Say it right!

Elvis1209

There's something that's been eating away at me for some time.  I've spoken to many Navy Veterans and they all agree on this subject.  When giving the name of a ship you should not precede it with "The".  It is not "The" Beyond, "The" Apex, or "The" Millenium.   It is simply Beyond, Apex, and Millenium.  Refer to a ship as you would refer to your spouse.  They are not "The" Elvis and "The" Priscilla.  They are simply Elvis and Priscilla!  And while we are at it.  You should never shorten  a ship's name.  It is Millenium, not "Millie".  You wouldn't call Titanic...well, you get the idea.  As you can see, I have way topo much time on my hands! 

Elvis

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

46 minutes ago, Elvis1209 said:

There's something that's been eating away at me for some time.  I've spoken to many Navy Veterans and they all agree on this subject.  When giving the name of a ship you should not precede it with "The".  It is not "The" Beyond, "The" Apex, or "The" Millenium.   It is simply Beyond, Apex, and Millenium.  Refer to a ship as you would refer to your spouse.  They are not "The" Elvis and "The" Priscilla.  They are simply Elvis and Priscilla!  And while we are at it.  You should never shorten  a ship's name.  It is Millenium, not "Millie".  You wouldn't call Titanic...well, you get the idea.  As you can see, I have way topo much time on my hands! 

Elvis

You may refer to myself as The NMTraveller 😂

• Haha 7

Posted (edited)

My wife would cut me off forever if I ever said the wife. 😱😢

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Elvis1209 said:

... It is Millenium, not "Millie".  You wouldn't call Titanic...well, you get the idea.  As you can see, I have way topo much time on my hands! 

Elvis

Since you brought up the topic of pet peeves... I have been silently sighing every time I see Millennium misspelled. 😪

• Haha 13

1 hour ago, SFCAcruiser said:

Since you brought up the topic of pet peeves... I have been silently sighing every time I see Millennium misspelled. 😪

Sorry, I was using spell check!  Maybe I should just call it "Millie".  No, maybe not!

Elvis

• Haha 4

I have a friend who only learned to speak English a few years ago and the proper use of the word "the" trips her up frequently.  She always refers to her husband as "the Michael"  It's incorrect yet cute.  And then there is always "The Donald".

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Elvis1209 said:

Elvis

Guilty as charged! Once I understand the correct usage I’m embarrassed enough to never make the mistake again. So thank you for that, as I ’ve often wondered which way was correct.

Posted (edited)

I have heard many navy people using "the" when referring to a ship in casual usage. I don't use the formal title when referring to Prince William, either. Do we care if someone says Central Park is in Manhattan rather than the Borough of Manhattan?

Trying to change commom usage is like trying to stop wind by holding your hands up!

Edited by mayleeman
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, mayleeman said:

Trying to change common usage is like trying to stop rain by holding your hands up.

Perhaps.

But if OP can stop even one person from calling a magnificent ship something normally reserved for a pet poodle ("Millie" , "Connie"),  then it is a good day, IMO. 

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, EatonDoolittle said:

Perhaps.

But if OP can stop even one person from calling a magnificent ship something normally reserved for a pet poodle ("Millie" , "Connie"),  then it is a good day, IMO. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_warships_by_nickname

We need to tell the Brits not to call HMS Nelson "Nellie" among others

Does "Old Ironsides" bother you? 🤔 

Elvis you are absolutely correct about use of “the”, but many ship nicknames are started by their crew not just arbitrarily assigned by outsiders.

One of the worst nicknames was when the grand old Cunard liner “Berengaria” was reduced to cheap cruises to nowhere in the Depression she became known as “Bargain Area”.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SFCAcruiser said:

Years back - The big blue tent they use at ports had it misspelled.    It got a lot of chuckles. 

It is also a pet peeve of mine, these gorgeous ladies are not mere things xD

The boat thing also gets me, however, as my wife proved, technically they are boats. All ships are boats, but not all boats are ships.

As for nicknames, well, as we have moved away from referring to them as things, I think nicknames are ok. I use Sillie...

10 hours ago, Elvis1209 said:

Elvis

I hear you....I am not a fan of Silly, Millie, Connie nicknames either.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I am so confused by this. I will use the Disney Magic to make the sentence more fun.

So am I suppose to say which of the 3?

1. I sailed on Magic last week

2. I sailed on the Magic last week

3. I sailed on the Disney Magic last week

1 sounds ridiculous and 2 and 3 work to me.

By the way the english language sucks and should be banned lol. Even growing up with it nobody knows all of the stupid little rules.

For the record I like the nicknames, and they are used on cars too. For example Tacomas are generally referred to as tacos.

Edited by cgolf1
  • Like 2