Disembarkation mid-way through the cruise

After planning and paying for a cruise, we have learned of an important family obligation that will occur on the last Saturday of our itinerary. We can no longer cancel for a refund, and trip insurance will not cover.

One solution is to disembark on day 5 in Cozumel and fly home. Is this allowed? We would not just leave the ship, and would obviously notify the cruise line and follow any rules and pay any fees if this is possible. Before I approach RCI, I just wondered if anyone has done this before and if so, how best to approach? Thanks!

You would need to arrange this with both RC and the Mexican government. The government usually doesn’t have immigration officials on standby at cruise ports to process your intake into the country. 

Just now, astro2001 said:

After planning and paying for a cruise, we have learned of an important family obligation that will occur on the last Saturday of our itinerary. We can no longer cancel for a refund, and trip insurance will not cover.

One solution is to disembark on day 5 in Cozumel and fly home. Is this allowed? We would not just leave the ship, and would obviously notify the cruise line and follow any rules and pay any fees if this is possible. Before I approach RCI, I just wondered if anyone has done this before and if so, how best to approach? Thanks!

No longer allowed for North American departures. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

There was a thread recently on the Cozumel board and a similar question with a range of answers. I am not sure the OP ever returned to say what they decided or found out.

presumably first and foremost you all have passports? Cozumel has been used as a port of origination for a certain cruise line so they do have the facilities for processing but I don’t know if it would be possible for one family. Cruisers have a special waiver for stays of less than 24 hours. I don’t know how you would get the necessary documentation for your flight.

Edited by c-leg5

1 hour ago, c-leg5 said:

Cozumel has been used as a port of origination for a certain cruise line so they do have the facilities for processing but I don’t know if it would be possible for one family. Cruisers have a special waiver for stays of less than 24 hours. I don’t know how you would get the necessary documentation for your flight.

I had to disembark Princess early in Puerto Vallarta to fly back to the U.S. for a memorial service.  I knew about it in advance so got permission from Princess ahead of time. 

I had to be downstairs by the purser's desk when the ship docked.  Customs/immigration came onboard, searched all my luggage by hand, and wanted to see my airline reservation leaving the same day.  They stamped my passport as arriving by sea (so customs/immigration at the airport could see I had entered legally).  I had to provide 6 (six!) copies of my documentation (passport and airline reservation I think) and pay them $100 USD in cash.

Not sure if the $100 was a legitimate fee or just an easy way to get $100 out of a gringo who had no choice but to pay it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, astro2001 said:

Before I approach RCI, I just wondered if anyone has done this before and if so, how best to approach?

On the ship on day three claim that you had a death in the family and you would like to disembark in Cozumel.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

I had to disembark Princess early in Puerto Vallarta to fly back to the U.S. for a memorial service.  I knew about it in advance so got permission from Princess ahead of time. 

I had to be downstairs by the purser's desk when the ship docked.  Customs/immigration came onboard, searched all my luggage by hand, and wanted to see my airline reservation leaving the same day.  They stamped my passport as arriving by sea (so customs/immigration at the airport could see I had entered legally).  I had to provide 6 (six!) copies of my documentation (passport and airline reservation I think) and pay them $100 USD in cash.

Not sure if the $100 was a legitimate fee or just an easy way to get $100 out of a gringo who had no choice but to pay it.

The tourist visa for Mexico is about $35 per person.  Think the $100 may have been a "service charge".

11 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Was this postcovid?  

The OP will need to contact RC directly.  Precovid, this could sometimes be arranged depending on the local port resources and  regulations.  Postcovid, there was awhile where it was not being allowed, and hopefully Dallsguy will return to let us know if they were able to arrange an early departure postcovid so we will know if this is not being allowed again.  It's always worth asking since at some point the crusielines may agree to allow early departures again.  

You should call them and discuss this and the possibility of maybe applying your funds to a. different cruise (also something they might not allow, but you won't know until you ask).  Best of luck to you.

2 hours ago, kitkat343 said:

Was this postcovid?  

Yes, but it was on Princess.  I was speaking to the process with Mexican customs/immigration, not necessarily whether. RC would allow a planned early debarkation. 

2 hours ago, puppycanducruise said:

I'm no expert, but keep in mind that leaving the cruise may violate the PVSA.  There may be additional fees.  Perhaps @chengkp75 could add something.

It can't possibly be a PVSA violation if OP is debarking in Mexico. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Yes, but it was on Princess.  I was speaking to the process with Mexican customs/immigration, not necessarily whether. RC would allow a planned early debarkation. 

Thanks -  its  helpful to know that at least one line is allowing this now.  The others will probably eventually follow.

Edited by kitkat343