Differences Between the Prima and the Viva

Posted (edited)

I have been on the Prima and I will be sailing on the Viva next year. I have been reading posts to see what to expect. It seems like (other than decor) they are very similar, but I found myself wondering what the differences are. Enter the Internet and an article from Forbes published 8/20/23. Some I already knew, but some I did not. Here's what was reported:

More capacity in Indulge food hall and restaurants

The removal of the second onboard Starbucks venue has allowed more seating space in the Indulge Food Hall. NCL determined that the space was not necessary on Norwegian Prima because it was only being utilized during certain morning hours. There are more seats outside Indulge Food Hall, too. 

In fact, the overall capacity for all of the restaurants aboard the Viva is greater than on the Prima.

Additional seating is also available on the Viva in two of the music and comedy club venues.

Soft-Serve Ice Cream

Another change on the Viva is a new soft-serve ice cream station.

New Starbucks mug series

new collaboration between Norwegian and Starbucks is creating a new “Been There” mug series dedicated to different ships. These are popular collector’s items from travelers that scour the world for Starbucks stores that sell them. Norwegian Viva is the launch ship for this new project.

New menu changes

On Norwegian Prima, the culinary team expanded the menu significantly to provide more choices, but with the intention of using the same options on a daily basis. Passengers didn’t react in the same way they had hoped, and it will switch back to a smaller rotating menu that changes each day.

More light in the cabin

A new switch on the vanity mirror gives travelers extra light in the cabin, which was a request of some travelers aboard Norwegian Prima. Norwegian officials say it was an easy fix, confirming that the line does take recommendations from its traveler surveys.

Better mattresses

The cabins on the Viva have new mattresses that feature a pillowtop cover designed to improve sleeping comfort. 

More water pressure in the shower

A better water flow mechanism allows for stronger water pressure in the cabin showers. 

More protection for smokers

The outdoor smoking section on one of the top decks is now covered from the sun. It was also redesigned to permit a bit more air flow and breezes.

Edited by Greenpea2
Typos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Greenpea2 said:

Soft-Serve Ice Cream

Another change on the Viva is a new soft-serve ice cream station.

I doubt it's actually ice cream. Every soft-serve machine we've seen on NCL is actually fairly tasteless ice milk. HUGE difference...

Are they talking about something other than the ice cream machine in the buffet?

Also, the menu is back to rotating on the Prima and they also have the Been There mugs in the Starbucks.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Liljo22 said:

Are they talking about something other than the ice cream machine in the buffet?

Also, the menu is back to rotating on the Prima and they also have the Been There mugs in the Starbucks.

Yes, the article said this changes would be coming to other ships as well. The article was written last August, so I'm not surprised it has started. And yes, the soft-serve ice cream (or ice milk, whatever, both taste good to me) is on another deck--can't remember where. Someone else mentioned where in their review.

Edited by Greenpea2

I think other changes must have been made in the bathrooms.  I had previously seen criticism of lack of hooks and shelves/storage space on Prima.  But in ship tours I've watched of Viva, those deficiencies seem to have been addressed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

I doubt it's actually ice cream. Every soft-serve machine we've seen on NCL is actually fairly tasteless ice milk. HUGE difference...

I really liked the soft serve on The Joy when I sailed in 2022.  Last April on the Prima it was inedible.  I was on the Escape in October and it was meh.  Not completely awful like the Prima but I think I had only 2-3 cones the entire trip.

1 hour ago, stinkyharriet said:

I really liked the soft serve on The Joy when I sailed in 2022.  Last April on the Prima it was inedible.  I was on the Escape in October and it was meh.  Not completely awful like the Prima but I think I had only 2-3 cones the entire trip.

Our last two cruises were on the Escape and the Prima. If you closed your eyes and used your imagination, you could almost taste something. Well, almost. Sounds like I need to try the Joy. But that would be a lot of money just to get a good soft-serve cone. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

Our last two cruises were on the Escape and the Prima. If you closed your eyes and used your imagination, you could almost taste something. Well, almost. Sounds like I need to try the Joy. But that would be a lot of money just to get a good soft-serve cone. 

I wonder if the mix they get varies.  Same ship might have a good mix, move to a new area, and end up with garbage. The stuff on the Prima was really goopy, like gel.  It stretched and was extremely unpleasant.

I went on my first NCL cruise last July on the Joy and wondered why @schmoopie17 thought it was so inedible. Maybe the Joy's is better. I'll be on the Viva in March so hoping it's not as bad as Prima's; I was excited that they had added another machine but now, it sounds like I might not be using either of them!

• Like 1

I do wish they had changed the blowdryer location--just read a review that mirrored my own experience on the Prima. It's attached to the wall behind the sink, by the floor. You pull it out through the cabinet. I am 5'4" and had to bend over to get the air on my hair! Will be bringing my own on the Viva next year!

1 hour ago, Greenpea2 said:

I do wish they had changed the blowdryer location ... Will be bringing my own on the Viva next year!

You naughty girl you.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2024 at 10:15 AM, Liljo22 said:

It’s the same machine as the buffet, but there is another station located outside on deck 8. It’s hours were limited and I think were similar to Indulge lunch and dinner hours. 

3 hours ago, Lew Port said:

We  just got off  Viva and the hair dryer is located in the cabin by the desk/mirror.  

We had 2 regular balconies on the Prima recently and the hair dryers were in the room too, under the desk/vanity table next to the mini refrigerator ... Not in the bathroom

PXL_20231120_132305841.MP.jpg

PXL_20231120_132412180.MP.jpg

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Sailed on the Prima twice and Viva once. The hair dryer is always out under the desk. I have never seen anything electrical in an NCL bathroom.

image.png.d0ec783ab322aadc46d3cedb4075450c.png

You haven’t looked very well if you have never seen anything electrical in an NCL bathroom. I have never sailed on an NCL ship,that does not have an electrical outlet for shavers in the bathroom. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, zqvol said:

You haven’t looked very well if you have never seen anything electrical in an NCL bathroom. I have never sailed on an NCL ship,that does not have an electrical outlet for shavers in the bathroom. 

You are sooooo smart.

If you follow me as much as it seems, I include a picture of the shaver plug in my live posts. And I use that plug to charge my tooth brush on every cruise. 

BUT, NCL never puts a hair dryer or anything else electrical in the bathroom near water, which is the comment that I was referring to. And I think that you knew very well that is what I was trying to say in my post.

On 1/17/2024 at 1:11 PM, mking8288 said:

We had 2 regular balconies on the Prima recently and the hair dryers were in the room too, under the desk/vanity table next to the mini refrigerator ... Not in the bathroom

PXL_20231120_132305841.MP.jpg

PXL_20231120_132412180.MP.jpg

Amazingly, that is where the hair dryer is located on the Breakaway and Bliss.