip will be the longest he's ever gone without a constant connection. I'm hoping that if he has a portable game device that he can still get online (not to stream or anything, but to connect with friends and such) that it'll be adequate.

This will only be my second cruise. My wife and I did a Celebrity cruise to cozumel a few years ago (pre-pandemic) and I loved it. Am really looking forward to experiencing Royal Caribbean. I'm hoping that the negative reviews of the ship on cruise critic are mostly just the vocal few and not a large majority of the passenger experience.

Thanks!

1 minute ago, watcher_62 said:

That would allow you 8 active users at one time...?

Yeah. I didn't realize that it was "at one time" when we bought. I thought it was like a lot of the hotels where you can activate only a certain number of devices period. So we each have a phone plus my wife will have a tablet probably. I'll have my laptop and my sons will have a computer or other game device.

8 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

All RC ships use Starlink.

Since RC uses a captive portal to log in, some hand held devices (like a Switch) make it very difficult to log into the internet.

Thanks for the info!!

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, AndrewCfromAZ said:

Do either of you know by chance if you can access and use the inputs on the tvs in the rooms? or is it all locked down?

Welcome to CC.

You should be able to both physically and logically use the HDMI inputs on the cabin TV.

I would cancel the second cabin 4 device package.

The speeds can vary a lot on the ship depending on location but anywhere from 100+MBps to 4Mbps.

Edited by Biker19

Just off AoS for Xmas cruise.  The Voom internet is Starlink.  Our experience in main areas of the ship was that it was excellent.  In cabin (at least ours), it was very subpar.  So, if they use it in common areas there should be no issues, in cabin may be another matter.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, AndrewCfromAZ said:

Yeah. I didn't realize that it was "at one time" when we bought. I thought it was like a lot of the hotels where you can activate only a certain number of devices period. So we each have a phone plus my wife will have a tablet probably. I'll have my laptop and my sons will have a computer or other game device.

Items purchased in the cruise planner can be returned for a refund.  Different packages (or the same one if there is a price drop) can be repurchased.  Decide how many devices your family will need to have on line simultaneously, and fine tune you purchase before the cruise.

My experience on Aos was similar to Airbear.  Wifi in cabin was weak, though it improved as soon as I walked to the corridor.

Edited by Starry Eyes

On 1/3/2024 at 2:26 PM, Airbear232 said:

Just off AoS for Xmas cruise.  The Voom internet is Starlink.  Our experience in main areas of the ship was that it was excellent.  In cabin (at least ours), it was very subpar.  So, if they use it in common areas there should be no issues, in cabin may be another matter.

We were on for the Christmas cruise as well and had similar experiences with the internet. Worked great in public places and was just ok in the room. Wouldn’t work at all on the balcony of our room but we were strangely picking it up in the port shopping area in St. Thomas. 

• Like 1

On 1/3/2024 at 10:36 AM, AndrewCfromAZ said:

And they all need to be connected at the same time?? If you only need to connect 4 devices AT A TIME then you will only need a 4-device package. I'm trying to save you some money. You can buy a 4-device package for your room and share the login info with your sons. Doing it that way will allow your family to connect any 4 (regardless of how many you brought with you) devices at a time. Does anyone really need to have their phone AND their tablet/laptop/computer connected at the same time?

5 hours ago, kag19 said:

We were on for the Christmas cruise as well and had similar experiences with the internet. Worked great in public places and was just ok in the room. Wouldn’t work at all on the balcony of our room but we were strangely picking it up in the port shopping area in St. Thomas. 

Our experience on AOS was the same.

We just got off Adventure for 2 weeks and have very few problems with internet connectivity.  I would say in 2 weeks the internet only "dropped" us maybe 3 times and these were for very short periods of time (less than 1 minute each time) all during very yucky weather.  Our location may have had something to do with that as we were all the way forward immediately above the bridge so I suspect that this area probably had very good coverage.

23 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

And they all need to be connected at the same time?? If you only need to connect 4 devices AT A TIME then you will only need a 4-device package. I'm trying to save you some money. You can buy a 4-device package for your room and share the login info with your sons. Doing it that way will allow your family to connect any 4 (regardless of how many you brought with you) devices at a time. Does anyone really need to have their phone AND their tablet/laptop/computer connected at the same time?

Yeah I said before I didn't realize it was just based on simultaneous connections. I thought it was total. I'll be returning the one 4-device package.

6 minutes ago, AndrewCfromAZ said:

Yeah I said before I didn't realize it was just based on simultaneous connections. I thought it was total. I'll be returning the one 4-device package.

Best deal is 1 person, 4 devices. Everyone shares a login, but 4 devices can be logged on at the same time.