Say it right!

Elvis1209

To be serious for just a moment.  (Hey, it won't kill us.)  I do cut people a lot of slack online since English may not be their first language.  I'm also scared they might make fun of my pitiful French accent or my feeble attempts at "caveman style" Italian!

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Elvis1209 said:

There's something that's been eating away at me for some time.  I've spoken to many Navy Veterans and they all agree on this subject.  When giving the name of a ship you should not precede it with "The".  It is not "The" Beyond, "The" Apex, or "The" Millenium.   It is simply Beyond, Apex, and Millenium.  Refer to a ship as you would refer to your spouse.  They are not "The" Elvis and "The" Priscilla.  They are simply Elvis and Priscilla!  And while we are at it.  You should never shorten  a ship's name.  It is Millenium, not "Millie".  You wouldn't call Titanic...well, you get the idea.  As you can see, I have way topo much time on my hands! 

Elvis

‘Captain Merrill Stubbing of THE Love Boat is holding on Line 2 to speak with you, Elvis!    And Walt Disney is holding on Line 3 to speak to you about Disney’s old The Big Red Boat.  

Should you wish to speak with me directly I will be staying in The Bronx!

image.jpeg

IMG_1178.jpeg

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, TeaBag said:

This is a very entertaining thread.  Thank you Elvis1209 for starting it.

I also hate dinning, especially in Muranos!! 

Speaking of Murano, why is it a French restaurant?  It's a Venetian island?  

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, mom says said:

For some reason, the rest of my post was chopped off. I also wrote that there isn't any reason to always use the full, formal name in most discussions. But I also think that getting ones shorts in a twist over the use of a nickname is an indication of having too much time on one's hands.

Agree. Until this thread was started I never knew it ("the...") bothered some. 

Edited by doghog

19 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

You may refer to myself as The NMTraveller 😂

Misuse of reflexive pronouns is one of my pet peeves...

Though the worst is people who type/say "should of", "could of", and "would of" instead of "should have", "could have", and "would have" (or "should've", "could've", and "would've").

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, mayleeman said:

I have heard many navy people using "the" when referring to a ship in casual usage. I don't use the formal title when referring to Prince William, either. Do we care if someone says Central Park is in Manhattan rather than the Borough of Manhattan?

Trying to change commom usage is like trying to stop wind by holding your hands up!

I cringe when I hear people say " Where is it at".  You don't end a sentence with a preposition and yet EVERYONE( except me) does it.   Newscasters do it, actors do it.  It seems no one knows this grammar rule. 

1 minute ago, calicakes said:

I cringe when I hear people say " Where is it at".  You don't end a sentence with a preposition and yet EVERYONE( except me) does it.   Newscasters do it, actors do it.  It seems no one knows this grammar rule. 

Heck, I still remember that rule...learned it back in the days when diagramming sentences was still being taught in classrooms...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dlh015 said:

Heck, I still remember that rule...learned it back in the days when diagramming sentences was still being taught in classrooms...

Do you practice on a daily basis?  I CRINGE when I hear AT at the end of a sentence and I want so badly to correct people. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TMLAalum said:

Hmmmm.....

My High School is THE Mary Louis Academy in Jamaica Estates NY (hence my cruise critic name) and I root for The Buckeyes of THE Ohio State University!

I tend to refer to Celebrity ships with a /the/ before the name in posts and in conversation, but I noticed my signature is sans the /the/!

How have you been?  Or should I say "How youse guys doin?  It's nice when an old friend chimes in!  Stay well!

Elvis

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, calicakes said:

I'm glad my use of "up" at the end of my post did not violate the rule I learned as "A preposition is a bad thing to end a sentence with."

I did, however, just do 20 minutes of research to allay my fear. If you want to go down a rabbit hole, look up the (dozens of) rules for when "up" is a preposition, adjective, or adverb. Yikes!

9 hours ago, kjc852 said:

‘Captain Merrill Stubbing of THE Love Boat is holding on Line 2 to speak with you, Elvis!    And Walt Disney is holding on Line 3 to speak to you about Disney’s old The Big Red Boat.  

Should you wish to speak with me directly I will be staying in The Bronx!

image.jpeg

IMG_1178.jpeg

When you post on one of these groups it’s best to check facts before submitting.

His name was Stubing and not Stubbing. 

And whilst we’re on this subject why do we debark and not disembark? Are some of us quiet dogs?

In the words of Winston Churchill, “British and Americans are one people separated by a common language”.

13 hours ago, calicakes said:

"Between the A and the T!" is the standard response.  Many of us were taught the rule but many rules go out the door depending on the audience. 

• Like 1

On 1/5/2024 at 2:27 AM, Travelling2Some said:

I have a friend who only learned to speak English a few years ago and the proper use of the word "the" trips her up frequently.  She always refers to her husband as "the Michael" 

Thankfully she didn't marry a Peter.

As someone already mentioned, a big problem with Celebrity is that they choose things that are hard to spell.  Poor Luminaire.  Luminay?  Lumenaynay?

And now they're just making up words like Xcel.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

As someone already mentioned, a big problem with Celebrity is that they choose things that are hard to spell.  Poor Luminaire.  Luminay?  Lumenaynay?

And now they're just making up words like Xcel.

X is not the only company to use the name Luminae.
And they weren’t the first, or only company to use Xcel either..

Google is your friend. 😉

2 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

X is not the only company to use the name Luminae.
And they weren’t the first, or only company to use Xcel either..

Google is your friend. 😉

What does that have to do with choosing things that are hard to spell?  You see the mangling of the restaurant name on these boards almost every day.  Never mind that Silhouette and Millennium are hard to spell because of the double letters, as other examples (and a big reason why you see nicknames instead). 

Xcel is easy to spell but doesn't make brand sense.  Points to an identity crises, which of course we're seeing daily.  And of course a good deal of the North American market already associate that spelling with the energy company while a bigger chunk are going to immediately think of Microsoft products instead, regardless of spelling. 

2 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

What does that have to do with choosing things that are hard to spell?  You see the mangling of the restaurant name on these boards almost every day.  Never mind that Silhouette and Millennium are hard to spell because of the double letters, as other examples (and a big reason why you see nicknames instead). 

Xcel is easy to spell but doesn't make brand sense.  Points to an identity crises, which of course we're seeing daily.  And of course a good deal of the North American market already associate that spelling with the energy company while a bigger chunk are going to immediately think of Microsoft products instead, regardless of spelling. 

I guess I should have added that I do not find Luminae hard to spell.

I also disagree with you about Xcel. No one should be confused, as the Ship's name is “Celebrity Xcel.”

Moving on… ☮️

15 hours ago, calicakes said:

15 hours ago, dlh015 said:

I could be (probably am) wrong, but thought this was one of the rules that is kind of acknowledged as no longer applicable.  Kind of like who/whom.   

15 hours ago, calicakes said:

Wasn't it Winston Churchill who, after being corrected by an underling for this, said (or wrote): "This is the sort of nonsense up with which I shall not put !! .?