What does the shuttle bus from Port Chalmers to Dunedin cost?

3 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

We will be in Port Chalmers on a Princess ship later this month and I would like to know the cost of the shuttle bus to Dunedin. Is the cost one-way or return? 

We were there a few days ago.

Shuttle bus was $35 return or $20 one way.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TommyH2006 said:

We were there a few days ago.

Shuttle bus was $35 return or $20 one way.

Was this paid on the ship in AUD or was it paid in NZ currency directly to the bus driver? The last time we caught the shuttle into Dunedin we paid the driver direct.

29 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Was this paid on the ship in AUD or was it paid in NZ currency directly to the bus driver? The last time we caught the shuttle into Dunedin we paid the driver direct.

We didn't actually use the service, but I believe the tickets could be purchased from a shed on the wharf, just as you get off the ship. It wasn't a ship organised transfer/shuttle. 

Just now, TommyH2006 said:

We didn't actually use the service, but I believe the tickets could be purchased from a shed on the wharf, just as you get off the ship. It wasn't a ship organised transfer/shuttle. 

Thank you very much. We are just finalising arrangements for our cruise next week.🙂

The local bus is $3 NZ each, each way but asks for exact money. Saw the sign in Port Chalmers last week aimed at cruise passengers. Think the main stop would be in the main street before you get to the supermarket. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Normanville said:

Not a long walk!

We were going to walk a couple of weeks ago, but for some reason Celebrity organised free shuttle buses from the ship. We had to pay directly to the cruise companies on previous trips via our onboard credit.

1 hour ago, colourbird said:

We were going to walk a couple of weeks ago, but for some reason Celebrity organised free shuttle buses from the ship. We had to pay directly to the cruise companies on previous trips via our onboard credit.

Were you going to walk from Port Chalmers to Dunedin? It is 13.4 km. At a brisk walk, that would take 3.5 hours - each way.

3 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Were you going to walk from Port Chalmers to Dunedin? It is 13.4 km. At a brisk walk, that would take 3.5 hours - each way.

I think this reads as a walk from outside the wharf up to Lyttleton, as this lines up with the free shuttles.

Just now, arxcards said:

I think this reads as a walk from outside the wharf up to Lyttleton, as this lines up with the free shuttles.

Maybe. However this thread refers to a shuttle bus from Port Chalmers to Dunedin and Colourbird quoted Normanville's post that specifically referred to Port Chalmers.

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Maybe. However this thread refers to a shuttle bus from Port Chalmers to Dunedin and Colourbird quoted Normanville's post that specifically referred to Port Chalmers.

True, but when you read the weave over 1/2 dozen of these matching threads, the poster also commented about going into Lyttleton.

I don't know of anyone who would seriously contemplate a hike into Christchurch, even worse when you aren't allowed to walk through the tunnel. To hike up the trails makes it a hilly walk of around 20km each way.

3 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Yes, my wife and I walk all day long. When on a cruise, I start at 4.20am and walk around the ship till breakfast each morning. Then walk off all the food for the rest of the day.

I sometimes make over 45 kms a day.

I walk to and from work each day as well which is 7 kms each way. We walk to the shops, the city, anywhere. 

On our NZ cruise we had one and a half days in Auckland and as we've been there before had no tours booked, so spent most of the days and evening walking around the city to various spots we wanted to visit.

In fact, I get a bit anxious if i'm not doing a lot of walking.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, arxcards said:

No Celebrity did free shuttles from Lyttelton Port to Christchurch and to the township of Lyttelton as well as free shuttles from Port Chalmers to Dunedin.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, colourbird said:

Yes, my wife and I walk all day long. When on a cruise, I start at 4.20am and walk around the ship till breakfast each morning. Then walk off all the food for the rest of the day.

I walk to and from work each day as well which is 7 kms each way. We walk to the shops, the city, anywhere. 

On our NZ cruise we had one and a half days in Auckland and as we've been there before had no tours booked, so spent most of the days and evening walking around the city to various spots we wanted to visit.

Wow! That's a lot of walking. I am very impressed. 🙂

• Thanks 1

For anyone in Lyttleton who wants to do an active scenic walk, walk the Bridle Path up to the gondola. It is steep in places, and would be 7 or 8km round trip. Also a good excuse to do the gondola while up there.

• Like 2

Any NCCL experience with shuttles from Port Chalmers into Dunedin ? We will be on Ovatio.n Thanks to this forum I was made aware of the shuttle access in Lyttelton and Wellington , so hoping to see if Dunedin works similar or is a large payout ? The cruiseline doesnt mention any shuttle dropoffs.

We were on Ovation in February. There were shuttles from the port to downtown Dunedin. I think it was US$25 or so return. Can't be sure as we spent the day in Port Chalmers this time.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/5/2024 at 8:44 PM, colourbird said:

Wow, very impressive 😁

• Like 1

On 1/4/2024 at 11:16 PM, colourbird said:

, but for some reason Celebrity organised free shuttle buses from the ship. 

from ship to the entrance of the port, you are not allowed to walk

shuttles use is mandatory (whether provide by city or port or ship, it should be and usually is free)

shuttle all the way to Christchurch depends on how much money cruise line wants to make off you or subsidize for you

Some upscale cruise line who have already lighted your pockets at the beginning may provide not only bus but the entire excursion for free

Others charge varying amounts

it gets confusing because AZ, US, CND, and NZ all name their currency Dollar and use $ symbol

but since each currency has different value, what gets quoted here is confusing

20 USD, 25 CDN, 30 AUD, 35 NZD are more or less same number of bitcoins at any given minute right now in Jan 2024

Lesson Learned:  Specify currency along with amount ($ is ambiguous)

On 1/8/2024 at 6:12 PM, mr walker said:

We were on Ovation in February. There were shuttles from the port to downtown Dunedin. I think it was US$25 or so return. Can't be sure as we spent the day in Port Chalmers this time.

USD 20 return on Ovation this season in Dunedin

USD10 in Christchurch

Please be considerate to the locals and not use public transport especially at the peak time.

Cities are aware that some folks while paying thousands for the cruise and ridiculous amount for each alcoholic drink on board like to cheapen out when it comes to port to city transfers and hence they try to arrange for more buses during peak hours on cruise days but there is so much they can do.

Local businesses who profit from the cruise industry love cruise ships visit. But for a big majority who are not directly or semi-directly benefitting from cruise ships, hate difficulties created to them by the cruise line pax.  

Christchurch is significantly better than Dunedin in that regard.

Every year there is an organized few times a year against cruise ships visits.

• Like 1