Can you get a bowl of fruit for your room?

On one of my previous cruises (7 years ago on a different line), we were able to request a bowl of fruit from our cabin steward.  Can this be requested from Royal Caribbean?

Thanks,

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, tomcherv said:

On one of my previous cruises (7 years ago on a different line), we were able to request a bowl of fruit from our cabin steward.  Can this be requested from Royal Caribbean?

Thanks,

Unfortunately no, unless you are in a suite and then one will be in your stateroom when you board. There are a few other ways to acquire what you want:

1) Grab a soup bowl the first time you visit the Windjammer buffet, fill it with the fruit you want, and bring it back to your cabin, or

2) order one on your first night in the main dining room, or

3) order one from room service ($$)

Edited by orville99
  • Like 1

I remember the days of cruising way back when. A bowl of fruit in your cabin used to be standard. With all the food available I thought it was quite the waste.  I did not miss it when they cut it out. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, orville99 said:

Unfortunately no, unless you are in a suite and then one will be in your stateroom when you board. There are a few other ways to acquire what you want:

1) Grab a soup bowl the first time you visit the Windjammer buffet, fill it with the fruit you want, and bring it back to your cabin, or

2) order one on your first night in the main dining room, or

3) order one from room service ($$)

Funny but true.  Go to the Windjammer and "BYOF"!🍓

20 hours ago, tomcherv said:

Thanks,

On RCCL, your cabin steward is not the person to ask to provide food. That would be a room service function.   As others have suggested, pick up a few pieces of fruit from a food venue to keep in the cabin. We generally pick up while fruit only as that does not need refrigeration. 

M

9 hours ago, GimmeOcean said:

Get a suite and they will leave a plate of fruit. And then take it away in a few days when you don't eat it. Kind of wasteful, tbh. 

We don't eat fruit and I cringe when I see the fruit plate they provide for suites.  Is there a tactful way to "get rid" of it?  Would the cabin steward enjoy it?  We just throw away the fruit as it decays.  What a waste.  It is always in our cabin when we arrive, so doubt we could return it.      

13 hours ago, RoperDK said:

We don't eat fruit and I cringe when I see the fruit plate they provide for suites.  Is there a tactful way to "get rid" of it?  Would the cabin steward enjoy it?  We just throw away the fruit as it decays.  What a waste.  It is always in our cabin when we arrive, so doubt we could return it.      

This is a drop in the bucket compared to the uneaten fruit that gets wasted (and disposed) in the Windjammer buffet every single day.  Same for a lot of other perishable items.

• Thanks 1

On 1/4/2024 at 8:49 AM, rncruiser said:

I remember the days of cruising way back when. A bowl of fruit in your cabin used to be standard. With all the food available I thought it was quite the waste.  I did not miss it when they cut it out. 

I would prefer that they not leave any food items in the cabin that I can procure at no extra cost around the ship. That includes, fruit, cookies, etc. I know what, and when, I want to eat and I dislike just throwing food out. If I want something in the cabin to eat later I'll take care of it.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I would prefer that they not leave any food items in the cabin that I can procure at no extra cost around the ship. That includes, fruit, cookies, etc. I know what, and when, I want to eat and I dislike just throwing food out. If I want something in the cabin to eat later I'll take care of it.

+1

Posted (edited)

DH was a cabin steward many moons ago and at that time they were the ones responsible for delivering room service orders to the passengers. Whenever he fancied something that wasn't available in the crew mess, he would just put in an order for "the passenger in cabin xyz" and eat it himself. Of course, back then there were no delivery charges or he wouldn't have been able to get away with it. 😂

Edited by FionaMG
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Years ago Royal kept a fruit basket stocked and fresh in every Cabin. Can understand ending, lot of waste.

2 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

How many years ago was that?

I've been sailing RCCL for 35 years so it must be prior to then. I can say that a fruit basket was NOT provided in every cabin.    I've received an occasional fruit basket because of  accommodations, C&A status etc.  

M

22 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

How many years ago was that?

I started cruising about 1984. My last cruise in the 80’s was 1989 and my next one after that was 1993. I know the fruit was definitely there in the mid 80’s, but I’m not sure if it was there by 1989, which was my husband’s first cruise. He does not recall the fruit. 

On 1/4/2024 at 6:00 PM, RoperDK said:

When the Concierge reaches out with their customary "week before" e-mail I've asked that they not do this with the cookies and goodies.  I've had hit and miss success with that, so it's worth asking for no fruit.  We do like the fruit though - Lord know we're eating enough stuff that week that's not as good for us.

• Thanks 1

Just checked with DH and in his day a fruit bowl was systematically placed in every room, even interiors, and were replenished daily unless and until the guest told him they didn’t want it.

Of course, this was late 1970s / early '80s before mass-market cruising. And it wasn't on Royal, it was Sitmar.

On 1/3/2024 at 12:00 PM, tomcherv said:

Thanks,

Not even with a lawyer.

• Haha 1